Your World Series umpiring crew (gag) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your World Series umpiring crew (gag)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:48 pm

davus wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think it is funny that some of you guys are saying that the Stros were robbed.
Funny I must have missed that post. Can you point it out to me? ;-7

All that everyone was saying is that it is disappointing that the umpiring has been this bad throughout the entire post-season.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:13 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
davus wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think it is funny that some of you guys are saying that the Stros were robbed.
Funny I must have missed that post. Can you point it out to me? ;-7

All that everyone was saying is that it is disappointing that the umpiring has been this bad throughout the entire post-season.

Yeah Pogo. Why don't you go look at the other 41 posts on the same exact topic?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:15 pm

davus wrote:The only thing the Stros were robbed of is a 1 in a 100 chance to luck out of a horrible pitch being called a ball.

Actually, the Astros did get the "1 in 100 chance," and the ball did hit is bat. What the Astros were robbed of was one more pitch to Dye with two on and two out as opposed to one more pitch to Konerko with three out. There's a big difference between those two situations when it's a two-run game.

Still, I don't think you can say that the umps handed the Sox the game. Lidge gave up that final HR fair and square.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby davus » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:31 pm

JTWood wrote:
davus wrote:The only thing the Stros were robbed of is a 1 in a 100 chance to luck out of a horrible pitch being called a ball.

Actually, the Astros did get the "1 in 100 chance," and the ball did hit is bat. What the Astros were robbed of was one more pitch to Dye with two on and two out as opposed to one more pitch to Konerko with three out. There's a big difference between those two situations when it's a two-run game.

Still, I don't think you can say that the umps handed the Sox the game. Lidge gave up that final HR fair and square.

That's what I said. They were robbed of getting an extremely lucky break.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby willieroe » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:25 am

Having started this topic with a (gag), I have to admit that Joe West called a good game behind home plate in game 1 (with the exception of Bagwell being awarded first base twice without making an attempt to get out the way of the pitch). :-D

Nelson was fairly erratic at balls and strikes in game 2 - several of the Astros, in particular, stood and shook their heads at called 3rd strikes. Frankly, Garner should have argued more about the Dye incident - he should have had a great view of it from the visitor's dugout.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surfs up » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:05 am

Umpires make mistakes. They don't have the luxury of looking at several instant replays over and over like we do. They make those calls in a split second and most of the time they get them right. How do you think they feel when that night on Sports Center they see the plays they made in question? But they go out the next day and try their best. I guess you have never made any mistakes in your job. I know I have. It dosen't matter how much money you make. We are all only human. As for asking for help. He was right on top of the foul tip call. Think anybody from around the infield could reverse that call? I doubt it. And instant replay isn't always the answer. How many watched the football game last night? The backup quarterback for the Jets looked to fumble the ball. Falcons recovered. The replay was shown from several angles and Maddon kept saying it was a fumble. Nope. They said his arm was going foward. Ever umpire a game? Try it. Its easy to sit on your couch and complain until you've done it.I'm a baseball fan but I also have realized over the years that mistakes happen. They aren't robots. No different then somebody dropping a ball that leads to an extra out and cost the game. A mistake is a mistake.Think he meant to miss the call? Or the player meant to drop the ball? Sit back and enjoy the game. There are worse things in life. bet people in New Orleans would like be sitting in their living room watching the WS. Or anything for that matter.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby davus » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:40 am

Surfs up wrote:Umpires make mistakes. They don't have the luxury of looking at several instant replays over and over like we do. They make those calls in a split second and most of the time they get them right. How do you think they feel when that night on Sports Center they see the plays they made in question? But they go out the next day and try their best. I guess you have never made any mistakes in your job. I know I have. It dosen't matter how much money you make. We are all only human. As for asking for help. He was right on top of the foul tip call. Think anybody from around the infield could reverse that call? I doubt it. And instant replay isn't always the answer. How many watched the football game last night? The backup quarterback for the Jets looked to fumble the ball. Falcons recovered. The replay was shown from several angles and Maddon kept saying it was a fumble. Nope. They said his arm was going foward. Ever umpire a game? Try it. Its easy to sit on your couch and complain until you've done it.I'm a baseball fan but I also have realized over the years that mistakes happen. They aren't robots. No different then somebody dropping a ball that leads to an extra out and cost the game. A mistake is a mistake.Think he meant to miss the call? Or the player meant to drop the ball? Sit back and enjoy the game. There are worse things in life. bet people in New Orleans would like be sitting in their living room watching the WS. Or anything for that matter.

I agree, this all seems like sour grapes and pettiness...

Amen. ;-D
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Comrade Antelope » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:07 pm

Surfs up wrote:Umpires make mistakes. They don't have the luxury of looking at several instant replays over and over like we do. They make those calls in a split second and most of the time they get them right. How do you think they feel when that night on Sports Center they see the plays they made in question? But they go out the next day and try their best. I guess you have never made any mistakes in your job. I know I have. It dosen't matter how much money you make. We are all only human. As for asking for help. He was right on top of the foul tip call. Think anybody from around the infield could reverse that call? I doubt it. And instant replay isn't always the answer. How many watched the football game last night? The backup quarterback for the Jets looked to fumble the ball. Falcons recovered. The replay was shown from several angles and Maddon kept saying it was a fumble. Nope. They said his arm was going foward. Ever umpire a game? Try it. Its easy to sit on your couch and complain until you've done it.I'm a baseball fan but I also have realized over the years that mistakes happen. They aren't robots. No different then somebody dropping a ball that leads to an extra out and cost the game. A mistake is a mistake.Think he meant to miss the call? Or the player meant to drop the ball? Sit back and enjoy the game. There are worse things in life. bet people in New Orleans would like be sitting in their living room watching the WS. Or anything for that matter.

They are professionals. Thay are paid NOT to make mistakes. If they continue to make the wrong calls, especially important post season calls, they shouldnt have a job in umpiring. Simply put, no one deserves a job they suck at, and no one deserves pitty because they suck at their job. As far as the Dye "hit by pitch" call goes, this thread may not have been so long, and folks may not be so bitter about the Sox if they were not also given the LCS with several blatently horrible calls. Thats not sour grapes davus, I dont root for the Angels or the Astros. I just hate to see games decided by the umps and not the players.
"...I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue..."
Comrade Antelope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby davus » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:34 pm

Comrade Antelope wrote:

They are professionals. Thay are paid NOT to make mistakes. If they continue to make the wrong calls, especially important post season calls, they shouldnt have a job in umpiring. Simply put, no one deserves a job they suck at, and no one deserves pitty because they suck at their job. As far as the Dye "hit by pitch" call goes, this thread may not have been so long, and folks may not be so bitter about the Sox if they were not also given the LCS with several blatently horrible calls. Thats not sour grapes davus, I dont root for the Angels or the Astros. I just hate to see games decided by the umps and not the players.

Umps are part of the game, and play just as big of a part as the players. That is how baseball has always worked. You could take your same argument and apply it to the players as well.

A player is a paid professional. He's paid NOT to make mistakes also. Guess what? They make mistakes every game...each player does. Look, the pitcher threw a pitch right down the middle and I took it, strike one. Mistake. Look now, that breaking ball was in the dirt and I swung at air. Mistake.

You could make the same argument about the coaches and manager. They make the wrong call sometimes too and effect the outcome of the game.

Yeah, the players job is measurably harder, they have to evaluate and act within a split second.

The fact is that umps are human beings and will make errors just like the players or managers and they have always been a part of the game and always will. To say that they should not make a mistake or think that they could possibly be perfect is idiotic.

There are a lot of factors besides players playing that goes into a baseball game. Managers, coaches, the field, equipment, weather, etc. ad nauseum. You same people whining about a bad call are often the ones saying that the Astros should be able to manipulate the enviroment in their stadium to do what??? EFFECT THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME!!

This is ridiculous...and yes it is nothing more than whining and sour grapes.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:18 pm

prodpaul wrote:Bring back Don Denkinger...Royals fans love him ;-D

Sorry, Royals fans don't have a team to cheer once the playoffs start :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers