Astrodome open or closed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Astrodome open or closed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:40 pm

I think they should let the Astros decide.

FoxNews.com wrote:HOUSTON — Major League Baseball (search) must decide an open-or-shut case for Game 3 of the World Series: whether the roof at Minute Maid Park will be open or closed.

With the White Sox (search) ahead 2-0 after two wins in Chicago, the teams worked out Monday at sunny Minute Maid Park, where the center-field fence is 438 feet away and up a hill, and clearing the left-field wall takes only a 315-foot poke.

While the roof was retracted for batting practice, the Astros (search) would rather have it shut tight Tuesday, when the state of Texas hosts a World Series game for the first time.

In yet another postseason series where umpires' calls have been debated, the roof was just as hot a topic.

For more on the World Series, go to FOXSports.com.

The Astros were 36-17 at home when it was closed during the regular season, 15-11 when it was rolled back and 2-0 in games that began indoors and finished in fresh air.

During the regular season, the Astros pick their environment. But during the postseason, the commissioner's office makes that call.

Jimmie Lee Solomon, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office, was to decide Tuesday, when the forecast called for clear skies with a temperature in the low 60s.

"If it's a nice day and no chance of precipitation and it's not overly hot and humid, yeah, we'll open the roof," Solomon said from his office in New York.

That didn't sit well with the Astros.

"I don't think they should step in and tell us what to do in our field, because it's our home-field advantage now," Game 3 starter Roy Oswalt said. "I think Chicago had their advantage there — cold, windy. They've been playing in it all year; we haven't. So let's bring it back home and give the advantage to us now."

Added catcher Brad Ausmus: "Frankly, it's a little ridiculous that MLB would take control of that. This isn't their game."

Houston owner Drayton McLane was a bit more diplomatic.

"It's a combination of MLB and us. It's our roof," he said. "We'll wait to see what the weather is tomorrow."

In 2001, the commissioner's office ordered the roof open at Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix. The Astros believe they have more of an advantage indoors, when fan noise rattles ears, much as it did at Minnesota's Metrodome during the Series in 1987 and 1991.

Thus far in the postseason, Chicago has pretty much romped everywhere — at home, Fenway Park and Angels Stadium. The White Sox are 9-1, threatening to join the 1999 New York Yankees as the only teams to make it through the postseason with just one loss since the third round began in 1995.

"Whoever get the most hits with two outs is the one that's going to win," Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen said.

Chicago is batting .385 (15-39) with two outs and runners in scoring position during the postseason, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, with three homers and 22 RBIs. The Astros are hitting just .224 in that situation.

But at home, the Astros have put the squeeze on opponents: They're 4-1 at Minute Maid in the postseason for the second straight season.

Only twice since May has the roof been open for games — both during the last series of the regular season.

Houston third baseman Morgan Ensberg thinks the difference is huge.

"It's a different place with the roof closed," he said. "I don't think they understand when those guys are cheering, how loud it really gets. It throws your equilibrium off. They're not going to be able to hear each other."

Coordination could prove huge in this ballpark. The wall is 19 feet high by the Crawford Boxes in left. In center, the field slopes up at a 10-degree angle on Tal's Hill, a tribute by Astros president Tal Smith to Cincinnati's old Crosley Field. There's a flagpole on it that's in play, homage to Detroit's Tiger Stadium.

"You're going to end up on your face before you hit the pole trying to get up the hill," Chicago center fielder Aaron Rowand said. "If you hit it, you hit it, so what? I've run into a lot more things."

Oswalt, 3-0 during the postseason, will try to be king of the hill, opposed by Chicago's Jon Garland.

"I'm not going to try to pitch somebody different because of a short porch or a deep porch," Garland said.

Given the way he's been hitting, Chicago's Scott Podsednik probably will hit an opposite-field drive off the left-field wall or over it. After not hitting any homers during the regular season, the Texan has two in the postseason, including the ninth-inning winner Sunday night, just the 14th game-ending homer in Series history.

"I get goose bumps just thinking about it," he said. "Running around the bases, I can't recall what I was feeling. Everything was blank. I couldn't hear anything."

As for the umpires, some critics were questioning their eyesight, especially after plate umpire Jeff Nelson ruled Jermaine Dye was hit by a pitch in Game 2, setting up Paul Konerko's seventh-inning grand slam. Replays appeared to show the pitch hit Dye's bat.

"These guys live and die based on whether their calls are correct," said Mike Port, baseball's vice president for umpiring. "They take it very hard when it appears they've been wrong. Like good players, they almost grieve over it."
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:45 pm

Let Fox decide. I'm for whatever makes for better television.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby daullaz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:48 pm

IMO the Astros players are taking the wrong attitude for this. They seem to be in a mentality of "Well, MLB wants us to lose since they won't let us play with the roof closed." They should be thinking, "Damn the roof. We're at home and we're gonna go back to Chicago with a 3-2 lead regardless of whether there's a roof over our heads." If I was the coach, that's what I'd be telling them.

Hopefully they don't walk out onto the field tonight, see an open roof, and give up right there.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:48 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Let Fox decide. I'm for whatever makes for better television.

And you think Fox is intelligent enough to make that decision!?!

;-7 :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:54 pm

Let the 'Stros decide.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:00 pm

Is anybody else surprised that a White Sox fan would want the roof open ... ;-7

also ..
Is anybody surprised that Chicago fans were yelling profanities and throwing things at the players wifes while in Comiskey?

Is anybody else surprised that some Chicago fan ran up and pulled Mrs. Biggio's hair at the game, slapped her and then ran away?

If there was ever a city that deserves a curse .. it is this disgusting place.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:08 pm

wrveres wrote:Is anybody else surprised that a White Sox fan would want the roof open ... ;-7

also ..
Is anybody surprised that Chicago fans were yelling profanities and throwing things at the players wifes while in Comiskey?

Is anybody else surprised that some Chicago fan ran up and pulled Mrs. Biggio's hair at the game, slapped her and then ran away?

Well, I'd put Philly first on the bad fans = deserves curse list, but those stories sound like a close second. I am a bit surprised, though. I didn't think fans up there were that bad. Cubs fans aren't that bad when they're in St. Louis. I'm wondering if those stories don't represent a very small minority.

Of course, davus' recent name-calling tirade didn't really help the image of ChiSox fans, did it?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:13 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
wrveres wrote:Is anybody else surprised that a White Sox fan would want the roof open ... ;-7

also ..

Well, I'd put Philly first on the bad fans = deserves curse list, but those stories sound like a close second. I am a bit surprised, though. I didn't think fans up there were that bad. I'm wondering if those stories don't represent a very small minority.

Of course, davus' recent name-calling tirade didn't really help the image of ChiSox fans, did it?

yeah Philly is a top the list ....
but I do picture davus as the typical annoying type of Chicago resident. Is there respectable citizens in Illinois sure, but based upon my visits there, and from what I read in the papers, I would bet you be hard pressed to find 10.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:19 pm

wrveres wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

also ..

Well, I'd put Philly first on the bad fans = deserves curse list, but those stories sound like a close second. I am a bit surprised, though. I didn't think fans up there were that bad. I'm wondering if those stories don't represent a very small minority.

but I do picture davus as the typical annoying type of Chicago resident. Is there respectable citizens in Illinois sure, but based upon my visits there, and from what I read in the papers, I would bet you be hard pressed to find 10.

I'm from southern Illinois. Am I one of the ten?

;-7

I think you meant to say Chicago and not Illinois as a whole. I know it's easy to forget, but 90% of Illinois isn't Chicago.

;-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:28 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
wrveres wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

also ..

I'm from southern Illinois. Am I one of the ten?

;-7

I think you meant to say Chicago and not Illinois as a whole. I know it's easy to forget, but 90% of Illinois isn't Chicago.

;-)

good point ..

I stand corrected ...

Chicago ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers