Who is this guy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is this guy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is this guy?

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:32 am

Mike Jacobs?

Are these numbers for real? He is listed as a Catcher on CBS but only played 1B last year? Help.

Image

AB-100 R-19 HR-11 RBI-23 SB-0 .310

Is he a sleeper?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2796
Joined: 10 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Looking over your shoulder as you type.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:30 am

He's had a decent minor league career:

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/teams/player_bio. ... ubName=NYN

he was the Mets 2003 organizational player fo the year, then tailed off in 2004, but picked it back up in 2005. He's usually been just off the "Top Ten" list of Mets prospects.

The ? may be whether the Mets trust him enough to play him. He's struggling in the Venezuelan winter league right now.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby stevethumb » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:43 am

could be kevin maas....i saw him a few times in portland when the bnghmptn mets came to town...big guy w/a hole in his swing and was a DH those games ...i doubt if the mets would trust him w/anything more than a backup catching role and backup 1B
Image
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 4041
Joined: 2 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: cloud 9

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:29 am

well from what ive heard around new york city is that if the mets can get manny to the mets then 1b might be a platoon of jacobs and doug men. kid definitely has power and isnt a defensive liability, so he may see a lot of the time there. if manny comes to the mets and they dont go after overbay, jacobs will be your 1b with C eligibility in some formats.

like every youngster/prospect be wary. he has holes in his swing, but over time i think he's good enough to fix that in the future.
Image
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2514
Joined: 26 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nuclear29 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:52 pm

McSandwich isn;t coming back to the Mets. I heard this week on the radio that he told some Minnesota newspaper that if the Mets pick up his option, he'd retire. He said the Mets organization is all screwed up. Not to hijack the thread, but the Mets were screwed up to sign him in the first place. Guy hits .230 and complains about management? Come on.

Might be if they get Manny they could afford to play Jacobs full time at 1st and back up whoever is catching. We'll see how he looks in the Spring.
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 451
Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ...in a Strange Land.

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:55 pm

Nuclear29 wrote:McSandwich isn;t coming back to the Mets. I heard this week on the radio that he told some Minnesota newspaper that if the Mets pick up his option, he'd retire. He said the Mets organization is all screwed up. Not to hijack the thread, but the Mets were screwed up to sign him in the first place. Guy hits .230 and complains about management? Come on.

Might be if they get Manny they could afford to play Jacobs full time at 1st and back up whoever is catching. We'll see how he looks in the Spring.


I read that about McSandwich too ;-7
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31778
(Past Year: 754)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:22 pm

wrveres wrote:
Nuclear29 wrote:McSandwich isn;t coming back to the Mets. I heard this week on the radio that he told some Minnesota newspaper that if the Mets pick up his option, he'd retire. He said the Mets organization is all screwed up. Not to hijack the thread, but the Mets were screwed up to sign him in the first place. Guy hits .230 and complains about management? Come on.

Might be if they get Manny they could afford to play Jacobs full time at 1st and back up whoever is catching. We'll see how he looks in the Spring.


I read that about McSandwich too ;-7


where? i'm from ny and i haven't heard that yet. not that it really matters. doug is on his way out. jacobs could replace him, but i dunno if randolph or management have enough faith in him.
Image
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Postby DK » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:36 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Nuclear29 wrote:McSandwich isn;t coming back to the Mets. I heard this week on the radio that he told some Minnesota newspaper that if the Mets pick up his option, he'd retire. He said the Mets organization is all screwed up. Not to hijack the thread, but the Mets were screwed up to sign him in the first place. Guy hits .230 and complains about management? Come on.

Might be if they get Manny they could afford to play Jacobs full time at 1st and back up whoever is catching. We'll see how he looks in the Spring.


I read that about McSandwich too ;-7


where? i'm from ny and i haven't heard that yet. not that it really matters. doug is on his way out. jacobs could replace him, but i dunno if randolph or management have enough faith in him.


I heard it. The exact quote is:

Douglas A. Mientkiewicz wrote:I don't know why they would pick up my option, but if they do, I might quit. I'm serious. I don't want to be back there. I always thought Minnesota was a great place to play. After a year with the Mets, an organization that doesn't have a clue, I know that for sure.


Better to hear that from a .200 hitter who spends time on the DL than David Wright or Cliff Floyd, IMO. Let him go. I don't want him back anyway.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:30 pm

Doug M. is just trying to seal the deal. Crappy way to go about it but oh well.

I think what was said above is accurate. The Mets need a big bat so Jacobs future with the team depends entirely on where they can plug in that bat. I hope that everything falls into place so that he gets his shot.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:39 pm

get that chump outta here. let's see what jacobs can do now. i wonder if they give him a shot before they deal for a guy like overbay or something.
Image
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact