Brain Giles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brain Giles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:18 pm

I can't see him ending up in Atlanta, even though his brother is there, because he would be the only player they would be able to pick up. I think there is a good chance he could end up with the Cubs or St. Louis. The Angels would also be a good fit if he wants to stay on the West Coast. They have the prospects to deal in return. It should be interesting to see where he ends up.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:32 pm

rich101682 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
rich101682 wrote:How about the Cubs? The Sosa $$ comes off the books, and he'd be pretty good over the prospect of having Burnitz back again.
It is possible they declined Burnitz's option today. I would think Furcal or Damon would be more of a priority though.

Well if they got Furcal, that would make not getting Damon OK since Furcal can hit leadoff.

Nomar said he would play left to stay with the team, and stick Murton in CF. Then you could have a lineup that looks like this:

Furcal
Murton
Lee
Ramirez
Giles
Garciaparra
Cedeno (or whoever the 2b is)
Barrett

That looks pretty good. The bullpen is another issue though...

They exercised Walkers option, so he'll be at 2nd. I'd probably put the order, if they got Furcal and Giles, at
Furcal
Giles
Lee
Ramirez
Murtion
Walker
Garciaparra
Barett
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:42 pm

I have a hard time believing the Cubs are going to spend on Furcal, Nomar and Giles. Furcal and Giles should be around $20 million.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby rich101682 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:20 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I have a hard time believing the Cubs are going to spend on Furcal, Nomar and Giles. Furcal and Giles should be around $20 million.

WHich would be only $2 million more than they had to pay Sosa and Burnitz last year.

Maybe it's just me who thinks Garciaparra would sign with the Cubs (or anyone really) for a lot less than he's used to making. Last year was pretty humbling for him IMO.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:55 am

rich101682 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I have a hard time believing the Cubs are going to spend on Furcal, Nomar and Giles. Furcal and Giles should be around $20 million.

WHich would be only $2 million more than they had to pay Sosa and Burnitz last year.

Maybe it's just me who thinks Garciaparra would sign with the Cubs (or anyone really) for a lot less than he's used to making. Last year was pretty humbling for him IMO.

Rich,

What do you think he's looking to make? I wouldn't say he signs for any less than 6 mil and I think it will be a one year deal to re-establish himself.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:25 am

rich101682 wrote:

And Henry did a great job spending the $$$ when Alou and Clement left. ;-7 More importantly D. Lee is a free agent after 2006. If the Cubs commit that much money is there going to be any left to sign Lee?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:38 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:They exercised Walkers option, so he'll be at 2nd. I'd probably put the order, if they got Furcal and Giles, at
Furcal
Giles
Lee
Ramirez
Murtion
Walker
Garciaparra
Barett

I'd say that signing both Furcal and Giles is a better than 70% probability. I say that b/c the Cubs have to sign either Damon or Furcal b/c its too early to just hand over the leadoff spot to Cedeno. Signing Nomar to play short is unlikely, even if he's cheap b/c he is a liability in the sense that if he goes down again, no matter how little we're paying him, it still does us no good if we're trying to win a WS. That leaves Furcal as the only serious option at SS. With him to lead off, we don't need Damon for the price and duration of contract Boras will want. Giles is just a natural fit in RF and the Cubs have the Sosa money to spend and the White Sox WS hanging over their heads to spend more, along wih the new revenues from the bleacher add-on next year. Money is not an issue. As depressing as it sounds, the Cubs starting CF will be Patterson, which works out OK in the sense that he has been least bad in the 7th spot, which is the only open spot in my projected lineup. An OF of Murton, Nomar, and Giles is way too big of a defensive liability.

Furcal
Walker
Lee
Giles
Ramirez
Murton
Patterson
Barrett
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:42 am

Cmon Giles to StLouis.. The only reason I'm hesitant about BG actually playing in StLouis is our pitching situation. Morris is most likely leaving this year, and there's a couple options the Cardinal's need to pick-up (I believe, maybe wrong on this.) So we'll see, but the Redbirds also will be in a new park this year, and have more money to spend than they've ever had before.

Eckstein
Edmonds
Pujols
Giles
Rolen
Sanders?
Molina
Luna? (Don't believe Grudz is staying.)

That's a pretty ridiculous line-up right there
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:18 am

I think Nomar should go play SS in LA, where him and JD Drew can save LA .. .. "on paper" .... :-]
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:08 pm

i'd put giles #2, edmonds #4 RAmst, but yeah. that would be a scary lineup to go against....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers