Astros Have No Black Players? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Astros Have No Black Players?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:37 am

I read an article back in April, wish I could find it now, about how few African American ballplayers there are, and how it's a huge misconception with the average fan, in that they think there are tons of African Americans in baseball, mistaking players from Cuba, the Dominican Republic, etc. as being African Americans. I could be way off here, but I think it was something like only 7-12% of MLB players on opening day were African Americans. Now, whether or not that means anything, you can read into it whatever you will. I don't think it's a discrimination issue, at least deep down I like to hope it's not.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby longshotwi » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:24 am

The Jury wrote:It's a pretty unnecessary thing to point of, if you ask me...

Agree 100%
longshotwi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby San D » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:30 am

To me, it has nothing to do with discrimination. The major factors are residence and genetics. Many African Americans grow up in urban settings where basketball or football is king, and they would rather play it then anything else. Also, genetically, they have better leg explosion (on the average) and consequently have higher numbers in the NBA and the NFL speed positions, since they excel at them over white athletes. So, in the U.S. on the youth level, black athletes are playing other sports leaving baseball as the athletic avenue for whites. :-?

The race card is absurd.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:34 am

Wozzyck wrote:
nuggets wrote:
eftda wrote:
The Jury wrote:It's a pretty unnecessary thing to point of, if you ask me...

Its huge, IMO. The number of AA baseball players have been on a decline for a while now but it really shows Joe Morgons true colors.

What that he stands up for his people that have been f'd over for the last 500 years? Naw, why would anyone do that? Your Morgan comment is equally, if not more, useless. To compare what has happend to African Americans to AA ball players is repulsive.

Indeed, I didn't find the comment about Morgan all that necessary, but I wouldn't say he's "standing up" for African-Americans. And though we all enjoy being repulsed now and then (or at least enjoy saying that we are), you might want to try abbreviating "African American" and reread eftda's post. :-/

Morgons comments will be noted through out this off season. The Astros will be watched to see if an African American will be put on the 25 man roster. :-t

IMO, best 25 players start.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:52 am

I agree, completely pointless comment. Who gives a crap (Not insulting the author of this thread, because not the thread starters fault that this comment was said. In fact, good job for brining this to the cafe's attention.)

This would be significant if it wasn't 2005. But it is, and I'm sure the Astros aren't purposely leaving African-American's off the roster. And yes, I realize that the statement says nothing about the Astros leaving African-Americans off the roster, but it implies it. If one says a company has no minorities working for them, there is no reason to make that comment than to otherwise insinuate racism.

Ridiculous observation made by a major media news outlet (I'm shocked... shocked, that there's gambling in this establishment.)
Someone trying to make a story where there isn't one.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers