Registry Cleaner or Reformat - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Registry Cleaner or Reformat

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Registry Cleaner or Reformat

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:04 pm

Ok Mr. I don't wanna reformat is now considering this. I did a defrag and basically my disk is super fragmented.

Would running Registry Cleaner be an ok sub for reformatting. I know it won't be as good but I don't feel like uninstalling games I don't have dics for anymore
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:13 pm

You can probably get away with not reformatting as long as there isn't too much junk trashing your resources.

I'm not sure what good a registry cleaner will do though. Were you able to run the defrag, or wouldn't it let you?

The defrag won't run unless there's at least 10% (i think) free space on the drive being defragmented. Otherwise, you might just have to delete and uninstall some crap you don't use anymore.

Also, let the defrag run overnight. When it's really defragmented, it can take hours.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:51 pm

Coppermine wrote:You can probably get away with not reformatting as long as there isn't too much junk trashing your resources.

I'm not sure what good a registry cleaner will do though. Were you able to run the defrag, or wouldn't it let you?

The defrag won't run unless there's at least 10% (i think) free space on the drive being defragmented. Otherwise, you might just have to delete and uninstall some crap you don't use anymore.

Also, let the defrag run overnight. When it's really defragmented, it can take hours.
Yea I have it running right now.

However, I ran it and then ran Sandra to do some system tests and it was like "Your system is super fragmented you suck" or something...So i'm not sure...I'm just always tinkering I still get like 100 FPS in Halflife 2 so I guess I should just shutup and be happy!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:57 pm

acsguitar wrote:"Your system is super fragmented you suck"

Buzzkill! That's pretty hilarious though...

You might have to suck it up and reformat... it'll probably dramatically improve your gaming performance.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:58 pm

If your disk is fragmented really bad, chances are that your registry looks pretty messy as well (a lot of dead entries). Doesn't hurt to clean it regularly but it won't help with the fragmentation. Best thing to do is set the defragmenter to run over night. You may need to it over several nights if it's real bad and you have a large drive. The built-in defrag program for Windows is nearly useless. I would look into Perfect Disk or DiskKeeper. Both are great defraggers and also defrag locked areas like the MFT on reboot.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:59 pm

Amazins, I'm looking for a good 3rd party disk defragmenter. Would you recommend perfect disk?

I've used DiskKeeper and frankly and I don't dig it.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:40 pm

PD is my favorite. It is as good as DK at doing the actual defraging and it's the best file placement optimizer I have tried. It also handles defraging over the network as well as DK. DK is better in a business environment because of the integration with the managment console, the logging, task scheduling, etc.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk