Brain Giles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brain Giles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:21 pm

Half Massed wrote:His value spikes if he leaves SD. I don't know why the article listed Oakland as a possibility, if he was a righty he'd be the perfect fit, but I don't see management paying a lot for a piece that isn't exactly what they're looking for.

You're right HM. Giles won't be in Oakland....makes you wonder how much thought the writers ACTUALLY put into these things before they write them. He has a very good OBP, so he MUST be a good fit for Oakland. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:14 am

I could also see the Giants looking at him if they don't bring Winn back. He could play Center between Barry and Alou and could flourish with the short right field porch.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sdfan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:27 am

When considering where he'll head, it may be important to consider where he listed in his no trade clause. While money can obviously change things, I know for one the Yankees were on his no trade clause on his last contract.
sdfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BritSox » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:32 am

sdfan wrote:When considering where he'll head, it may be important to consider where he listed in his no trade clause. While money can obviously change things, I know for one the Yankees were on his no trade clause on his last contract.

I believe he had a no-trade to everywhere except the NL West and Atlanta.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:53 pm

rotoworld wrote:Agent Joe Bick said the Mariners have expressed interest in free agent Brian Giles.

"Certainly, the Mariners are among those we would be serious with," Bick said. "He wants to play where someone is interested in winning. He'd like to be in the playoffs. With a few pieces, there's no reason why they couldn't." Well, perhaps with a few very good pieces. The Mariners are joining the Cardinals and Indians in pursuing Giles. The Padres have pulled their three-year, $21 million offer off the table for now, although they remain interested in re-signing him.

If the Padres did pull their offer that is good news for the Cards. Could also mean that the Pads are getting ready to offer Hoffman what he wants.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:04 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
rotoworld wrote:Agent Joe Bick said the Mariners have expressed interest in free agent Brian Giles.

"Certainly, the Mariners are among those we would be serious with," Bick said. "He wants to play where someone is interested in winning. He'd like to be in the playoffs. With a few pieces, there's no reason why they couldn't." Well, perhaps with a few very good pieces. The Mariners are joining the Cardinals and Indians in pursuing Giles. The Padres have pulled their three-year, $21 million offer off the table for now, although they remain interested in re-signing him.

If the Padres did pull their offer that is good news for the Cards. Could also mean that the Pads are getting ready to offer Hoffman what he wants.

Having him in Cleveland would be really interesting too. It's definitely a playoff team if that's what they are looking for and he would be a great leader for the young guys.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:07 pm

Music2004Man wrote:Having him in Cleveland would be really interesting too. It's definitely a playoff team if that's what they are looking for and he would be a great leader for the young guys.
It would be very interesting but I don't think Cleveland has that much $$$ to spread around and most of it should be spent on pitching.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:04 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:Having him in Cleveland would be really interesting too. It's definitely a playoff team if that's what they are looking for and he would be a great leader for the young guys.
It would be very interesting but I don't think Cleveland has that much $$$ to spread around and most of it should be spent on pitching.

I had heard that they are interested in resigning Millwood and if that's the case then I totally agree that they probably won't have the money to spend on Giles.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:41 pm

3/$21... :-?

Not terrible, I guess. I thought he'd get more per year. I agree with the opinion on here that it would be better from an ownership perspective to see him in a two-year deal with an option.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:18 pm

rotoworld wrote:Brian Giles, who turned down $21 million over three years from the Padres last month, passed on an improved offer which would have paid him $25.5 million for three years.
Giles could make at least $10 million per year for three years as a free agent and might prefer to play to in a park more suited for big offensive numbers. The Cardinals are expected to show a lot of interest. The Padres will probably look at Jacque Jones once they've given up on re-signing Giles

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see the Cards going over 3 years and $30 million. I'm not even sure how comfortable I am with that. :-o
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers