xbox 360? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

xbox 360?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:19 am

chadlincoln wrote:How much are they saying it's gonna cost?

$100,000,000

And that's just for the "license"
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:14 am

Coppermine wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:How much are they saying it's gonna cost?

$100,000,000

And that's just for the "license"
8-o
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:39 am

PC RULES!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:41 am

ACS... you get Quake yet?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:44 pm

To me, buying a new platform as soon as its released is down right foolish. They are always released just in time for the Holidays at some gawd-awful ridiculous price and they fly off the shelves like hotcakes. Then the holidays pass and low and behold we have our first price decline. Then a few months go by and maybe yet another price decline. Then the next thing you know its nearing the holidays again and whats that? The console is nearly half the price it was a year ago? Get out of town!

I'll buy a 360 eventually but I see no reason whatsoever to buy it at whatever retarded price they start it with.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:02 pm

ironman wrote:To me, buying a new platform as soon as its released is down right foolish. They are always released just in time for the Holidays at some gawd-awful ridiculous price and they fly off the shelves like hotcakes. Then the holidays pass and low and behold we have our first price decline. Then a few months go by and maybe yet another price decline. Then the next thing you know its nearing the holidays again and whats that? The console is nearly half the price it was a year ago? Get out of town!

I'll buy a 360 eventually but I see no reason whatsoever to buy it at whatever retarded price they start it with.

reduction from actual list price would be at least 1 year after the PS3 comes out, assuming they're similarly priced. If you want to be enterprising, you may be able to flip the 360 for a profit on Ebay if you get one early at list price and some dumbass just can't wait the 2 weeks for a restock.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby zepfan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:51 pm

I made the mistake of buying xbox at launch when it came out and a year later they still only had 4-5 really good games for the system. Third party support is a big thing and microsoft doesn't have it. Save up for a PS3 unless you like waiting months at a time between games worth buying.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Coppermine » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:20 pm

What happened to the old Nintendo "razor/razorblades" economics?

Just for those who slept through macroeconomics, the razor and razorblade principle is selling the "razor" at a loss and selling the "razorblades" for a huge profit. The assumption is, if everyone runs out to buy the razor at a reduced price, they'll have to pay somewhat inflated prices for the blades.

Nintendo did that with the NES, SNES and 64... they sold the systems at a considerable loss, but made up the difference by selling games and licensing to game manufacturers.

Now, Microsoft and Sony know how to make a buck... they launch their systems just before the holiday season in limited supply... now we're on the supply side of economics. Generally, people wouldn't pay $400-$500 for a video game system, but when they're in short supply and the holidays are coming up, there's enough of an "early adopter" public out there who rushes out and drops the cash. As long as they perform limited restocking, they can continue that trend for as long as a year or more.

When the early adopters stop shelling out cash, boom, the price drops and everyone else starts jumping aboard.

Wait for it.......

Ok, now the early adopters and everyone else who actually "wants" the game systems have bought one, either at full or reduced price. Now what? Well, last time, Nintendo came along with their Game Cube and started selling it for $150 while XBox and PS2 were still priced over $200... what do we have now? Some friendly price competition, that's what. Sony and Microsoft drop the price of their game systems to $150 as well... maybe even less.

The market is saturated with game systems at this point. You can get a PS2 for less than $100 on ebay. Demand drops, and the next gen consoles are announced.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk