Top SS Prospect Honors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top SS Prospect Honors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top SS Prospect Honors

Postby Safetyman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:01 am

I saw the earlier discussion of Wood vs. Upton, but I'm curious about how people would rate those two and the other two big upandcoming shortstops (Guzman and Drew).

How would you rank the 4 SS, taking into consideration that none of the four may stay at short?

I'm thinking the following:

1. Joel Guzman. Guzman's stats this year were solid but unspectacular. But then again, he was a 20 year old in the Florida State League, where even Andy LaRoche cooled off. But I was expecting to see a real breakout this season after the numbers he put up in 2004, but just got solid hitting instead. Everyone says he's too big to play SS, but should hit well enough to be a top guy at whatever position. I don't see the stats to support that yet, but would be curious if anyone has any insight.

2. BJ Upton. If only he could field. But he continued to show that he can rake, putting up strong numbers in AAA while still a teenager. He'll be a quality hitter somewhere, at some point, but I just can't figure out how high his upside really goes.

3. Stephen Drew. Tore it up in A-ball, but stats (after a minor injury) weren't so good in AA. Was it a matter of not being ready for the better pitching, or just the injury? Now hitting well in Arizona. Wonder if he will hit like his brother, but from a middle infield position, or just show the same lazyness and lack of drive as JD.

4. Brandon Wood. Certainly had a great year in the hitter friendly CA league, and is still hitting well (even excluding the 4 hr game) in Arizona. But too many people still seem to see him just ending up as a .270 hitter with 25 HR pop. Can't decide if he really rates with the other three.

Had trouble deciding between Guzman and Upton as my #1, and between Drew and Woods as my #3. Does anyone who follows minor league ball better than me have any thoughts about how you'd rank em?
Safetyman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby carter » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:10 am

take Upton and Guzman off the list.. they likely won't play SS in the majors

1.Brandon Wood
2.Steven Drew

there.. much easier now ;-)
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Safetyman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:16 am

Thanks Carter

I'm actually interested in their (primarily hitting, since this is roto ball) potential regardless of what position they end up at - but still factoring in that they may end up at less "valuable" positions. Especially since Drew's more likely to become a 2b than a ss, and there's a chance Wood'll end up a 3b in the end as well. Call it a ranking of the "for-now shortstop prospects" I suppose.
Safetyman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigken117 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:23 am

Upton has the most offensive upside of anyone in that group. Guzman and Wood could hit more home runs, but Upton will be 30/30, and that's better in roto.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:26 pm

actually a chance that all 4 dont play SS in the majors but for my rankings of their bats i would go

upton--- overall talent is there,,, will never be a 45 homer man like arod, but will be a consistent 30-30 type with good average and should be in the middle of a super offense for many years,,, one main worry is the defensive breakdowns he goes through seemingly every other game or so.....

the next 3 are pretty much interchangeable imo until i see more of them next year as guzman disappointed and wood was a monster this past year...

guzman-- big time power prospect but something about the dodgers and prospects scares me a bit

drew--as talented as upton overall,,, but the jd brother thing is a slight worry for me until i see more of him

wood-- monster year this past year, and a good start in the fall league,,, hope he keeps it up next year but with the loaded angels farm system, i worry where he will play and if his stats will be "great" enough if they do move him off of the SS position.....

i would still be happy with any of them on my minor league squad in a keeper league, but all 4 of them are definitely worth keeping a watch on...
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:42 pm

Just thought I would throw my .02 cents in on Wood.

Scosscia was just on local radio here for an hour and Wood was discussed for an entire segment. He said Wood will be a SS for the Angels if/when he makes the team. He thinks he is the top hitting prospect on the team and said he will be on big leauge club during Spring Training next year.

They also played a clip from Jim Bowden (the did an interview with him yesterday) and Bowden believes Wood is a top 5 hitting prospect in all of MLB.

I know the Angel's have Cabrerra at SS, but the Angels plan on having Wood as a SS in the future. Orlando has 3 years left (I would say Wood is 1-2 years away) so when Wood is most likely ready Orlando will only have a year left on his contract which woudln't kill the Angel's if they let him go or trade him and pay part of his contract.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:04 am

this kid wood is blowing up like crazy. i really doubt upton plays ss in the majors. in my eyes the top ss in the minor with a real shot a playing ss in the majors is drew and wood.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Minor League & College Baseball