Benitez rumors & Mets pen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benitez rumors & Mets pen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benitez rumors & Mets pen

Postby joe61878 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:17 am

I keep reading stories about how Armando Benitez is on the trading block to the Yankees or Red Sox. If he becomes a Yankee, he becomes useless to me fantasywise since he won't close.

My question is this: If Benitez is traded, who closes for the Mets? (I hope to God they don't hand the ball to David Weathers.)
joe61878

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby pilambp » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:58 am

I've heard rumors about John Franco closing out games. It'd bring him closer to Lee Smith's Saves record, and be a PR move for the Mets, who would be conceding the season if they haven't already.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:16 pm

Do you think it would be a sensible move at this point to try to trade off Benitez before he gets traded for someone like Percival in case he gets traded somewhere he won't be closing?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:54 pm

I think it's a case of high risk, high reward. If he goes to Boston or San Fran, two of the rumoured teams interested in him, his value would go way high. If he went to setup for Rivera, he'd hit rock bottom. If you want to be safe, trade him. If not, it's a high high or a low low.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dzcondor » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:30 pm

The Mets also have a candidate in the minors named Orber Moreno. In 12 games at AAA he has 4 saves, a 1.00 ERA, .667 whip and 21 ks in 18 innings.

He was in KC system last year, but picked up by the Mets.

BUT, its still likely to be Franco.
dzcondor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dzcondor » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:31 pm

From Rotoworld.com

Orber Moreno pitched two scoreless innings yesterday and has a 1.00 ERA in 18 innings ince joining Triple-A Norfolk. Between Norfolk and Double-A Binghamton, the former Royals prospect has given up 14 hits, walked three and struck out 28 in 23 1/3 innings. If he keeps pitching like this, he could be a real candidate for saves once the Mets move Armando Benitez. Keep an eye on him.
dzcondor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:44 pm

The Mets are also currently at a 50-50 chance to trade Roberto Alomar to the Dodgers for someone and Guillermo Mota, and Mota would be come the Mets closer.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:08 pm

Jury,
Where did you hear that? I strongly doubt the Mets would trade for Mota, especially with the bad blood between him and Piazza. I don't think they want to alienate their $12 million superstar by trading for the guy he wants to kill...

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Dr.DooM » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:14 pm

It's going to be Franco according to Howe. He wasn't 100% committal but at least we know John will get the inital save opportunities to pad his stats.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:14 pm

Guillermo Mota:
http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=1477504

It wouldn't really matter that much anyways. There's business to take care of and Mota took care of it. Roger Clemens threw at Piazza and Michael didn't do anything because Clemens can rock his face up. Piazza only charged at Mota because he is sure that he can handle Mota. It wouldn't bring bad blood.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers