Early, but how bout a Mock Auction? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Early, but how bout a Mock Auction?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:37 am

No one interested in helping moderate the draft? I need a second person to help with the actual draft duties. It shouldnt be hard. Its composed of locking threads after auctions are over and making sure that the rules are being followed. Having two people makes the process much more smooth. Ill save one of the two spots for someone interested in helping unless someone thats already listed would like to help.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:40 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:No one interested in helping moderate the draft? I need a second person to help with the actual draft duties. It shouldnt be hard. Its composed of locking threads after auctions are over and making sure that the rules are being followed. Having two people makes the process much more smooth. Ill save one of the two spots for someone interested in helping unless someone thats already listed would like to help.

I can help. :-)
btw - How are players going to be nominated? Using some sites $$$ values for 2005 and starting at the top seems like the easiest way.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby J35J » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:24 pm

Looks like we have enough to at least see if Arlo can hook us up with a forum. Also Pogo's idea for nominating players seems to be the easiest. And I will echo the thoughts of what someone said in the Classifieds for this thread, and that is to expect this to be a fairly long process so don't bail after a week or two.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:13 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I can help. :-)
btw - How are players going to be nominated? Using some sites $$$ values for 2005 and starting at the top seems like the easiest way.

Thanks for the help. We can use a certain web site and begin dollar nomination among tiers...If we nominate players and use dollar values from a website as the base amount, no one might go for less than expected. The last auction mock I was in, we used a websites dollar values to break players into tiers. We then established the base amount that the bidding will start at. Like anyone with $10-$15 is tier 6 or whatever meaning their bidding starts at $5. Any player $35+ is tier 1 meaning their bidding starts at $25...

this is just an example. its just a thought.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:18 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:

Thanks for the help. We can use a certain web site and begin dollar nomination among tiers...If we nominate players and use dollar values from a website as the base amount, no one might go for less than expected. The last auction mock I was in, we used a websites dollar values to break players into tiers. We then established the base amount that the bidding will start at. Like anyone with $10-$15 is tier 6 or whatever meaning their bidding starts at $5. Any player $35+ is tier 1 meaning their bidding starts at $25...

I actually disagree here, I like starting everyone from zero, since it adds to the strategy. If someone goes for less than they should, then so be it.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:20 pm

works for me....usually people start the bidding at higher prices anyway. if Pujols starts at zero, the first bid is usually aroun $40 or so, so the bidding escalates quite quickly.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:26 pm

I like starting at zero too. I was just thinking about how players become available to be bid on. My league has every owner throw out 2 players a week. For simplicity and speed I thought we could use a ranking set from 2005 and throw out the first 20. When one player is sold the next on the list is made available for bids. Takes away some of the strategy of nominating players but it should make the mock go smoother and faster.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:27 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:works for me....usually people start the bidding at higher prices anyway. if Pujols starts at zero, the first bid is usually aroun $40 or so, so the bidding escalates quite quickly.

Agreed, I just think it comes into play at the end, when someone of talent has flown under the radar, and can be snagged for a few dollars that is really worth much more. If the bidding were to start at 10, then that savvy owner wouldn't get as much of a deal.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:45 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:

I actually disagree here, I like starting everyone from zero, since it adds to the strategy. If someone goes for less than they should, then so be it.

I agree. Let's have everyone start at 0.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:24 pm

Done, everyone starts out at $0 and goes up from there. The nomination system is yet to be determined...Still have a few openings if anyone is interested. It will be a long, slow process but nonetheless interesting and entertaining
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers