Shelton v. Dan Johnson v. Kotchman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shelton v. Dan Johnson v. Kotchman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:10 am

triple dog ditto post
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Surfs up » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:20 am

I like Shelton over the other two.Shelton has more plate disapline.He has power to all fields.He also will hit for a higher average then Kotchman . Johnson should hit for a decent average but over all Shelton, Johnson, Kotchman
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby Phatferd » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:36 pm

One thing people aren't mentioning about Kotchman and 3B...

HE"S LEFT-HANDED for crying out loud!!!!

Don't think he'll be playing 3B any time soon.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:13 pm

Phatferd wrote:One thing people aren't mentioning about Kotchman and 3B...

HE"S LEFT-HANDED for crying out loud!!!!

Don't think he'll be playing 3B any time soon.

Hank Blalock :-?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:34 pm

Blalock bats L and throws R.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:41 pm

I'm not going to say Kotchman will develope power, cause no one really knows that. But wrveres leaves out quite a big number in his stats, the age of the hitters. Right now Kotchman is 22 and played in AAA/MLB, at the same point in their careers the other hitters were in A ball. So to just look at the year by year stats it doesn't do any justice with out taking that into account. Imagine if Kotchman was back in A ball, I would think it's pretty safe to say he would put up better numbers then the other two did.

Anyways the numbers do show one thing, he hit for similiar power this year as the others did. Which is starting to show developing power vs guys who were 3 to 31/2 years older. Of course this doesn't mean he will continue to hit for more power, but it does show a sign of what might come.

Also I'm curious why you brought up speed in this arguement, when they are all slow 1st baseman. :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:09 am

well I clearly brought up their ages ...
and yes I brought up speed, but obviouslly downplayed it immed. :-? :-?

One thing that IS bieng overlooked is that Anaheim is rushing Kotchman, where Dan was allowed to develop properly. Also it is a little hypocrtical to say that Kotchman will develop this and that, and assume that Dan wont. Again, Dan was the better power hitter when they were at the same age (22-23) and he is the better power hitter now. Nothing suggests to me that Kotchman will be better over the long run. Just because he is younger does not mean he is automatically the better prospect.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:53 am

Ah sorry, more or less just looked at the stats you posted. Also Kotchman was 22, not 23 ... but that is nit picking.

So how is Kotchman being rushed? He has hit well above .300 in almost every year except 2002 & 2005, and this year was mainly due to a bad start. I just don't see how a career .320 minor league hitter is being rushed. In fact, Dan Johnson has only had one more year in the minors. The only reason I can assume you think he is being rushed is due to him not having lots of AB's at certain levels due to injury. But even then he hits at every level and shows great discipline.

I hope the hypcritical comment isn't in reference to me, cause I never said Kotchman will develope more power. See, what is off on your theory that Dan has more power cause he hit for more at the same age, is that they played in two vastly different leagues. The difference between Johnson hitting at High A and Kotchman in AAA/MLB, is a very significant and can't be overlooked. Kotchman hitting 17 HR's in AAA/MLB is more impressive to me then Johnson hitting 21 in High A.

Kotchman is a better prospect cause he was/is far more advanced then Johnson was at the same age. That isn't to say Kotchman will defiantly end up being better, cause prospects even the more polished don't end up reaching their potential. If I had to say how they would compare in their primes, I'd say both would have about the same power ... mid 20 HR power. But most everything I would give the edge to Kotchman, he is a better hitter at the same age and should have a better line up around him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:38 am

well for one, they played in the same leagues while in the minors ... and two Johnson would/could have been up in Oakland one if not two years sooner but his path was blocked.

I think this will be an interesting discussion for the next few years, but I'd still take Johnson. Kotchman looks to me to be much like a Sean Casey type of player
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:43 pm

wrveres wrote:well for one, they played in the same leagues while in the minors ... and two Johnson would/could have been up in Oakland one if not two years sooner but his path was blocked.

I think this will be an interesting discussion for the next few years, but I'd still take Johnson. Kotchman looks to me to be much like a Sean Casey type of player

I generally agree with you WR, but I don't in this case.

As an Angel fan Kotchman is not getting rushed. He is majorly blocked. He has Erstad in front of him who is making 8 million a year so they Angels aren't going to bench Erstad, and they don't want him in the OF anymore because he get's hurt to easily out there.

Not to mention that they signed Kendry Morales who is a 1B...If they wanted to rush Kotchman they would of had him as their DH. Instead they let him go to AAA and was only called up when someone got hurt and he did pretty decent so they kept him around for the playoff push. He also had one of the most productive AB's in the White Sox series out of all the Angels..

I don't see him being a 30 HR a year hitter, but I can see him becoming a 25 HR a year hitter. I also think he can be a consistent .300 hitter.

Another thing that makes him a top prosepect is his glove. He is known to be a future gold glover at 1B.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers