Return to General Talk

Olsen this...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Olsen this...

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:39 pm

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:48 pm

Their parents should get clubbed in the head a few times.

... or maybe they already have. :-?
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:54 pm

Man, they should just give up. :-°
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby irishdude103 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:17 pm

:-? :-/ that is just straight up wrong.
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Half Massed » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:46 pm

Sigh... See what happens when crazy people have kids? Brainwashed all the way. This reminds me of this report I saw on Southern Baptist Evangelical Christians. No offense to anyone here, but they interviewed this one 8 year old girl who said that anyone who has not accepted Jesus will go straight to hell no exceptions. It's closed-minded beliefs like these that always seem to get taught to the children. It saddens me to see things like this.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:26 pm

Half Massed wrote:Sigh... See what happens when crazy people have kids? Brainwashed all the way. This reminds me of this report I saw on Southern Baptist Evangelical Christians. No offense to anyone here, but they interviewed this one 8 year old girl who said that anyone who has not accepted Jesus will go straight to hell no exceptions. It's closed-minded beliefs like these that always seem to get taught to the children. It saddens me to see things like this.

I totally agree with you mass. It's the same thing in both cases...

I don't think children should be allowed to be homeschooled. Just my opinion, but that's only because people shouldn't only be taught their parents' opinions.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:55 pm

Mass, I think it's wrong of you to compare this to Christianity. It's one thing to think someone will go to hell, and it's another to want to send them there (to kill them). I believe the standard Christian creed that you have to accept Jesus to go to Heaven and blah blah blah, but I'm not going to kill anyone who doesn't. After all, murder is a sin. You don't hear that coming out of those girls' mouths, do you? That's just one difference, so please refrain from the comparison.

Anyways, does this count toward the fantasy skank competition since they look like the Olsen twins?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:16 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Half Massed wrote:Sigh... See what happens when crazy people have kids? Brainwashed all the way. This reminds me of this report I saw on Southern Baptist Evangelical Christians. No offense to anyone here, but they interviewed this one 8 year old girl who said that anyone who has not accepted Jesus will go straight to hell no exceptions. It's closed-minded beliefs like these that always seem to get taught to the children. It saddens me to see things like this.

I don't think children should be allowed to be homeschooled. Just my opinion, but that's only because people shouldn't only be taught their parents' opinions.

As opposed to the opinions of their complete stranger teachers? The content of the info is required state-by-state to meet the standards whether they're taught at home or at school; but the only difference is who the opinions are coming from.

Now, as a teacher, I'm not a fan of homeschooling myself, as I think it leads to children, when they become teenagers, not being as well adjusted or socially capable as their purlic/privately schooled peers, among other things. But, the opinions of parents are going to be there whether or not they are homeschooled. And as a parent, would you really want your child being influenced by somebody who may have very differing views than yourself, if you were one of these extremist parents?

Again, this is not my belief. But often it's wise to put the shoe on the other foot, and imagine what it's like to be those in which we frown upon. It doesn't mean what they are doing is right, but it makes it ever so slightly easier to understand possibly where they're coming from, whether we agree with them or not.

As for these kids, they're crazy. When I stumbled across the article I swore it was a joke when I first read through it, and I showed one of the guys I live with and he said he saw something on the TV news a day or two ago about it and that it was legit. Unbelievable, how different the people across this nation are, eh?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby LooseCannon » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:51 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

As opposed to the opinions of their complete stranger teachers? The content of the info is required state-by-state to meet the standards whether they're taught at home or at school; but the only difference is who the opinions are coming from.

Now, as a teacher, I'm not a fan of homeschooling myself, as I think it leads to children, when they become teenagers, not being as well adjusted or socially capable as their purlic/privately schooled peers, among other things. But, the opinions of parents are going to be there whether or not they are homeschooled. And as a parent, would you really want your child being influenced by somebody who may have very differing views than yourself, if you were one of these extremist parents?

Again, this is not my belief. But often it's wise to put the shoe on the other foot, and imagine what it's like to be those in which we frown upon. It doesn't mean what they are doing is right, but it makes it ever so slightly easier to understand possibly where they're coming from, whether we agree with them or not.

As for these kids, they're crazy. When I stumbled across the article I swore it was a joke when I first read through it, and I showed one of the guys I live with and he said he saw something on the TV news a day or two ago about it and that it was legit. Unbelievable, how different the people across this nation are, eh?

H0rt is a teacher so watch out Cu. And about those twins... :-P talk about crazy..
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:37 pm

I only think it comes down to professionalism.

Teachers are college-educated and well-trained for what they do. I'm a firm believer that teachers everywhere are underpaid and underappreciated. I had great teachers in my public school system and I was never given any kind of extreme bias of opinion. There's a structure to public schools that, for the most part at least, prevents kids from being taught what could potentially be narrow minded and even hateful thoughts and allows them to draw their own conclusions.

Yes, homeschooling does deny children the social adjustment they need to develop into contributing members of society. Although I think that some parents who homeschool their kids are well-qualified to do so and teach their kids good morals, I think in many cases children are homeschooled for the sole reason that their parents' opinions won't be challenged by anyone elses... no matter how "damaging" those opinions may be.

It's just my opinion though, so I could be dead wrong and of course parents have every right to homeschool their children if they choose. I just think it's sometimes unfortunate, as is the case with the twins in the article.

As for the comparison to Christianity, I agree that it's an unfair comparison since the twins' thoughts are based on hate. But I think that some, and a minority I should mention, Christians have a very narrow-minded view of the world and general unacceptance of anyone whose beliefs are not consistent with their own.

And, we don't have to look very far in history to see how Christianity has caused the death and suffering of many. I'm not talking about how anyone practices and I'm not harking on christians as I am a christian myself. But if you look back at the Crusades, the inquisition, witch trials, etc... regardless of Christian creed being that of acceptance and thou-shalt-not-kill, many people have been killed in the name of the Lord.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk