Your World Series umpiring crew (gag) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your World Series umpiring crew (gag)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:09 am

A player is a paid professional. He's paid NOT to make mistakes also. Guess what? They make mistakes every game...each player does. Look, the pitcher threw a pitch right down the middle and I took it, strike one. Mistake. Look now, that breaking ball was in the dirt and I swung at air. Mistake.

You could make the same argument about the coaches and manager. They make the wrong call sometimes too and effect the outcome of the game.

Right. And if a player on my team made a whole bunch of mistakes, I would say he should be replaced. Same with a manager or coach. And thus, when an umpire screws up, I think he should be replaced too.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:38 am

Apollo wrote:
A player is a paid professional. He's paid NOT to make mistakes also. Guess what? They make mistakes every game...each player does. Look, the pitcher threw a pitch right down the middle and I took it, strike one. Mistake. Look now, that breaking ball was in the dirt and I swung at air. Mistake.

You could make the same argument about the coaches and manager. They make the wrong call sometimes too and effect the outcome of the game.

Right. And if a player on my team made a whole bunch of mistakes, I would say he should be replaced. Same with a manager or coach. And thus, when an umpire screws up, I think he should be replaced too.

The average batter makes probably 5-10 mistakes a night on average.

Define "whole bunch".
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Comrade Antelope » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:06 pm

[Umps are part of the game, and play just as big of a part as the players. That is how baseball has always worked. You could take your same argument and apply it to the players as well...

Thats the problem sparky, umps are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE PART OF THE GAME!!! If umps are doing their job right, you shouldnt even notice them.
And you continue to blow this critisism off as sour grapes--its not. I couldnt give a damn who wins, but I want good quality officiating that allows the most deserving team to win. Im not saying the ChiSox dont deserve it, Im saying its pretty friggin' hard to tell through all of the gifts they've received in every series they've played so far.

... comparing players and managers to umps is just downright silly and doesnt warrent a reply
"...I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue..."
Comrade Antelope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers