Hit and Run - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hit and Run

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hit and Run

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:28 am

Does anyone know where I can find 2005 hit and run stats such as attempts, success rate?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hooligan1 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:06 pm

I've Googled it every which way I can think of and I'm coming up with bupkis. It doesn't seem that the words "hit", "and" and "run" are used as a term very often, except I suppose in baseball. I'm not sure there is such a list, but it sounds so interesting I'm going to keep on searching. Maybe someone could email Rob Neyer; he'd be the guy.
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:15 pm

From what I can remember the Elias Sport Bureau keeps those kind of statistics. Maybe poke around ESPN and see what you can find. HOOTIE and Tavish are the best guys to ask on this one.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: Hit and Run

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:22 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Does anyone know where I can find 2005 hit and run stats such as attempts, success rate?

It's pretty early to find much on 05.

TSN The Scouting Notebook lists mgrs hit & run success % for 04.
AL avg was 36.8%
NL avg was 38.0%

Last year Guillen was at 34.2%
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby hooligan1 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:12 pm

What even determines success rate? To me it would seem to be a stat that would go to the hitter rather than the runner already on base. I would think that for it to be considered successful, the runner would have to advance at least one base. In my mind, the term "hit and run" means the runner going from first to third on a single, but is it still a hit and run play if the runner only advances to second? And what if the batter is thown out at first but the runner is safe at second, third or even home? What if the batter and runner are attempting a hit and run, but instead the batter blasts out a homer instead? And can you attempt hit and run with more than one base runner? In addition what's the difference between this play and a run and hit?
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:35 pm

hooligan1 wrote:What even determines success rate? To me it would seem to be a stat that would go to the hitter rather than the runner already on base. I would think that for it to be considered successful, the runner would have to advance at least one base. In my mind, the term "hit and run" means the runner going from first to third on a single, but is it still a hit and run play if the runner only advances to second? And what if the batter is thown out at first but the runner is safe at second, third or even home? What if the batter and runner are attempting a hit and run, but instead the batter blasts out a homer instead? And can you attempt hit and run with more than one base runner? In addition what's the difference between this play and a run and hit?

Hit % Run success % is the % of hit-and-runs resulting in baserunner advancement with no double play.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Half Massed » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:31 am

I'm not completely sure about the difference between a hit and run and a run and hit, but my impression of them is that a hit and run is more or less running on contact, while a run and hit is a SB attempt with the batter swinging no matter where the pitch is to try to connect. Don't quote me about that or anything as I'm not really sure.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby baseball6791 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:48 am

Half Massed wrote:I'm not completely sure about the difference between a hit and run and a run and hit, but my impression of them is that a hit and run is more or less running on contact, while a run and hit is a SB attempt with the batter swinging no matter where the pitch is to try to connect. Don't quote me about that or anything as I'm not really sure.

On a hit an run, the runner will take off once he sees that the pitcher has clearly commited to the plate, since the intention is not to steal the bag but just to get a "head start", as opposed to a straight steal, where the runner goes on the first movement of the pitcher (unless its a pick). In a hit and run it is the batters job to make contact and preferably put the ball on the ground.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers