Rotoworld is at it again... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rotoworld is at it again...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:50 am

TheYanks04 wrote:To say that he will be 38 I hope that that does not mean to imply this sort of ineptness is excuseable...because it isn't imo.

Kent was a top 5 2b with only Soriano clearly a cut better than him (Figgins too if you want to count him). You can argue Utley and Roberts as well, though I can't see picking Roberts at this point over Kent in any format. To forget about a former MVP and a top 5 2b is inexcuseable. To leave him off because of age and say you rather have Belliard or Polanco is even more ridiculous.

He going to forget Bonds and Sheffield, Clemens and Hoffman too?

Of course it should be noted that this guy for his 1b rankings had Morneau over Konerko and Delgado....which begs the question as to where they get these guys? Who in his right mind would want Morneau over Konerko?

I have to agree with you 100% on this one...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:13 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:

Of course it should be noted that this guy for his 1b rankings had Morneau over Konerko and Delgado....which begs the question as to where they get these guys? Who in his right mind would want Morneau over Konerko?

they make all these outlandish picks so that come the end of 2006 and one of these 20+ crazy picks pan out, they can say they predicted the breakout of player X....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dannahann » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:30 pm

Lets be fair, Gleaman states that these rankings are for looking longterm, possibly 10 yrs+. It's strictly from a dynasty type perspective, and a 38yo Kent isn't nearly as valuable in that scenario is he is for 06 or even 07.
To quote Gleaman "There is nothing better than swinging a deal for a prospect, like say Ryan Howard, and watching as he takes hold of a big-league job. Suddenly you’ve got yourself a young, power-hitting first baseman for the next decade or so, and if you’re in a salaried keeper league you’ve probably got him locked up cheaply too. It sure beats trying to out-bid everyone for Mike Sweeney and Richie Sexson every year.

All of which is why it is crucial to constantly be assessing the long-term value of every player in baseball. I’ll be doing that every Friday, one position at a time, starting this week with catchers."
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 65)

Postby nuggets » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:14 am

dannahann wrote:Lets be fair, Gleaman states that these rankings are for looking longterm, possibly 10 yrs+. It's strictly from a dynasty type perspective,...

From what I gather he is trying to appeal to all keeper stlye league, most of which I believe would average only four or five years. I guess part of his slant is ambiguity. It's not set up very well though.

As far as Howard is concerned, I don't believe, at this point, that he will produce any differently than a Pat Burrell type. Not my idea of an awesome keeper pick for the next 10+ years.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:55 am

Why even produce ratings according to what those in keeper leagues need? Doesn't the majority of the public play a yearly version?

And wow, glad to have a guy on my team who might not produce for oh 3 YEARS. That's really helpful keeper league advice, draft a guy who won't help you this year or next year. Thanks. Not having Kent in the top 10 is just ridiculous, I'll gladly take him over a younger potential guy. Potential is available every year, proven production is rare.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby EricF » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:39 pm

Check out his latest column, where he ranks shortstops. He explains why Kent was left off the list. He says Kent should rank higher than Weeks for 2006, and maybe 2007, but these rankings are for keeper leagues, and Weeks will be peforming better than Kent five years from now.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bronxxbomber » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:45 pm

EricF wrote:Check out his latest column, where he ranks shortstops. He explains why Kent was left off the list. He says Kent should rank higher than Weeks for 2006, and maybe 2007, but these rankings are for keeper leagues, and Weeks will be peforming better than Kent five years from now.

you beat me to posting this, but now we can all calm down about this because he's absolutely thinking long term with these picks.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:40 pm

Yeah right. He says Kent is not worth more than Ronnie Beliiard and EVERYONE in tthat article. So by that I assume he will keep Bonds, Sheffield, Hoffman and Clemens off his lists. Come on. He is trying to make up for the criticism he has taken over his article. This guy also likes Morneau over Konerko longterm. Yeah right. Who does keeper drafts with 10 years in mind? The idea is perposterous. Most keeper leagues are 3-5 year entites and if you really want Ronnie Belliard over Kent then you have issues. Spin and BS are not going to change that.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby zepfan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:46 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:This guy also likes Morneau over Konerko longterm. Yeah right.

Not defending the article but a lot of people would take Morneau over Konerko longterm.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers