Enough small ball talk? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Enough small ball talk?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nuggets » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:03 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
nuggets wrote:Some of you need to gain perspective on just how much time you spend in front of a screen and on fantasy baseball and what that does to the way you converse about it. I’m sure many of you are great guys to go to a game with, but here most of you come off as pretentious a-holes. This place would have a lot more active membership if it weren’t this way. But then again, many of you might not want you little club disturbed.

Does anyone else think it is a little funny that this post came from someone who has over 1700 posts in the last 6 months? :-b

Touché , Mr. Pogo.

I have looked at you with a scorning eye, you with your steadfast Cardinal allegiance and I with blue Cubbie-bear blood running through my veins. But you, you are one for the fairest and I dare not soil your name in such a manner. I actually gave thought to making a special comment that you do not apply to my generalizations but then I would have to spend time spelling GTWMA, Tavish, kentx, thehat (where is he? NFL time taking him away or what?) and others and I just haven't had the time for it. Yes during the season I made a conscious effort to get over 1000 posts with the aide of newfound high-speed internet access, but just so somebody would acknowledge me (and because I've been around longer than most people know). No doubt my comments come from self experience, but some seem to live off of their quasi uber-ego, self serving negativity and try to dominate this site with asinine remarks.
I guess what I want is a place where any newbie fan come and learn about the complexity and greatness of the game of baseball and I just don't see that happening with the proliferation of those who feed off of trying to make others feel inferior to themselves and who aren't trying to have a good time taking baseball and baseball theory with other baseball fans.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:28 am

BOOF wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
BOOF wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
davus wrote:smallball prevails again!

You are just trying to anger someone by such a statement. Back it up. You watched the games. Longball prevails again. I would like to see someone's example of how Chicago is scoring with smallball? Pods singled last night, stole 2nd, with none out, was stranded. Chicago blasted 2 more homers.

Didn't the Sox just win the World Series with a sac bunt and single?

True, they won that game with it. Looking at the 12 post season games for Chicago, i found they had 6 SH and 2 SF. They did score some runs by it, out of the 67 they scored. But it doesn't seem to be a great %. Imo, the real difference was Chicagos 18 hrs versus giving up only 9.

I understand the statistical analysis, but when it comes down to the most important time of the whole season, it's hard for even the most objective mind to not at least aknowledge that the Sox won a fair share of important games playing "small ball".

If you'd like to define "a fair share" as opposed to "Game 4 of the Series", I'm all ears.

Congrats to the Sox on demolishing the Astros, something I was rooting for them to do since the matchup was set, because I simply cannot stand Houston. They played incredible in the post-season.

However, I'm still waiting to see how they won "a fair share" of games through playing smallball, and not through superb pitching and timely Homeruns.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:11 am

the sox were just plain a great team in October for sure,,,, won 14 out of their last 15 games against the likes of cleveland, boston, angels, and houston---all teams with records above .500..... i did not keep up with them alot during the regular season due to my south east coast "bias" :-D :-D but i did watch most of these last 16 games they played and I think they won due to being the best team....they had awesome pitching, very good defense, and timely hitting---needless to say i saw alot more timely homeruns then i did sacrifices and hit and runs but that was only a small portion of the season as well though..... some may call their style of play small ball, ozzie ball, or power ball,,,, but you better make sure u call them Champs..... cause i know for sure some and especially me did not give them a chance against cleveland, boston, anaheim, or houston,,, heck i had them not even making the playoffs with a week to go in the regular season....

but chicago fans enjoy your world series title,(88 years has been a long time), as i know i will enjoy the world series title once my drays ever win one for sure.... ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:17 pm

Raiders,

If your DRays can come up with some pitching they have a lot of hitting talent coming along the pike.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:18 am

BOOF wrote:I understand the statistical analysis, but when it comes down to the most important time of the whole season, it's hard for even the most objective mind to not at least aknowledge that the Sox won a fair share of important games playing "small ball".

They played smallball true, to a extent. I guess it depends what you call a FAIR share?

I went through Chicago's post season play by play, to try and find how many runs came by smallball. I included sacrifice hits (6), sac flys (2), sb (13).

Chicago scored 67 runs.
32 came by homers (47%).
7 runs came by smallball (10%).

And they had 7 caught stealing, which probably prevented runs from scoring. But not including CS, they had a 47% to 10% hr to smallball run scoring %. Now i give them credit for the 7 smallball runs. They do play it to a degree. But why aren't they known for longball? Seems odd.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:25 am

For the season, the Sox scored 42% of their total Runs from Home Runs. They were 5th in the majors in that category.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers