Sleeper Alert! Which SS had these numbers in the 2nd half? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleeper Alert! Which SS had these numbers in the 2nd half?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:29 pm

davidmarver wrote:To be fair to Khalil, he was hurt multiple times this past season, including a hand injury on his right hand. Swinging a bat with that kind of injury has to be difficult, to say the least.

In the last two months, Khalil did hit 8 homers, drove in 31 rbi, and slugged .506.

Granted, I still wouldn't draft him next season: he's not worth the risk, especially while still playing 1/2 his games in Petco.


I agree. It's an awful comparison to use Khalil since he battled injuries the entire year.

But having watched him, he seems pretty special and I wouldn't be surprised if he became the Pads best hitter as soon as 06.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby brandnew » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:26 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:I read something somewhere that compared JJ Hardy to a young Miguel Tejada. My uninformed guess would be that his prime would look something like .290 90 25 100 10 which isn't bad but probably not a superstar.


That's damn good...
Image
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3599
Joined: 8 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The 909!

Postby hybrid » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:46 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:I read something somewhere that compared JJ Hardy to a young Miguel Tejada. My uninformed guess would be that his prime would look something like .290 90 25 100 10 which isn't bad but probably not a superstar.


I also think that is a pretty bad comparison, I really wonder how anyone would come up with that. They don't have the same body type, they aren't the same type of hitters, and only one hits for power. Hardy will basically never be in a position to hit 100 rbi's, he is suited for the 2nd spot in the order almost to a "T". He is very contact orientated hitter with a little pop to go with it, more in the 15-20 hr / 65-75 rbi catagory.

BTW those 2nd half stats were for only 180+ AB's, not a very good sample size though he obviously made improvements.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:38 am

Yoda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:To be fair to Khalil, he was hurt multiple times this past season, including a hand injury on his right hand. Swinging a bat with that kind of injury has to be difficult, to say the least.

In the last two months, Khalil did hit 8 homers, drove in 31 rbi, and slugged .506.

Granted, I still wouldn't draft him next season: he's not worth the risk, especially while still playing 1/2 his games in Petco.


I agree. It's an awful comparison to use Khalil since he battled injuries the entire year.

But having watched him, he seems pretty special and I wouldn't be surprised if he became the Pads best hitter as soon as 06.


Actually, it's a good comparison. Both are very talented young players with a recent injury history. I think both of them had half seasons that reflect what they can do when they are injury free and playing their bests. The danger is assuming that this is likely to be a good guide for what they will do all the time. They won't. As young players, they are both likely to improve, but both also have shown a tendency towards injury. That should moderate your assumptions about whether they will develop along a normal curve or not.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:30 am

Would Marcus Giles be a better comparison perhaps? Both perfect 2 hole hitters, with a little bit of everything without realy excelling at anything.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1945
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:00 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Yoda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:To be fair to Khalil, he was hurt multiple times this past season, including a hand injury on his right hand. Swinging a bat with that kind of injury has to be difficult, to say the least.

In the last two months, Khalil did hit 8 homers, drove in 31 rbi, and slugged .506.

Granted, I still wouldn't draft him next season: he's not worth the risk, especially while still playing 1/2 his games in Petco.


I agree. It's an awful comparison to use Khalil since he battled injuries the entire year.

But having watched him, he seems pretty special and I wouldn't be surprised if he became the Pads best hitter as soon as 06.


Actually, it's a good comparison. Both are very talented young players with a recent injury history. I think both of them had half seasons that reflect what they can do when they are injury free and playing their bests. The danger is assuming that this is likely to be a good guide for what they will do all the time. They won't. As young players, they are both likely to improve, but both also have shown a tendency towards injury. That should moderate your assumptions about whether they will develop along a normal curve or not.


Khalil had one year with injuries. I don't see this as a trend.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby davidmarver » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:03 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Yoda wrote:
davidmarver wrote:To be fair to Khalil, he was hurt multiple times this past season, including a hand injury on his right hand. Swinging a bat with that kind of injury has to be difficult, to say the least.

In the last two months, Khalil did hit 8 homers, drove in 31 rbi, and slugged .506.

Granted, I still wouldn't draft him next season: he's not worth the risk, especially while still playing 1/2 his games in Petco.


I agree. It's an awful comparison to use Khalil since he battled injuries the entire year.

But having watched him, he seems pretty special and I wouldn't be surprised if he became the Pads best hitter as soon as 06.


Actually, it's a good comparison. Both are very talented young players with a recent injury history. I think both of them had half seasons that reflect what they can do when they are injury free and playing their bests. The danger is assuming that this is likely to be a good guide for what they will do all the time. They won't. As young players, they are both likely to improve, but both also have shown a tendency towards injury. That should moderate your assumptions about whether they will develop along a normal curve or not.

Do you even know how Khalil got injured? It was a throw down to second that took an awkward hop and hit his finger. That's not injury prone, that's unlucky.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:59 pm

You don't seem to be familiar with Greene's injury history:

Broken finger in September of 2004
Broken finger in April 2005
Broken toe August 2005

Three broken bones in 11 months? When does "unlucky" become "injury prone"?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby davidmarver » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:43 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:You don't seem to be familiar with Greene's injury history:

Broken finger in September of 2004
Broken finger in April 2005
Broken toe August 2005

Three broken bones in 11 months? When does "unlucky" become "injury prone"?

Broken bones are normally freak accidents as they are. This isn't something like a hamstring pull or ligament tear.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:55 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:You don't seem to be familiar with Greene's injury history:

Broken finger in September of 2004
Broken finger in April 2005
Broken toe August 2005

Three broken bones in 11 months? When does "unlucky" become "injury prone"?


THose were freak accidents dude. He broke his fingers from a fluky bounce. He bouned a ball off his foot. Griffey is injury prone. Kearns is injury prone. I would not consider Greene injury prone. Yet.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Coppernob, GiantsFan14 and 15 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Jul. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact