BSSC Round 2 - Ralph Wiggum vs. Barney Gumble - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BSSC Round 2 - Ralph Wiggum vs. Barney Gumble

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ralph or Barney?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:44 am

Ralph Wiggum
71%
Barney Gumble
29%

Total votes : 24

BSSC Round 2 - Ralph Wiggum vs. Barney Gumble

Postby ironman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:44 am

Ralph Wiggum

Wikipedia wrote:Ralph Wiggum is a fictional character in the animated series The Simpsons. The character is voiced by Nancy Cartwright. Ralph Wiggum is the son of Police Chief Clancy Wiggum, and a classmate of Lisa Simpson at the Springfield Elementary School. Ralph is a good-hearted child, but has learning and social difficulties, which are evidenced by his tendency to utter hilarious and stupid sayings - such as "I bent my Wookiee" and "I'm going to live with my underground grandma" - throughout the course of the show. Ralph Wiggum is a caricature of a stereotype -- in this case, he is a caricature of the "'special' kid" archetype. Ralph can't understand where the world goes when the drapes are closed, indicating he has the mentality, roughly speaking, of a three-year old. He has a slight crush on Lisa, though her feelings for him are best described as platonic pity.

It's debatable whether Ralph suffers from a simple learning disability, is socially awkward or is actually borderline psychotic or sociopathic, as evidenced by his hearing voices (such as the pyromaniacal leprechaun, see quotes, below ) or his preparation of a thumbtack sandwich for his father. However, he also possesses a surprising talent for acting, astonishing Lisa and others with his performance as George Washington in a school play. He is also poached from Lisa's newspaper "The Red Dress Press" by the Chicago Tribune who give him his own column, "Ralphings."

He has an imaginary friend named "Wiggle Puppy". As Chief Wiggum remarks, "That dog has had some amazing adventures."

A typical "Ralph moment" occurs when his class is doing craft activities, and Miss Hoover tells him to "please stop eating the paste." He is regularly bewildered by the teasing he receives when he reveals his ignorance to his more clued-in classmates. His cat's name is Mittens, which is strange because he considers that word to be a "swear." Ralph also has a pine cone which he claims is his "baby brother."

When Ralph originally appeared on the Simpsons, he wasn't associated with the Wiggum family (he also had a different voice & personality). He was actually envisioned as a mini-Homer. It was later on in the series that the writers decided that he would be perfect as the son of Police Chief Wiggum.

In the game The Simpsons Hit and Run, the Wiggum family lives right down the road from the Simpsons, which explains his ease of travel to the Simpsons' house and his bed washing in front of their house when Cecil, Sideshow Bob's brother, blew up the Springfield Dam. He's also Bart's "drinking buddy" in the future, when Lisa is President.

Like several other secondary characters from The Simpsons, Ralph Wiggum has a sort of cult following. This may be attributable to his frequently bizarre non sequiturs and endearing simplicity.

The band Bloodhound Gang released a song called "Ralph Wiggum" dedicated to the Simpson character.

Barney Gumble

Wikipedia wrote:Barnard "Barney" Gumble is a fictional character on The Simpsons, voiced by Dan Castellaneta. He was born on April 20 of an indeterminate year. Barney is the Springfield town drunk, the most prominent of several alcoholic Springfieldianites. He is almost always seen in Moe's Tavern, where he is a regular. His desperation for alcohol has been the source of many jokes. He has a quavering, slightly broken voice and a distinctive loud belch (although he sings in a completely different voice, rather like Jim Nabors). He remains friendly and good-natured despite his unfortunate condition. Heavyset, slovenly, and unmarried (though occasionally seen with women), he lives in a messy, sparsely-furnished apartment while he is also seen living at Moe's Tavern. He is occasionally seen doing some sort of menial labor, such as working for his uncle—also named Barney—at Barney's Bowl-O-Rama, but has also been the owner of a successful snow ploughing business and been employed as an astronaut.

Barney is generally portrayed as being Homer Simpson's best friend, known from when they were at school, although they have the occasional fall-out during the series. Barney first appeared in the episode 7G08, "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire", in which he worked as a department store Santa and gave Homer a tip for winning at the dog track. The season 1 DVD for the series indicates that the script writers originally intended for Barney to be Homer's next-door neighbor.

As a teenager, Barney showed much potential until Homer introduced him to beer. Later on, with Homer, he was a member of The Be Sharps barbershop quartet, which introduced his splendid basso profondo voice. It was heard again in the episode with Sherry Bobbins and in "Mommie Beerest".

He has gotten involved in several altercations at Moe's with various visiting celebrities: after severely criticizing Joe Frazier, the two men stepped outside, with Frazier victorious in the fight. Barney was more successful with Wade Boggs, knocking him unconscious after an argument over who was England's greatest prime minister, with Barney arguing it was Lord Palmerston but Boggs preferring Pitt the Elder.

In the episode 9F07, "Mr. Plow", Barney was inspired by Homer's Mr. Plow business to have his own snow removal service, calling himself the Plow King and buying a snow removal truck much bigger than Homer's. He even got Linda Ronstadt to sing on his commercials. "We've been looking for a project to do together for a while," he explained. He took away all Homer's customers and earned the key to Springfield.

Barney showed his artistic side again in the episode 2F31, "A Star is Burns", in which Barney won top prize at the Springfield Film Festival for a moving documentary about his life as an alcoholic, called "Puke-a-hontas". Also in 2F31, Barney's first name was revealed as Barnard. Since Montgomery Burns caused Moe's Tavern to close down, (2F16, "Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part I"), Barney became a major suspect for shooting Burns after Burns blocked the sun (despite his easygoing nature, Barney apparently carries around a derringer at all times).

Barney served in the United States Navy for a short time, as a submariner on the USS Jebediah (3G04, "Simpson Tide") with his own mother as his superior officer.

In the episode BABF14, "Days of Wine and D'oh'ses", Barney kicked the alcoholism habit. For his birthday, Moe gave him a gift certificate for helicopter flying lessons, not expecting Barney to actually use them. "Can you imagine this boozehound at the wheel of a whirlybird?", Moe asked. Barney went to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, became sober, and took the helicopter flying lessons. He became fairly proficient at it, though he admitted he only knew to make left turns. This new skill helped Homer rescue Bart and Lisa from a forest fire. Unwilling to lose a customer, Moe figured out a way to transfer Barney's addiction to espresso, which led to the disappearance of his trademark belch. He had relapses in "The Blunder Years" and "I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can" and was back on the sauce in "My Big Fat Geek Wedding" (in a scene that was a parody of Jimmy Stewart's Harvey). Homer also encouraged Barney to have a beer when he played Ulysses S. Grant is a reenactment of the Battle of Springfield (though this, surprisingly, did not cause him to become alcoholic again). By the end of season 15 he was back to his old, alcoholic self. Early in season sixteen, though, he briefly sobered up and got back behind the controls of his helicopter to rescue an old girlfriend from a volcanic lava flow.

Something of a running joke in the series and the comics is that Barney is considered extremely desirable by the opposite sex. In the episode where Selma goes to the Springfield Sperm Bank, Barney walks out from the donation room and is greeted with familiarity by a staff member. Seconds later a mother with a baby appears on screen, Barney exclaims that the baby is a beautiful little girl, whereupon the baby removes her pacifier and emits Barney's distinctive belch. The next shot shows a line of happy mothers and babies trailing from the Sperm Bank, and a continuous chorus of Barney Belches following them.

Barney is also one of the only regulars to not appear in any of the three episodes of The Simpsons set in the future, all featuring older versions of the cast...possibly the writers' way of implying that he predeceases them.

"Barney Gumble" is a parody (and near homonym) of "Barney Rubble" of Hanna-Barbera's The Flintstones, in the same way Barney is Fred Flintstone's best friend.

Barney shares his birthday with Adolf Hitler and another character from the same show, Marge.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:44 am

bahney
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:21 pm

There's something about Ralph and the "My cat's breath smells like cat food" line that just makes me want to laugh forever.

In my head, but still, that's a lot of laughing.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby daullaz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:47 pm

I'll take the alcoholic over the dumb kid. Though Ralph does have some pretty funny lines, I don't feel he adds enough to the plot to pick him over the Plow King.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:08 pm

I eated the purple berries they tasted like burning!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:19 pm

acsguitar wrote:I eated the purple berries they tasted like burning!

;-D ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:56 pm

daullaz wrote:I'll take the alcoholic over the dumb kid. Though Ralph does have some pretty funny lines, I don't feel he adds enough to the plot to pick him over the Plow King.

I agree, Barney is so much better than Ralph. Unfortunately we're in the minority here.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Half Massed » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:16 pm

Ralph's more one liner funny and Barney's more over an episode funny. Hmm, tough choice as they're very different type characters. Eh, I'll go with Barney.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:18 pm

Half Massed wrote:Ralph's more one liner funny and Barney's more over an episode funny. Hmm, tough choice as they're very different type characters. Eh, I'll go with Barney.

Right, remember...

Barney = Secondary Character
Ralph = Tertiary Character
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:27 pm

barney
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next