baseball video game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

baseball video game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:42 pm

free wrote:does any of the games mentioned have a coach mode where you can basically just watch your team and call the plays, etc?


MVP has a form like that, but you can't watch the plays. You can pick "Swing" or "Hit and run" but you dont see it happen, just a a box score. I think ALL-Star Baseball 2000-2004 had a feature where you can be the manager in the game and call the shots.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9790
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:59 pm

eftda wrote:
free wrote:does any of the games mentioned have a coach mode where you can basically just watch your team and call the plays, etc?


MVP has a form like that, but you can't watch the plays. You can pick "Swing" or "Hit and run" but you dont see it happen, just a a box score. I think ALL-Star Baseball 2000-2004 had a feature where you can be the manager in the game and call the shots.


I had All-Star Baseball 2001, but I can't remember anything about coaching the game and watching it. You're right for the MVP one though, they have the opton to play, manage, and sim on the bottom of the screen before every game.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6696
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 23 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:06 pm

Your right, i just checked google. I was mixing up MVP/All-Star baseball managing with 'watch the game mode'. Sorry. :*)
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9790
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby free » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:03 pm

so on the coach mode you can't actually see the game? is there a mlb game out on the market that you can actually coach and watch the game at the same time, pc game maybe?
Image
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 841
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

Postby free » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:22 am

what about the not-so-popular pc baseball games?
Image
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 841
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:25 am

bleach168 wrote:For realism, I recommend Out of the Park Baseball 6.

The game is so detailed, it's sick.

    Salary arbitration.
    After trading deadline, players must clear waivers if you want to trade them.
    Single A, Double AA, and Triple AAA minor league teams.
    40-man rosters.
    Rule 5 draft.

And then are the things that make the game fun and interesting while being rare enough that it seems realistic

    Players have a national and local popularity rating.
    Rain delays and double-headers.
    Japanese and defected Cuban players entering the league before free-agency.
    Off-season and spring training injuries.
    Player personality. Some players want to play for a winning team, some are greedy, and some simply hate your organization.
    Bench clearing brawls and ejections.
    Players sometimes come out of retirement and start a comeback.
    Play enough seasons and you will start to see Randy Winn Jr., Roger Cedeno Jr., etc. No guarantee they will make it out of the minors though.

Game is $20 and the expansion pack is $10.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp/index.php


I would love to get together 30 different owners and start a real league ..
I would gamble that within the ranks of the cafe, we could find enough players, if that is even possible.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 734)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby free » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:46 am

wrveres wrote:
bleach168 wrote:For realism, I recommend Out of the Park Baseball 6.

The game is so detailed, it's sick.

    Salary arbitration.
    After trading deadline, players must clear waivers if you want to trade them.
    Single A, Double AA, and Triple AAA minor league teams.
    40-man rosters.
    Rule 5 draft.

And then are the things that make the game fun and interesting while being rare enough that it seems realistic

    Players have a national and local popularity rating.
    Rain delays and double-headers.
    Japanese and defected Cuban players entering the league before free-agency.
    Off-season and spring training injuries.
    Player personality. Some players want to play for a winning team, some are greedy, and some simply hate your organization.
    Bench clearing brawls and ejections.
    Players sometimes come out of retirement and start a comeback.
    Play enough seasons and you will start to see Randy Winn Jr., Roger Cedeno Jr., etc. No guarantee they will make it out of the minors though.

Game is $20 and the expansion pack is $10.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp/index.php


I would love to get together 30 different owners and start a real league ..
I would gamble that within the ranks of the cafe, we could find enough players, if that is even possible.



sounds like the depth is there, but how is the game-play? i've really never got into playing any sports games on the pc :-?
Image
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 841
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:59 am

free wrote:
wrveres wrote:
bleach168 wrote:For realism, I recommend Out of the Park Baseball 6.

The game is so detailed, it's sick.

    Salary arbitration.
    After trading deadline, players must clear waivers if you want to trade them.
    Single A, Double AA, and Triple AAA minor league teams.
    40-man rosters.
    Rule 5 draft.

And then are the things that make the game fun and interesting while being rare enough that it seems realistic

    Players have a national and local popularity rating.
    Rain delays and double-headers.
    Japanese and defected Cuban players entering the league before free-agency.
    Off-season and spring training injuries.
    Player personality. Some players want to play for a winning team, some are greedy, and some simply hate your organization.
    Bench clearing brawls and ejections.
    Players sometimes come out of retirement and start a comeback.
    Play enough seasons and you will start to see Randy Winn Jr., Roger Cedeno Jr., etc. No guarantee they will make it out of the minors though.

Game is $20 and the expansion pack is $10.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp/index.php


I would love to get together 30 different owners and start a real league ..
I would gamble that within the ranks of the cafe, we could find enough players, if that is even possible.



sounds like the depth is there, but how is the game-play? i've really never got into playing any sports games on the pc :-?


i think this is more of a management game vs a "playing game" with joysticks and all. I have never played, but I have played many similar games ..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 734)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:57 am

wrveres wrote:
free wrote:
wrveres wrote:
bleach168 wrote:For realism, I recommend Out of the Park Baseball 6.

The game is so detailed, it's sick.

    Salary arbitration.
    After trading deadline, players must clear waivers if you want to trade them.
    Single A, Double AA, and Triple AAA minor league teams.
    40-man rosters.
    Rule 5 draft.

And then are the things that make the game fun and interesting while being rare enough that it seems realistic

    Players have a national and local popularity rating.
    Rain delays and double-headers.
    Japanese and defected Cuban players entering the league before free-agency.
    Off-season and spring training injuries.
    Player personality. Some players want to play for a winning team, some are greedy, and some simply hate your organization.
    Bench clearing brawls and ejections.
    Players sometimes come out of retirement and start a comeback.
    Play enough seasons and you will start to see Randy Winn Jr., Roger Cedeno Jr., etc. No guarantee they will make it out of the minors though.

Game is $20 and the expansion pack is $10.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp/index.php


I would love to get together 30 different owners and start a real league ..
I would gamble that within the ranks of the cafe, we could find enough players, if that is even possible.



sounds like the depth is there, but how is the game-play? i've really never got into playing any sports games on the pc :-?


i think this is more of a management game vs a "playing game" with joysticks and all. I have never played, but I have played many similar games ..


You would be precisely correct. The OOTP series is not like a console game. Its entire purpose is to act as the Owner/GM/Manager of a club (or several), manage finances, talent, etc. It's the ultimate sim baseball game. It has the 'coach' mode free asked about, where you basically just go pitch by pitch, and can decide what you want your batter/runners/fielders to do, etc. I've participated in several on-line leagues, where 30 real humans will control their team, trade with other owners, etc. etc. It's a complete blast, if you find a strong league not run by kiddies and the like. I imagine if the Cafe got the masses to purchase the game, it would put together one heck of a competative league. I'd love to see a fictional one run, myself, to see how guys deal when familiar names aren't attatched. I always found fictional leagues to be much more fun than MLB leagues; current ones at least. I once did a league called MLB '85, where we started our league with the 1985 roster set and played it from there to see how it would all work out. Great fun.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 354)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby free » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:00 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
wrveres wrote:
free wrote:
wrveres wrote:
bleach168 wrote:For realism, I recommend Out of the Park Baseball 6.

The game is so detailed, it's sick.

    Salary arbitration.
    After trading deadline, players must clear waivers if you want to trade them.
    Single A, Double AA, and Triple AAA minor league teams.
    40-man rosters.
    Rule 5 draft.

And then are the things that make the game fun and interesting while being rare enough that it seems realistic

    Players have a national and local popularity rating.
    Rain delays and double-headers.
    Japanese and defected Cuban players entering the league before free-agency.
    Off-season and spring training injuries.
    Player personality. Some players want to play for a winning team, some are greedy, and some simply hate your organization.
    Bench clearing brawls and ejections.
    Players sometimes come out of retirement and start a comeback.
    Play enough seasons and you will start to see Randy Winn Jr., Roger Cedeno Jr., etc. No guarantee they will make it out of the minors though.

Game is $20 and the expansion pack is $10.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp/index.php


I would love to get together 30 different owners and start a real league ..
I would gamble that within the ranks of the cafe, we could find enough players, if that is even possible.



sounds like the depth is there, but how is the game-play? i've really never got into playing any sports games on the pc :-?


i think this is more of a management game vs a "playing game" with joysticks and all. I have never played, but I have played many similar games ..


You would be precisely correct. The OOTP series is not like a console game. Its entire purpose is to act as the Owner/GM/Manager of a club (or several), manage finances, talent, etc. It's the ultimate sim baseball game. It has the 'coach' mode free asked about, where you basically just go pitch by pitch, and can decide what you want your batter/runners/fielders to do, etc. I've participated in several on-line leagues, where 30 real humans will control their team, trade with other owners, etc. etc. It's a complete blast, if you find a strong league not run by kiddies and the like. I imagine if the Cafe got the masses to purchase the game, it would put together one heck of a competative league. I'd love to see a fictional one run, myself, to see how guys deal when familiar names aren't attatched. I always found fictional leagues to be much more fun than MLB leagues; current ones at least. I once did a league called MLB '85, where we started our league with the 1985 roster set and played it from there to see how it would all work out. Great fun.



what are the graphics like? also, is it based off of real-life teams and players or all fake names, etc.?
Image
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 841
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Sep. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at Atlanta
(1:35 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(2:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Seattle at Houston
(2:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(8:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact