Beckett = Wood? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beckett = Wood?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:18 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Yoda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:True, Wood may be just a "thrower", but in a fantasy sense it works in his favor.

Beckett, while he may be improving as a "pitcher" (evidenced in his w/9, h/9 dropping in each of the past three seasons), has also seen his k/9 drop in each of the past three seasons.

I'd prefer Wood's "throwing" over Beckett's pitching over a full season.


Hmm... Aside from the Ks, I don't see any evidence why you would take Wood over Beckett. Beckett pitches in a more favorable park, his career numbers are more consistent, he is younger and has had less serious injury problems.

I might be a little biased since I had Wood on my roster for 4 years (except I avoided him like the plague in 05).

Well...I said over a full season so I was implying that if the two were both healthy for the entire season, I'd take Wood's throwing since he'll fetch 50 or so more strikeouts, the wins are about a wash, and the other two are pretty even with Beckett having a slight WHIP edge.


Yeah I tend to agree that the numbers don't really back up the thought that Beckett is a better fantasy pitcher than Kerry Wood. IMO it's an ERA advantage that Beckett would have over Wood, as they both sport fairly mediocre WHIPs. Wood's got more strikeout potential though. Beckett did dominate that post season when the Fish took the World Series, but for a whole season, Beckett hasn't done much yet.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:23 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Yoda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:True, Wood may be just a "thrower", but in a fantasy sense it works in his favor.

Beckett, while he may be improving as a "pitcher" (evidenced in his w/9, h/9 dropping in each of the past three seasons), has also seen his k/9 drop in each of the past three seasons.

I'd prefer Wood's "throwing" over Beckett's pitching over a full season.


Hmm... Aside from the Ks, I don't see any evidence why you would take Wood over Beckett. Beckett pitches in a more favorable park, his career numbers are more consistent, he is younger and has had less serious injury problems.

I might be a little biased since I had Wood on my roster for 4 years (except I avoided him like the plague in 05).

Well...I said over a full season so I was implying that if the two were both healthy for the entire season, I'd take Wood's throwing since he'll fetch 50 or so more strikeouts, the wins are about a wash, and the other two are pretty even with Beckett having a slight WHIP edge.


Wood pitching an entire season? Good luck with that especially with Dusty there.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby davidmarver » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:25 pm

Yoda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Yoda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:True, Wood may be just a "thrower", but in a fantasy sense it works in his favor.

Beckett, while he may be improving as a "pitcher" (evidenced in his w/9, h/9 dropping in each of the past three seasons), has also seen his k/9 drop in each of the past three seasons.

I'd prefer Wood's "throwing" over Beckett's pitching over a full season.


Hmm... Aside from the Ks, I don't see any evidence why you would take Wood over Beckett. Beckett pitches in a more favorable park, his career numbers are more consistent, he is younger and has had less serious injury problems.

I might be a little biased since I had Wood on my roster for 4 years (except I avoided him like the plague in 05).

Well...I said over a full season so I was implying that if the two were both healthy for the entire season, I'd take Wood's throwing since he'll fetch 50 or so more strikeouts, the wins are about a wash, and the other two are pretty even with Beckett having a slight WHIP edge.


Wood pitching an entire season? Good luck with that especially with Dusty there.

Wood is currently beating Beckett in complete seasons pitched 2-0.

I'm not saying draft Wood (I won't draft either of these two) but if I knew both were to be healthy, I'd take Wood.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:33 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Yoda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Yoda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:True, Wood may be just a "thrower", but in a fantasy sense it works in his favor.

Beckett, while he may be improving as a "pitcher" (evidenced in his w/9, h/9 dropping in each of the past three seasons), has also seen his k/9 drop in each of the past three seasons.

I'd prefer Wood's "throwing" over Beckett's pitching over a full season.


Hmm... Aside from the Ks, I don't see any evidence why you would take Wood over Beckett. Beckett pitches in a more favorable park, his career numbers are more consistent, he is younger and has had less serious injury problems.

I might be a little biased since I had Wood on my roster for 4 years (except I avoided him like the plague in 05).

Well...I said over a full season so I was implying that if the two were both healthy for the entire season, I'd take Wood's throwing since he'll fetch 50 or so more strikeouts, the wins are about a wash, and the other two are pretty even with Beckett having a slight WHIP edge.


Wood pitching an entire season? Good luck with that especially with Dusty there.

Wood is currently beating Beckett in complete seasons pitched 2-0.

I'm not saying draft Wood (I won't draft either of these two) but if I knew both were to be healthy, I'd take Wood.


I still Woodn't (sorry couldn't help myself there). Personally, I think we've seen the best of Kerry Wood. Again, this is based on a strong bias from what I've seen in Wood after having him on my keeper team for 4 years.

I'll take Bekett's control over Wood's power. Wood may put it together one of these years but Beckett proved in 05 that he is just as good if not better than Wood. In fantasy or in real life.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:50 pm

Prior = Wood not Beckett.


beckett is Blister boy, so I guess you have to talk Ismael Valdez.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:52 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Prior = Wood not Beckett.


beckett is Blister boy, so I guess you have to talk Ismael Valdez.


mmmkay? :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:27 am

I'd take Beckett. He has the potential to be as good a pitcher as anyone in the league, and he also showed in 2005 that even when he has some blister problems, he can still end up with a productive season.

It's really hard for me to see Wood putting up a full season at this point.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1004
Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:48 am

Beckett, because Wood is an idiot.

No seriously, Beckett (to me) is the more talented pitcher. Both pitchers' injury problems are a concern, but at least Beckett's isn't a serious concern. Wood is a walking rehab assignment.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:52 am

slomo007 wrote:Beckett, because Wood is an idiot.

No seriously, Beckett (to me) is the more talented pitcher. Both pitchers' injury problems are a concern, but at least Beckett's isn't a serious concern. Wood is a walking rehab assignment.

both guys are injury-prone. who gets put on the dl for blisters every years besides beckett?
Image
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Postby slomo007 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:54 am

bronxxbomber wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Beckett, because Wood is an idiot.

No seriously, Beckett (to me) is the more talented pitcher. Both pitchers' injury problems are a concern, but at least Beckett's isn't a serious concern. Wood is a walking rehab assignment.

both guys are injury-prone. who gets put on the dl for blisters every years besides beckett?


Read my post, I said that both are a concern. Wood's is arm/shoulder related, Beckett's is blister related. Sure they could both miss time, but at any minute Wood could be out for the season while Beckett could be out for a month or two at most from blisters. He's got much less risk. Plus, as I said before, Wood is an idiot. I can't stand rooting for someone like that. :-°
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Aug. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Miami
(12:40 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
NY Mets at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Houston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact