2006 Payroll? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

2006 Payroll?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2006 Payroll?

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:51 am

ok, we have heard that the new stadium will generate higher revenue and thus result in higher payroll. anybody believe that? will the cards spend more money in 2006 and any wild guess on who it will be? young outfielder seems to be on the wishlist but out of the free agents i havent really seen any likely targets. also need to resign grudz or otherwise find a 2b, likely need a replacement for morris, and need someone to take al reyes spot.

free agent list

http://www.mlb4u.com/freeagent.html
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:11 am

I'm not going to fall into that trap this winter. Last year I was completely wrong on pretty much everything I said with regards to FA and who they should sign. :*) If it was up to me they'd have a MI of Cabrera and Cora and a rotation headed by Carpenter and Morris. :*) A young corner OF would be nice, but there isn't much out there on the FA market right now, and I'm not sure what they have to trade that would bring in a big bat that's ML ready besides Wainwright and Reyes. :-? Moving a package of something like Wainwright and Marquis for a OF and a prospect or two makes a lot of sense to me, but that would probably mean having to resign Morris and sliding Reyes into the fifth spot in the rotation. While that wouldn't be an all toghether bad thing, that would mean that Reyes has to pan out or they'd be stuck with some AAA 5th starter or go back to a four man rotation. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:25 am

well it looks like ray king can now be used as trade bait.

King, who spiced Wednesday's postgame media scrum with a trade request, repeated his frustration Thursday by suggesting La Russa had used the death of King's father as a pretext for not pitching him in the postseason.

"If he didn't want to pitch me, then he should've told me to stay home. Just be straight about it," said King, who said he was irked by La Russa's decision to have him warm for the ninth inning Wednesday and then giving the assignment to closer Jason Isringhausen. "If they didn't think I was pitching well enough, then tell me. But that didn't keep them from using Morris. If they don't think I can pitch in the postseason, put me on the block. Somebody will pick me up."

La Russa was not amused.

"If that's the way he feels, Ray should have his agent contact the other 29 teams," the manager said. "We'll do what we can to satisfy him."
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:30 am

Given his performance this year what would he really command? :-? I guess he could be an add-on in another deal, but he's not going to bring in anything that can help this team in '06 I don't think. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:33 am

I don't expect the spending to go up immediately, especially with the FA available.

I expect Anthony Reyes to be the number 5 starter no matter what. Suppan's option should be picked up. If Morris re-signs then Marquis will most likely be dealt for an OF bat. I really don't expect Morris back. It would be great if he came back but I don't see the Cards matching the $$$ he will get as a FA.

Grudz is the most interesting to me cause his price will go way up from the $1 million dollar deal he got this year and mostly likley he is going to want a couple of years. I see the Cards playing the 2B roulette again.

Sanders I expect back. Maybe another 2 year deal. If not a Taguchi/J-Rod platoon is OK but not good. Cards are expected to make a run at B. Giles to replace Walker in RF. I just hope it isn't more than 3 years. He'd be a great player to have but he turns 35 in January and the rest of the OF isn't getting an younger. The backup plan if they don't get Giles is probably J. Jones or Encarnacion. Other than that there isn't a lot out there.

The bullpen could be hurting next year with Taverez and Eldred FA and Reyes out. I think Wainright gets a chance at the pen next year to get some big league innings, make a spot start and make a nice insurance policy against injury or Reyes not sticking. There are actually lots of quality bullpen arms available and Walt has done a great job in the past of putting together good, cheap pens.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:47 pm

I was under the impression that the Cards plan with Eckstein was to put him at SS this year then move him to 2B next year if they can grab a better-fielding SS.

Still, it's hard to argue against bringing back the other half of the "Greatest DP Combo in the History of the Cardinals," isn't it?

:-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:56 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I was under the impression that the Cards plan with Eckstein was to put him at SS this year then move him to 2B next year if they can grab a better-fielding SS.
It is always an option but the FA SS outside of Furcal aren't very impressive.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:01 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I was under the impression that the Cards plan with Eckstein was to put him at SS this year then move him to 2B next year if they can grab a better-fielding SS.
It is always an option but the FA SS outside of Furcal aren't very impressive.

Yeah, and at the time I heard that, the team was still holding out hope that Luna might become a better SS option from an offensive standpoint. Right now, he could probably play the position well enough, but I think he would be a liability to the batting order.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:01 am

according to bernie, the payroll will remain about the same....roughly 90 million. i am not surprised, just a little disappointed. i thought the point of leaving KMOX and getting a new stadium was to increase team revenue and put a better product on the field. of course i expected the owners to take their cut, but despite the increased revenue they said they are unwilling to spend more on the team. :-t

http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=307107
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:07 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:according to bernie, the payroll will remain about the same....roughly 90 million.
Given this year's crop of free agents I don't really have a problem with it. 2006 is a totally different thing though.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals