Cashman Agrees to 3-Year Deal with Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cashman Agrees to 3-Year Deal with Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cashman Agrees to 3-Year Deal with Yankees

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:15 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2204783

I don't mind it because I don't think he a did a bad job. I hope they give him more power now, and don't let the Tampa guys make all of the decisions.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:23 pm

I go back and forth with Cashman. The truth is, none of us really knows exactly how it plays out behind the scenes with NYC and Tampa, but in my mind there's enough evidence to still have faith in him, assuming Tampa will back off. I've read somewhere that more independence from Tampa was on the table, so hopefully he's got it. But that's the million dollar question right there (with the two million dollar question: if he has it, does he keep it).

But I am happy about this when it gets down to it. He was there during the uber-glory years, after all.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:32 pm

:-? I don't understand how someone who spends so much money can get praise from its own fans...the same ones who called for his head throughout the season.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:43 pm

davidmarver wrote::-? I don't understand how someone who spends so much money can get praise from its own fans...the same ones who called for his head throughout the season.

As far as I knew, George spends the money, not Cashman. :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:45 pm

Horrible...just horrible. What's next, an extension for Jaret Wright and a re-signing of Kevin Brown to a long term deal? Just how inept and incompetent does someone have to be to get fired by George these days?

This will doom us to more years of Clueless Brian signing every clown he can find for the bullpen and every overrated has been and/or loser for the starting staff. This s the same guy that wanted Milton too last season. Oh an dlest we forget about Womack.

A very black day for Yankee fans.

And I have been calling for his head since the end of 2003.

Someone want to list all the losers this idiot signed or traded for. It is so long as to be impossible to remember everyone:
Weaver
Witasik
RonDL
Hammond
Vazquez
Brown
Heredia
Hitchcock
G. White
Benitez
Stanton II
Quantril
Miceli
Proctor
Choate
Franklin
Womack
Wright
Pavano
Tino II
Tony Clark
Enrique Wilson
Osuna
Acevedo
Groom
Embree
Leiter
Lofton
Travis Lee
Homer Bush II
Prinz
Loaiza
Rey Sanchez
Darrell May
Mendoza II
Tim Redding
Dellucci
K. garcia
Nelson II
Orosco
Adrian Hernandez

And the list goes on and on....and on and on.
If it were not so pathethic, it would be laughable.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WharfRat » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:46 pm

davidmarver wrote::-? I don't understand how someone who spends so much money can get praise from its own fans...the same ones who called for his head throughout the season.

Does the quality of a GM decline in an inverse relationship to dollars spent by the owner? :-?

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kentx12 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:46 pm

That is a great deal for him. He has the best job in baseball. He is allowed to spend all the money he wants where else could he go and do that?

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:08 pm

WharfRat wrote:

Does the quality of a GM decline in an inverse relationship to dollars spent by the owner? :-?

No, but if you're insinuating that budget shouldn't be a factor in determining general manager efficiency and talent, that's ridiculous.

There should be some sort of relationship between dollars spent and team wins: whether it's a linear, exponential, or some sort of half parabola, there needs to be a relationship from which we can derive how good a manager/general manager has performed based upon how high/low above that line they are. I guarantee that if we made a chart like this, the Yankees would be far below that line; someone is to blame other than the players themselves.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:26 pm

davidmarver wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

No, but if you're insinuating that budget shouldn't be a factor in determining general manager efficiency and talent, that's ridiculous.

There should be some sort of relationship between dollars spent and team wins: whether it's a linear, exponential, or some sort of half parabola, there needs to be a relationship from which we can derive how good a manager/general manager has performed based upon how high/low above that line they are. I guarantee that if we made a chart like this, the Yankees would be far below that line; someone is to blame other than the players themselves.

I suggest you read up on how the Yankees organization is run before you made an assumption like that. TheYanks04 is the only Yankee fan on here who truly hates Cashman and I don't know why.

Yanks04, maybe it's a black day for you, but it is not for all Yankee fans. Cashman is a good general manager, he just needs to be given the power to do his job.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby WharfRat » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:30 pm

davidmarver wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

You're insinuating - or actually, explicitly stating - that high payroll means a GM doesn't deserve praise, which is equally ridiculous. Is it not possible to be a good GM and spend gobs of loot at the same time? They're not mutually exclusive.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers