Astrodome open or closed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Astrodome open or closed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Astrodome open or closed?

Postby The Jury » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:15 pm

What's the latest on MLB's "attempt" to be involved in whether the games in Houston are played under the roof or not?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:17 pm

I don't see why MLB should be involved. Let the Astros decide to keep the roof open or closed.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:20 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't see why MLB should be involved. Let the Astros decide to keep the roof open or closed.

I agree. Apparently Bud is doing his best to allow the White Sox to break their drought.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby davus » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:38 pm

Well I'm of the opinion that if a game can be played in open air, it should. Baseball is an outdoor sport.

That being said...who really give a crap, ultimately?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:45 pm

davus wrote:Well I'm of the opinion that if a game can be played in open air, it should. Baseball is an outdoor sport.

The Astros give a crap.

But their winning percentage when the roof is open is only .577 (15-11) -- versus .684 (39-18) when it's closed (counting the postseason). (There were two other games this year in which the roof was opened during the late innings.)

The stats don't lie. There is a difference. I see this issue as being groundkeeping issues and not a Selig issue. It's no different than the grounds crews of teams letting the grass grow a little bit longer for their home team ground ball pitcher. I say let the Astros decide. Based off stats, I'd go with roof closed.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:04 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't see why MLB should be involved. Let the Astros decide to keep the roof open or closed.

I agree. Apparently Bud is doing his best to allow the White Sox to break their drought.
I don't think it makes much of a difference. I just don't like having one set of rules throughout the season and then changing them come the WS.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby davus » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:10 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
davus wrote:Well I'm of the opinion that if a game can be played in open air, it should. Baseball is an outdoor sport.

The Astros give a crap.

But their winning percentage when the roof is open is only .577 (15-11) -- versus .684 (39-18) when it's closed (counting the postseason). (There were two other games this year in which the roof was opened during the late innings.)

The stats don't lie. There is a difference. I see this issue as being groundkeeping issues and not a Selig issue. It's no different than the grounds crews of teams letting the grass grow a little bit longer for their home team ground ball pitcher. I say let the Astros decide. Based off stats, I'd go with roof closed.

I meant who gives a crap if they do it. Let them do what they want.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:13 pm

It's the Astros homefield for the next 3 games, so they should have homefield advantage. As commentators on the FAN 590 radio station were saying, the Astros have an advantage at home with the dome closed because it's so loud, that if you're not used to playing there then it can be difficult. It should be up to the Astros anyways, not up to MLB. They didn't bring in heaters to warm up Cell Field in Chicago to change the conditions, why do they feel the need/right to take away the Astros' homefield advantage?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davus » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:22 pm

The Jury wrote:It's the Astros homefield for the next 3 games, so they should have homefield advantage. As commentators on the FAN 590 radio station were saying, the Astros have an advantage at home with the dome closed because it's so loud, that if you're not used to playing there then it can be difficult. It should be up to the Astros anyways, not up to MLB. They didn't bring in heaters to warm up Cell Field in Chicago to change the conditions, why do they feel the need/right to take away the Astros' homefield advantage?

Apples and oranges comparing a natural geographical advantage to a manufactured advantage. The Sox have to deal with the bad weather too, btw.

I think manufactured advantages are BS. But again, it's not really a big deal. Let em do it if they want.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davus » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:39 pm

Actually. I just read something that completely changed my mind.

When Arizona was in the series MLB ordered the roof open for all the games played there. There is your precedent and it should be followed here as well. End of story.

By the way, if the Sox had an advantage because they are used to playing in temps they are used to...wouldn't the Stros have an advantage when playing in the temps THEY are used to as well?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers