Somehow I'm not really Surprised. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Somehow I'm not really Surprised.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:10 pm

You knew someone was making big $$$.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:57 pm

All this may be true, but there's still nothing we can do about it unless the federal government actually steps in. There's no way people stop buying SUVs or oil companies choose to lower their prices out of the blue or any of that.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby WharfRat » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:54 pm

Half Massed wrote:All this may be true, but there's still nothing we can do about it unless the federal government actually steps in. There's no way people stop buying SUVs or oil companies choose to lower their prices out of the blue or any of that.

Well, I don't know what they'd do. Price controls wouldn't work. I'm skeptical of tapping into the strategic reserve or the Arctic, because I don't think it fixes the problem, even if it alleviates things in a small way.

It's all about alternative fuel. I'm praying that Hybrids continue to catch on and take up a bigger portion of drivers. They're only like 1% of current ownership right now, but they can't build them fast enough. Definitely my next car, screw this gasoline crap. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JTWood » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:03 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Half Massed wrote:All this may be true, but there's still nothing we can do about it unless the federal government actually steps in. There's no way people stop buying SUVs or oil companies choose to lower their prices out of the blue or any of that.

Well, I don't know what they'd do. Price controls wouldn't work. I'm skeptical of tapping into the strategic reserve or the Arctic, because I don't think it fixes the problem, even if it alleviates things in a small way.

It's all about alternative fuel. I'm praying that Hybrids continue to catch on and take up a bigger portion of drivers. They're only like 1% of current ownership right now, but they can't build them fast enough. Definitely my next car, screw this gasoline crap. ;-D

I'm wanting the hybrid, too, but you know the repair bills on that thing will be nasty. Can you imagine who you're going to have to pay to repair the electrical system on your hybrid?

You know you're average mechanic knows nothing about electronics beyond plugging your car into a machine. Shoot, I had to pay $40 last week to find out that my check engine light was on because my gas cap wasn't screwed all of the way down. If they need a machine for that...

:-°
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby WharfRat » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:14 pm

JTWood wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

I'm wanting the hybrid, too, but you know the repair bills on that thing will be nasty. Can you imagine who you're going to have to pay to repair the electrical system on your hybrid?

You know you're average mechanic knows nothing about electronics beyond plugging your car into a machine. Shoot, I had to pay $40 last week to find out that my check engine light was on because my gas cap wasn't screwed all of the way down. If they need a machine for that...

:-°

Yeah, this is true...not to mention the premiums they charge just to buy. But as hybrids become more popular, more mechanics will have to learn, and costs should level out or decrease. By the time I need a new car in a few years, things will have changed I'm sure. But the money you save on gas should help of course.

Plus I rarely need to drive anywhere anyway, so that saves on repairs AND fuel. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:29 am

Agreed with the original post of this thread. Exxon makes record profits? Shocker! ;-7

As to prices now though, here's what I saw today:

Cheapie: $2.35
Mid Grade: $2.45
High Grade: $2.55

Still not good, but a heck of a lot better than the $3.39 I paid when the price went nuts! :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:44 am

Im looking to buy hybrid for my next vehicle too. More importantly though - do any of you have a hobby/interest/job in the alternative energy industry? Whats the latest news on this industry? What companies are making the most headway into making a reliable, cheap source of energy?

I believe its obvious that the fuel situation will not go away anytime soon, and the only relief on the horizon is alternative sources and technology. The demand for oil will only increase as third world nations continue to develope.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:54 am

I was listening to NPR the other day and I heard an interesting story about hybrid cars and their cost-effectiveness.

An economist, who is also an environmentalist, wanted to buy a hybrid car. He knew he would be paying a premium for the technology, but he wondered if buying the hybrid would be cost effective in the long run.

I don't remember the actual numbers, but he found that the premium price of the hybrid and money he saves on fuel are unbalanced... specifically, he would be paying much more for the hybrid than if he got a fuel-friendly gasoline car.

Specifically, I think he compared the hybrid civic and the gasoline civic. I he would have to drive the hybrid car for 8 years at $3.00/gallon to just break even.

He suggested waiting a few years for the price of hybrid technology to come down.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:58 am

Also, the Olduvai Theory is quite interesting. You can read about it here:

http://dieoff.org/page125.htm

It's pretty stuffy so in a nutshell, the theory states that our fuel resources are quickly declining... although production has been increasing steadily, because of population growth in industrializing nations, the oil per capita is in sharp decline.

The theory says that by the year 2025, and with population growth remaining as steady as it is, we will have exhausted our oil supply. Subsequent to that point, civilization will revert to a pre-industrial revolution economy.

Yikes! :-P
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:16 am

Coppermine wrote:I was listening to NPR the other day and I heard an interesting story about hybrid cars and their cost-effectiveness.

An economist, who is also an environmentalist, wanted to buy a hybrid car. He knew he would be paying a premium for the technology, but he wondered if buying the hybrid would be cost effective in the long run.

I don't remember the actual numbers, but he found that the premium price of the hybrid and money he saves on fuel are unbalanced... specifically, he would be paying much more for the hybrid than if he got a fuel-friendly gasoline car.

Specifically, I think he compared the hybrid civic and the gasoline civic. I he would have to drive the hybrid car for 8 years at $3.00/gallon to just break even.

He suggested waiting a few years for the price of hybrid technology to come down.

From what i've read, for normal yearly usage over a normal period of time, the higher price you pay for a hybrid would be the same as paying $9.00+ per gallon for a similar-sized regular car over the same period of time.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk