Average lifespan of keeper leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Average lifespan of keeper leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Average lifespan of keeper leagues

Postby Iconoclastic » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:30 pm

So I'm wondering how long the average keeper leagues lasts. How did it end? Was it one catastrophic event or gradually diminished interest?

I've got one keeper league that's going strong into its 6th year with 13 competitors. We replace two or three deadbeats every year but most of the original owners are still around.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:54 pm

Probably dies down when majority of the managers don't want to continue it. Most lose interest or don't have time for it and then I guess that's how it ends.

Some leagues are supposed to be keepers, but by the end of the year, all of the managers are not checking because they are either not contending or bored.

My guess would be about 3 or maybe 4 years on average for a keeper league.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:50 am

I bet if you looked at a full scope of fantasy baseball leagues in the world, results would show that many keeper leagues are abandoned after only 1 year. Unfortunately, that is probably a keeper league's average "lifespan." When joining a keeper league, you should always make sure that its members, and especially the commissioner, have no intention of abandoning it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:33 am

it all depends. just find some dedicated people and it should be fine. i've been doing a league with the same people since 1998 and this is the first time we did a keeper. i guess leagues that have a little money on the line will keeper owners more involved.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stevethumb » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:53 am

i play in a 13 team NL only 3 yr cycle league that has been around since 1987 (i joined in '94)..8 of the same teams have been in it since '94 (we have expanded by 2 teams since inception)..we used to be a 5 yr cycle but too many players were being held for too long making auctions in the 3rd and 4th years pretty slim so we went w/ a 3 yr cycle in 1997 and it has been just right
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Surfs up » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:08 pm

My AL only 12 team keeper has been going for 7 years. We have seven of the orginal owners. Each year we replace one or two . We are the most active of the twelve so it seems. We play it for fun but first place is worth $120.00 and fifth place is worth $80.00. Not big money but a very fun league with a good bunch of owners. We communicate often and get together three or four times a year. I was also in a 16 team mixed and those guys were such sticks in the mud . No off season activity or communication. I was bored. Two years was enough for me. One league keeps me fresh and focused on my team.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)

Postby Half Massed » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:32 pm

Depends on the owners in the league. If there's a solid core of motivated owners, the league will continue for a while, even though some owners may cycle through.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:44 pm

Also depends on what you consider keep going to be defined by and what rules you are using.

If you have a 10 team, 8 leeper league for instance, you are probably looking at 3-5 years before you will either lose a lot of owners that will be difficult to replace or you will have a top heavy stratification. That meaning that 4 or 5 teams have very good players, a couple have OK keepers and 3 or 4 are basically inept and hopelessly ouut of contention. It is hard to get a new owner to take over a team of 8 keepers where he has no one (or only 1 or 2) players worth squat. At that point, you either have to abandon the league, cut the hopeless owners a bone by lettig them play for free or on the cheap (assuming a money league) or cut down the keeper count to 4 or so to re-balance the league out. Technically this may be the same league, but in reality it is a sizeable re-alignment and quite different.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby garf112 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:27 pm

I guess I got pretty lucky with my league. My friends and I have been playing in a 12 team 8 keeper league since 2001. We have modified the rules a bit (it started as a 6 keeper league), but for the most part things have stayed the same. I believe since that first year we have lost only two owners, who were then replaced. We are proud to say that we have had the same ownership group since 2002. Our league fee is $50, and it goes up every year (I believe that by 2007 it will be $100). This keeps people involved. No team is so bad that they can't turn things around. One of the reasons for this is that you can trade draft picks. This allows those with less keepers to gain good players from teams that have over 8 keeper-type players. And since draft picks are overvalued (I got A.J. Burnett last offseason for a 6th rounder, and someone else got hideki Matsui for a 7th rounder), it keeps things pretty even. Bottom line is our league rules. It helps that we are all friends, and get together two or three times a year to discuss rules, trades and everything else.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:45 pm

The 10 team 7 keeper league that I'm in has been around for 7 years now. It's a bunch of guys that started the league during our senior years of HS and now we're all through college. We've only lost 3 guys over the 7 years too so I'm pretty happy with this league. I would guess that this is the exception to the rule. I would guess keeper leagues last 2-3 years on average.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers