Enough small ball talk? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Enough small ball talk?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Enough small ball talk?

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:52 pm

So I log onto mlb.com and on the front page shows how the two teams in the world series are there for pitching, defense and their ability to play small ball.

Can someone, ANYONE show me some evidence that the White Sox doing so well this season was as a result of playing "small ball"?

The White Sox were 5th in the majors in HR's....to me that seems quite high for a team that wins by playing small ball. They were also 13th in Runs Scored....could it be possible that alot of their runs were scored by long balls?

I always said that it was the Sox' defense and pitching that got them as far as they did....why the small ball argument?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:13 pm

Yeah, I'm also tired of hearing this small ball stuff left and right. Whenever a team without big superstars plays fundamentally sound, they are playing "small ball", to the analysts. Boo.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:30 pm

I think that the fact that no (or very few) teams actually do play small ball, makes the perception of the meaning of it change from what it actually is to sort of what hort said, but more being fundamentally sound.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:59 pm

Well in all fairness most of their HR advantage comes from playing in US Cellular which boosts HR totals. Away they were right in the middle of the pack when it came to homers in the AL.

"Small-ball" is the definition people like to use when a team has a decent offense and good pitching + defense and win games. In reality, the Sox won because of their great pitching staff this year. Their offense was average at best once you factor in the park effect.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby San D » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:00 pm

I think it's a good psychological ploy that keeps them focused on every at bat even though they are MLB average hitters. It makes them feel like they are playing all aspects of the game, keeps the game interesting and it carries over to the fielding.
:-?
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:22 pm

Chicago ran alot, but was it worth it? Chicago ranked 22nd in sb %, with a terrible 67 %. Their running cost them runs. They only ranked 16th in sacrifice hits.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:26 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Chicago ran alot, but was it worth it? Chicago ranked 22nd in sb %, with a terrible 67 %. Their running cost them runs. They only ranked 16th in sacrifice hits.

Exactly Hootie. They are towards the top in steals, but mainly due to one player they have.....Pods something. ;-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby giants8307 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:35 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Chicago ran alot, but was it worth it? Chicago ranked 22nd in sb %, with a terrible 67 %. Their running cost them runs. They only ranked 16th in sacrifice hits.

I think you gain 1/3 of run for every steal and lose 2/3 for every CS. Seems like stealing did exactly nothing for them.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:52 pm

giants8307 wrote:

I think you gain 1/3 of run for every steal and lose 2/3 for every CS. Seems like stealing did exactly nothing for them.

linear weights has shown
a sb is worth .17 run
caught stealing worth (-.45) run
72% is around the break even point
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:12 am

HOOTIE wrote:linear weights has shown
a sb is worth .17 run
caught stealing worth (-.45) run
72% is around the break even point

Do you know how they calculate those figures?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers