Konerko - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Konerko

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby daullaz » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:27 am

If the BoSox can find a taker for Manny, I could definitely see them making a play for Konerko. They're definitely a team in need of a first-baseman.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Surfs up » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:26 am

The Yankees could still be buyers even with Giambi.Giambi would move to DH and spell Konerko from time to time. That would give them power from the right and left side at first base. Can you imagine Konerko in that lineup?If they get pitching they would be very tough to beat.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby BritSox » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:52 am

He's said that he wants to go to the West Coast if he doesn't stay put, hasn't he? I'd have thought the likely destination, if not staying put, would be San Francisco.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby RynMan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:00 am

Perhaps Phatferd could help me out here but if the Angels were to sign Konerko, what then do they do with guys like Kotchman and Morales? I long term signing of Konerko would block both of those guys.....that's also provided Erstad moves into the outfield.....where there are already 3 guys with multiyear deals..... :-o

Also, what do they do with Brandon (?) Wood.....are the gonna trade Cabrera to make room for him? Man that organization is gonna be tough in the future....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby brandnew » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:41 pm

Ryn I was thinking the same thing... they have both Kotchman AND Morales... doesn't it make more sense to go after an OF'er, and/or a DH? Rivera could be a good ballplayer, but Anderson and Finley are really bad.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:42 pm

how about signing konerko and moving morales to LF and rivera to CF?
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Jury » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:42 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:Well if my memory's correct, Sexson got $48 million over four years, and that was with an injury risk attached. I would have to think that Konerko would get more than Sexson.

The Yanks would probably like a 40+ HR first baseman, but you have to think they'll stick with Giambi at this point. I could definitely see the Mets going after him hard, although you have to wonder about a homerun hitter going to Shea.

I feel like it would make a lot of sense for him to go to the Blue Jays, who want a power bat and have some extra money to spend. I haven't heard much talk of it though.

Reports are that the White Sox will offer Konerko the same 4-year deal for $48M, which is fair because the two are excellent comparisons to each other. But Konerko will probably cash in big time this winter.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:18 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:Well if my memory's correct, Sexson got $48 million over four years, and that was with an injury risk attached. I would have to think that Konerko would get more than Sexson.

The Yanks would probably like a 40+ HR first baseman, but you have to think they'll stick with Giambi at this point. I could definitely see the Mets going after him hard, although you have to wonder about a homerun hitter going to Shea.

I feel like it would make a lot of sense for him to go to the Blue Jays, who want a power bat and have some extra money to spend. I haven't heard much talk of it though.

i agree that the yankess should stick with giambi and i don't see him going to the bronx.

as for konerko going to the blue jays, i don't know about that either. i don't think they would give konekro as much as some of the other teams interested in him would give him. they let delgado (4 years - $52 Mi) go and it showed that they need a power bat in the lineup, but there is just too much competition for the jays to sign him.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby dyuen87 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:24 pm

Surfs up wrote:The Yankees could still be buyers even with Giambi.Giambi would move to DH and spell Konerko from time to time. That would give them power from the right and left side at first base. Can you imagine Konerko in that lineup?If they get pitching they would be very tough to beat.

nah the yankees already have enough power in that lineup. they need people that can get on base in front of the sluggers. plus their top talent is going to be their future first baseman, Eric Duncan. if giambi doesnt pan out, duncan will get a shot before any 1b FAs are signed.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants! » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:03 pm

hes definitely gonna get his money as the red sox and angels and others are gonna have a bidding war for him with the small free agent market.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers