The NBA is racist... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The NBA is racist...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:50 am

Irish wrote:Please, just tell me what's wrong with that?

Because you said "They are dressing like thugs".

You have it backwards, thugs are dressing like THEM, because most thugs watch sports, listen to rap, hip hop culture.

You have got to be kidding................ right? :-o

The "sag" style of dress has been out for over a decade. Crooked hats have been out for over a decade. Hooded sweaters, untied sneakers, etc, all out and worn for over a decade.

Basketball players were not dressing like that over a decade ago.

So, the basketball players are in fact dressing like thugs with no class at all. Glad to see something being done about it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Irish » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:18 am

Madison wrote:
Irish wrote:Please, just tell me what's wrong with that?

Because you said "They are dressing like thugs".

You have it backwards, thugs are dressing like THEM, because most thugs watch sports, listen to rap, hip hop culture.

You have got to be kidding................ right? :-o

The "sag" style of dress has been out for over a decade. Crooked hats have been out for over a decade. Hooded sweaters, untied sneakers, etc, all out and worn for over a decade.

Basketball players were not dressing like that over a decade ago.

So, the basketball players are in fact dressing like thugs with no class at all. Glad to see something being done about it.

Yeah, that's a real level headed approach. In the late 80's/early nineties, when hip-hop was becoming more mainstream (Run DMC, LL Cool J, etc) basketball players style began to change. This is most notoriously shown when the FAB-5 of Michigan was known for having baggy shorts/jerseys, taking the on court style to a different area in relation to their style off the court.

This was before gangsta-rap was prominent. Hip Hop culture was influencing the way they dressed, not gang-bangers and thugs. Now, during this time, Tupac/Biggie/Snoop/Dre were also growing into their own and they were from a more ghetto up-bringing, basically the mainstream origin of gangster rap (NWA etc.) They also were extremely popular among young males, primarily african american.

But to say no one was dressing certain ways before gangsta rap??? PLEASE SPARE ME.

So, the basketball players are in fact dressing like thugs with no class at all.

What a stupid statement. You think they have no class based on their dress alone? Maybe they are wearing what they feel comfortable in, what the hell is the problem with that? If I see someone in the south wearing flannel and a John Deere hat do I presume they are racist? No, cause I"M NOT IGNORANT. I give people respect until they lose it, not the other way around.

Here's an article from Scoop Jackson, publisher of Slam for a while and now a columnist for ESPN. Not directly relating, but close enough:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... son/051101

Here are some thugs, obviously forced into helping people:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2158943
http://www.childrensaidsociety.org/pres ... cle/597992
http://guhoyas.collegesports.com/sports ... 05aaa.html
http://www.nba.com/sixers/features/iver ... 50718.html
http://www.nba.com/community/reliefefforts_050831.html
http://www.nba.com/community/goodwill2005_index.html

But they are all just thugs, cause they dress a certain way. Give me a freaking break. Get the FU$% over yourself.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:56 am

Irish wrote:Here's an article from Scoop Jackson, publisher of Slam for a while and now a columnist for ESPN. Not directly relating, but close enough:

That article is retarded. Scoop Jackson is another in a long line of individuals who would rather call someone racist than actually stop and think critically about what someone might have to say, even if that person disagrees. They did it to Cosby. It's really funny - Scoop makes the assumption that Phil is a racist, and that Phil gives a pass to DeLay, Martha, et al, because Phil is white. I'd call that racist - but Scoop isn't racist, because he's a righteous defender of black culture, even the portions that reflect violence, criminality and misogyny. Please.

If I call this guy a racist, am I ignorant for making that judgement? Because the fact he dresses like a racist doesn't mean that he is one, right? If this guy were to walk around a black neighborhood, no one would have a problem with it, right? Because to make inferences about someone based on the way they present themselves to the world is ignorant, right?

It's really naive to think people are ignorant because they don't like it when AI and 50 Cent dress the same. It doesn't matter where the style originated; it is what it is. Hiphop culture is a violent culture in some ways; why shouldn't someone react badly to it?

Anyway, I hope the NBA cleans up its act. I miss when it was just basketball, instead of a slice of thug prima donna pie. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:The NBA, just like EVERY SINGLE other industry, will never be without its share of criminals. The problem isn't that there are players who have committed crimes, the problem is that people have ridiculous expectations for their players. From the poorest of the poor to the richest of the rich, people commit crimes. Instead of saying "There are criminal players, we need to fix that" we should be saying "Don't expect your professional athletes to be anything other than athletes."

Here's an excerpt from a website that I found interesting:

Twenty-nine members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse in either criminal or civil proceedings. Twenty-seven have driving while intoxicated arrests on their driving records. Twenty-one are current defendants in various lawsuits, ranging from bad debts, disputes with business partners or other civil matters.
Nineteen members of Congress have been accused of writing bad checks, even after the scandal several years ago, which resulted in closure of the informal House bank that routinely allowed members to overdraw their accounts without penalty. Fourteen members of Congress have drug-related arrests in their background, eight were arrested for shoplifting, seven for fraud, four for theft, three for assault and one for criminal trespass.

http://www.larryelder.com/congress/congresscrooks.htm

That works out to 132 out of 535 members of congress with some kind of criminal record...nearly 25%. And they all wear suits every day.

Unbelievable. Do you truly believe this nonsense? Do you actually think nearly 25% of our members of congress have a criminal record because you added up those numbers and they totaled 25%? Did it occur to you that perhaps that was an incredibly stupid way to arrange numbers to come up with a predetermined result? OK - let me ask you this - how many members of congress have multiple listings on their criminal record which would account for multiple listings in that nonsense you posted? My guess is that at the most 20-40 congressmen make up at least 75% of the offenses listed.

As for the report that showed that the NBA has a higher criminal record rate amoung its players than the other major sports - why aer you discounting it again? Because it included situations where players were acquitted? But since he used the same criteria for all sports - why would that matter? It seems to me that you are trying to ignore factual evidence because you dont like the outcome.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:43 pm

Regardless, Congressmen are voted in my us. If anyone is to blame for them having criminal records and being in a government position, it's the public who voted them into office. There is no "NBA" of the legislative branch, if you're voted in, you're in.

Of course, if you're convicted of a felony, you can't even vote.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:04 pm

Coppermine wrote:Regardless, Congressmen are voted in my us. If anyone is to blame for them having criminal records and being in a government position, it's the public who voted them into office. There is no "NBA" of the legislative branch, if you're voted in, you're in.

Of course, if you're convicted of a felony, you can't even vote.

Fair point. If people took more than 10 seconds to decide who they were going to vote for, this might not be an issue.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:19 pm

People vote based on either the candidate being in their political party (that is a republican will ONLY vote for republican candidates and a democrat will ONLY vote for democratic candidates) or, they base their vote on a single social issue, like some people will only vote for a pro-life candidate or only vote for a "christian" candidate.

Anything else is irrelevant to many voters.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:25 pm

Coppermine wrote:People vote based on either the candidate being in their political party (that is a republican will ONLY vote for republican candidates and a democrat will ONLY vote for democratic candidates) or, they base their vote on a single social issue, like some people will only vote for a pro-life candidate or only vote for a "christian" candidate.

Anything else is irrelevant to many voters.

I agree completely and even made a poll in the old Politics Forum to prove that point. Basically, I wanted to show that many people know who they're going to vote for before the candidates are even named.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:42 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:The NBA, just like EVERY SINGLE other industry, will never be without its share of criminals. The problem isn't that there are players who have committed crimes, the problem is that people have ridiculous expectations for their players. From the poorest of the poor to the richest of the rich, people commit crimes. Instead of saying "There are criminal players, we need to fix that" we should be saying "Don't expect your professional athletes to be anything other than athletes."

Here's an excerpt from a website that I found interesting:

Twenty-nine members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse in either criminal or civil proceedings. Twenty-seven have driving while intoxicated arrests on their driving records. Twenty-one are current defendants in various lawsuits, ranging from bad debts, disputes with business partners or other civil matters.
Nineteen members of Congress have been accused of writing bad checks, even after the scandal several years ago, which resulted in closure of the informal House bank that routinely allowed members to overdraw their accounts without penalty. Fourteen members of Congress have drug-related arrests in their background, eight were arrested for shoplifting, seven for fraud, four for theft, three for assault and one for criminal trespass.

http://www.larryelder.com/congress/congresscrooks.htm

That works out to 132 out of 535 members of congress with some kind of criminal record...nearly 25%. And they all wear suits every day.

Unbelievable. Do you truly believe this nonsense? Do you actually think nearly 25% of our members of congress have a criminal record because you added up those numbers and they totaled 25%? Did it occur to you that perhaps that was an incredibly stupid way to arrange numbers to come up with a predetermined result? OK - let me ask you this - how many members of congress have multiple listings on their criminal record which would account for multiple listings in that nonsense you posted? My guess is that at the most 20-40 congressmen make up at least 75% of the offenses listed.

The point, which you completely missed, was to show that we can't use unreliable surveys and websites to back our arguments. And to answer your question: No, I don't actually think 25% of the members of congress have criminal records. I do, however, actually think that 95% of them are criminals...but I'm sure less than 10% actually have records.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Irish » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:25 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Irish wrote:Here's an article from Scoop Jackson, publisher of Slam for a while and now a columnist for ESPN. Not directly relating, but close enough:

That article is retarded. Scoop Jackson is another in a long line of individuals who would rather call someone racist than actually stop and think critically about what someone might have to say, even if that person disagrees. They did it to Cosby. It's really funny - Scoop makes the assumption that Phil is a racist, and that Phil gives a pass to DeLay, Martha, et al, because Phil is white. I'd call that racist - but Scoop isn't racist, because he's a righteous defender of black culture, even the portions that reflect violence, criminality and misogyny. Please.

If I call this guy a racist, am I ignorant for making that judgement? Because the fact he dresses like a racist doesn't mean that he is one, right? If this guy were to walk around a black neighborhood, no one would have a problem with it, right? Because to make inferences about someone based on the way they present themselves to the world is ignorant, right?

It's really naive to think people are ignorant because they don't like it when AI and 50 Cent dress the same. It doesn't matter where the style originated; it is what it is. Hiphop culture is a violent culture in some ways; why shouldn't someone react badly to it?

Anyway, I hope the NBA cleans up its act. I miss when it was just basketball, instead of a slice of thug prima donna pie. ;-D

Ok, this Police Officer/KKK member comparison is getting really friggin old.

When you are a Police Officer, you are issued a regulatory police issued uniform so people know what your job is.

When you are a KKK member, you wear that stupid crap because you believe in certain things.

They are 2 DEFINED UNIFORMS THAT DIRECTLY REFLECT BEHAVIOR.

I'm not talking about halloween, when people dress like cops or (for some unknown reason) KKK members.

But comparing an NBA player wearing baggy jeans and a sideways hat as equalling a certain behavior in the same way a KKK outfit equals a certain behavior is not only moronic, it is irresponsible and dangerous, cause you would be spreading those ideas to others, like your kids.

For the twentieth time, the diverse amount of people (violent, non-violent, white, black, asian, etc etc etc) that in some way wears hip hop clothing completely diminish any point people have when they say "that person is dressed like a thug, so they probably act like one". This isn't racism, this is retardism, cause you gotta be retarded to think a sideways hat and a pair of baggy jeans makes someone more prone to illegal acts. Especially when there are thousands of illegal acts going on by guys in suits right now.

I'd like to think this has ZERO to do with race, but that would be a little idealistic. Either way, go ahead and slap suits on people and make believe the problems are decreasing. As long as people are comfortable with the image the problem seems to lessen in their minds.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk