Bobby Valentine wants a US/Japan championship series - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bobby Valentine wants a US/Japan championship series

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:00 pm

Amazinz wrote:I also disagree that a loss would hurt the MLB. It might hurt the pride of the American people a little bit but a loss to the Japan champion would be more publicity worldwide than the MLB could ever hope to pay for. An American loss would inspire international interest. I guarantee that.

International interest? Of course, but none of that publicity is positive publicity. I don't at all see how America losing would make other countries buy MLB stuff or help them in any way.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:36 pm

blankman wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I also disagree that a loss would hurt the MLB. It might hurt the pride of the American people a little bit but a loss to the Japan champion would be more publicity worldwide than the MLB could ever hope to pay for. An American loss would inspire international interest. I guarantee that.

International interest? Of course, but none of that publicity is positive publicity. I don't at all see how America losing would make other countries buy MLB stuff or help them in any way.

I think the cliche 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' applies here. It certainly couldn't hurt.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:13 am

Amazinz wrote:
blankman wrote:

I think the cliche 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' applies here. It certainly couldn't hurt.

I thought about that, and I don't think it does. All it does is devalue MLB as the best of the best.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:07 pm

Basketball isn't a perfect comparison because it already had international appeal but the loss at the olympics (an NBA team for the most part) didn't have any negative effect IMO. To what extent it is probably impossible to tell but the NBA's involvement in international basketball seems to have had a great effect. I think showcasing the talent around the world could only be a good thing. Sure one day we'd probably lose and that would suck but it could eventually be offset by having real talent come out of Europe (like in the NBA) and regularly out of Japan. I think that would be pretty cool and worth the risk of any injured egos (mine included).
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers