Sleeper Alert! Which SS had these numbers in the 2nd half? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleeper Alert! Which SS had these numbers in the 2nd half?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brandnew » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:39 pm

Well, the point is that Hardy's a rookie, and sucked it up the first half. However, as he got more attuned to ML pitching, he picked it up in a big way.. That may be a way to look at Hardy's second half as different from other players'.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:13 pm

brandnew wrote:Well, the point is that Hardy's a rookie, and sucked it up the first half. However, as he got more attuned to ML pitching, he picked it up in a big way.. That may be a way to look at Hardy's second half as different from other players'.

The first guy in my example was also a rookie who hit just .259 in the first half of 2004.

The second guy was also a young 24 year old who looked like he was having a breakout 2004.

Both are very similar to Hardy, in other words.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby brandnew » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:47 pm

Khalil Greene one of them?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:07 pm

brandnew wrote:Khalil Greene one of them?

Yup...and so you know what his 2005 looked like.

The other was Uribe.

I don't mean to suggest that Hardy will tank, because I think he's got all-star potential, although he's a high injuy risk. But it's really not smart strategy to evaluate players based on a half season. At most, i might make it a "final straw" on two players who are relatively equal otherwise.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby brandnew » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:20 pm

I see what you're saying, but I still like Hardy for 2006, for reasons other than his 2nd half.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:28 am

The talk around Brew cerw land was that Hardy's first half numbers where pretty similar to another Brewer SS during his rookie season. Robin Yount.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:10 pm

For those of you who said JJ Hardy you are correct. I agree with you GTWMA that you can't always judge someone on half a year. I'm just hoping that the improvement Hardy showed in the 2nd half will make him a solid backup for me next year if I can get him late in the draft.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:42 pm

To be fair to Khalil, he was hurt multiple times this past season, including a hand injury on his right hand. Swinging a bat with that kind of injury has to be difficult, to say the least.

In the last two months, Khalil did hit 8 homers, drove in 31 rbi, and slugged .506.

Granted, I still wouldn't draft him next season: he's not worth the risk, especially while still playing 1/2 his games in Petco.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Iconoclastic » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:02 pm

I read something somewhere that compared JJ Hardy to a young Miguel Tejada. My uninformed guess would be that his prime would look something like .290 90 25 100 10 which isn't bad but probably not a superstar.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:18 pm

I don't think Hardy and Tejada are very comparable. Hardy has shown less power at his age than Tejada did, although he does seem to have much more patience at the plate.

Hardy's numbers are much more comparable to a young Larkin than Tejada. Either way, he still has a way to progress to get to that level and I don't think he'll do that soon enough to have much fantasy value next season.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers