Who is this guy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is this guy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is this guy?

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:32 am

Mike Jacobs?

Are these numbers for real? He is listed as a Catcher on CBS but only played 1B last year? Help.

AB-100 R-19 HR-11 RBI-23 SB-0 .310

Is he a sleeper?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:30 am

He's had a decent minor league career:

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/teams/player_bio. ... ubName=NYN

he was the Mets 2003 organizational player fo the year, then tailed off in 2004, but picked it back up in 2005. He's usually been just off the "Top Ten" list of Mets prospects.

The ? may be whether the Mets trust him enough to play him. He's struggling in the Venezuelan winter league right now.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby stevethumb » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:43 am

could be kevin maas....i saw him a few times in portland when the bnghmptn mets came to town...big guy w/a hole in his swing and was a DH those games ...i doubt if the mets would trust him w/anything more than a backup catching role and backup 1B
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:29 am

well from what ive heard around new york city is that if the mets can get manny to the mets then 1b might be a platoon of jacobs and doug men. kid definitely has power and isnt a defensive liability, so he may see a lot of the time there. if manny comes to the mets and they dont go after overbay, jacobs will be your 1b with C eligibility in some formats.

like every youngster/prospect be wary. he has holes in his swing, but over time i think he's good enough to fix that in the future.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nuclear29 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:52 pm

McSandwich isn;t coming back to the Mets. I heard this week on the radio that he told some Minnesota newspaper that if the Mets pick up his option, he'd retire. He said the Mets organization is all screwed up. Not to hijack the thread, but the Mets were screwed up to sign him in the first place. Guy hits .230 and complains about management? Come on.

Might be if they get Manny they could afford to play Jacobs full time at 1st and back up whoever is catching. We'll see how he looks in the Spring.
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:55 pm

Nuclear29 wrote:McSandwich isn;t coming back to the Mets. I heard this week on the radio that he told some Minnesota newspaper that if the Mets pick up his option, he'd retire. He said the Mets organization is all screwed up. Not to hijack the thread, but the Mets were screwed up to sign him in the first place. Guy hits .230 and complains about management? Come on.

Might be if they get Manny they could afford to play Jacobs full time at 1st and back up whoever is catching. We'll see how he looks in the Spring.

I read that about McSandwich too ;-7
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:22 pm

wrveres wrote:
Nuclear29 wrote:McSandwich isn;t coming back to the Mets. I heard this week on the radio that he told some Minnesota newspaper that if the Mets pick up his option, he'd retire. He said the Mets organization is all screwed up. Not to hijack the thread, but the Mets were screwed up to sign him in the first place. Guy hits .230 and complains about management? Come on.

where? i'm from ny and i haven't heard that yet. not that it really matters. doug is on his way out. jacobs could replace him, but i dunno if randolph or management have enough faith in him.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:36 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
wrveres wrote:

where? i'm from ny and i haven't heard that yet. not that it really matters. doug is on his way out. jacobs could replace him, but i dunno if randolph or management have enough faith in him.

I heard it. The exact quote is:

Douglas A. Mientkiewicz wrote:I don't know why they would pick up my option, but if they do, I might quit. I'm serious. I don't want to be back there. I always thought Minnesota was a great place to play. After a year with the Mets, an organization that doesn't have a clue, I know that for sure.

Better to hear that from a .200 hitter who spends time on the DL than David Wright or Cliff Floyd, IMO. Let him go. I don't want him back anyway.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:30 pm

Doug M. is just trying to seal the deal. Crappy way to go about it but oh well.

I think what was said above is accurate. The Mets need a big bat so Jacobs future with the team depends entirely on where they can plug in that bat. I hope that everything falls into place so that he gets his shot.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:39 pm

get that chump outta here. let's see what jacobs can do now. i wonder if they give him a shot before they deal for a guy like overbay or something.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers