Well I had better pay then... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Well I had better pay then...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Well I had better pay then...

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:55 pm

Just got an email in my inbox, have a read:

---

SECOND NOTICE

Dear Valued Member,

We were unable to process your last two billing transactions and your account is now past due. To ensure that your service is not interrupted, please update your billing information today by clicking here. Or call AOL Member Services toll-free at 1-877-773-4462. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have recently updated your billing information, please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Sincerely,

AOL Member Services Team

P.S. AOL has several pricing options to meet your needs. Please call AOL Member Services to ensure that you are on the optimal pricing plan and to update your payment information today!

Interesting....seeing as though:

a) I didn't receive a 1st notice

b) I have never joined AOL in my life.

:-b

By the way, where it says "clicking here" - this is the address it takes you to:

http://www.aol-users-register.com/update/

Nice try though....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HiddenIdentity » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
Just updated all my information so I wouldn't have to bother with it later on when I got the e-mail notice. ;-D
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:01 am

HiddenIdentity wrote:Thanks for the heads up.
Just updated all my information so I wouldn't have to bother with it later on when I got the e-mail notice. ;-D

I hope you didn't click on the link above and enter your details.... :-o
I put it on here because it is obviously someone trying to scam credit card details out of people....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:30 am

Got something similar in my Yahoo box last week. Dang scammers. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Half Massed » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:32 am

I got something similar from a "bank" I've never heard of before. Said there had been an overload of failed login attempts and they were temporarily disabling my account until I went there and did some random stuff. :*)
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:35 am

Ahh fishing good stuff.

BTW I'm doing a survey for the national homeless childrens fund... we need to see how many people support homeless children...

all we need is your credit card # social security # and a copy of your fingerprint.

thanks!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:53 am

I have actually had emails from ebay saying that they need to verify my details otherwise my account will be terminated. It looked legit but I contacted the support center and they said that they do not send out emails like that, and got me to forward the email to them so that they can do something about it.

Heads up on ebay emails too.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:08 am

RynMan wrote:I have actually had emails from ebay saying that they need to verify my details otherwise my account will be terminated. It looked legit but I contacted the support center and they said that they do not send out emails like that, and got me to forward the email to them so that they can do something about it.

I get emails from Paypal once in a while asking me to update my info...I never do because I'm a lazy bastard....I'm wondering if this is legit.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Half Massed » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:17 am

Phatferd wrote:
RynMan wrote:I have actually had emails from ebay saying that they need to verify my details otherwise my account will be terminated. It looked legit but I contacted the support center and they said that they do not send out emails like that, and got me to forward the email to them so that they can do something about it.

I get emails from Paypal once in a while asking me to update my info...I never do because I'm a lazy bastard....I'm wondering if this is legit.

Well, your excuse for not doing it is good, so I'm sure if it is legit they'll understand. :-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pacman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:24 am

Most people get bogus PayPal, eBay, AOL and many other banks' email notices claiming you need to update information, or that someone is illegally using your account, and that it will be terminated.

99% of these are scams. Usually you can tell because your NAME (the real name you gave when you signed up to PayPal, etc.) is NOT in the greeting. It says "Dear valued eBay member" instead of Dear John Smith.

Rule of thumb: If it doesn't have your real name in the greeting, it's a scam.

Be careful.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to General Talk