Shelton v. Dan Johnson v. Kotchman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shelton v. Dan Johnson v. Kotchman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:00 pm

wrveres wrote:well for one, they played in the same leagues while in the minors ... and two Johnson would/could have been up in Oakland one if not two years sooner but his path was blocked.

I think this will be an interesting discussion for the next few years, but I'd still take Johnson. Kotchman looks to me to be much like a Sean Casey type of player

Yep they played in the same leagues ... at <b>different</b> ages, that is the point I was making. I agree it could be interesting to view at a later time cause a lot of people wonder if Kotchmen can hit for power, myself included.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:56 pm

I really like this Kotchman kids after watching him half a dozen times.

But Dan Johnson seems to be the logical choice here. :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:27 pm

Kotchman isn't even 23 yet...the fact he's hitting .372 in AAA as a 21 year-old gives me reason to believe he can develop into whatever type of hitter he chooses. He's also patient; something most players his age don't have.

Kotchman has the best upside and is the only one I'd take of the three, mainly because I think Shelton will be a huge disappointment next season.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Fantasy Guru » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:53 am

I keep hearing Shelton will pick up C eligibility. If so, I will take him over the other two.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:56 am

Well, as far as discipline it might be a wash between Johnson and Kotchman. Johnson might have a better eye. I think Johnson is a 25 HR ish guy with the chance to hit .300. I think Kotchman might hit .310-.320 with the possiblity of 25 HRs with a lower OBP than Johnson. Both might be comparable, but Kotchman doesn't seem to have a postion with all of the Angels prospects. Nice problem to have tho.

Not knowing much on Shelton he seems to have put up pretty good numbers. He seems kinda blocked by Young, and I'm not too sure why the Tigers play Inge at third. He doesn't have a good enough bat there in my opinion. But, I guess thats the Tiger organiztion for you.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:29 am

The buzz from Tuesday's World Series Game 3 at the former Enron Field:

-- White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, the only 40-homer player in the World Series, is telling teammates that he doesn't want to play in Boston next year but that the Angels, another team hoping to pursue him, are intriguing. He lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., and would prefer his spring training in Arizona, not Florida, so he could spend time with his newborn.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:52 am

wrveres wrote:The buzz from Tuesday's World Series Game 3 at the former Enron Field:

-- White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, the only 40-homer player in the World Series, is telling teammates that he doesn't want to play in Boston next year but that the Angels, another team hoping to pursue him, are intriguing. He lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., and would prefer his spring training in Arizona, not Florida, so he could spend time with his newborn.

IF Konerko does sign with the Angels (which I doubt), then Kotchman will almost certainly be traded. Which means anywhere he ends up, he will have an opportunity to start as soon as 06.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Phatferd » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:04 pm

Yoda wrote:
wrveres wrote:The buzz from Tuesday's World Series Game 3 at the former Enron Field:

IF Konerko does sign with the Angels (which I doubt), then Kotchman will almost certainly be traded. Which means anywhere he ends up, he will have an opportunity to start as soon as 06.

I dunno....Like I said earlier Kotchman has a very nice glove. The Angels are also a little thin at DH. I wouldn't be suprised if the Angel's move Konerko to DH....
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:54 pm

Fantasy Guru wrote:I keep hearing Shelton will pick up C eligibility. If so, I will take him over the other two.

I think he had C eligibility last year because of the games he played there the year before. He didn't play any games for the Tigers as a catcher last year though so he doesn't have eligibility this year. I can't see him supplanting IRod at catcher (for the next year or two atleast) but if he does sneak some games in his minor league numbers/last years numbers seem solid enough to give him a shot.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:57 pm

Wow, it would be nice for fantasy owners to have Konerko and Vlad hitting back to back. I remember seeing, possibly earlier in this post that Kotchman had a good glove. I would stick him at 1st and have Konerko DH full time.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers