Let's talk World Series! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk World Series!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:35 am

Astros aren't the same team as a slumping Angels team...

I just like the Stros a whole lot more than the Sox.

Stros in 5. Split in Chicago and Houston sweeps at home.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:11 am

I'll be rooting for the Astros, specifically Biggio since he is a Long Island boy. I agree that the series should be close but if I was going to bet on it, I'd take the Sox. Sox in 7.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:22 am

Hmmm, I think one's going to be the astros. I just got to go with my boy Oswalt.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:36 am

davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:I don't really care that much about Clemens. I did not like the way he left the team with his "retirement," but I certainly don't have a dislike for him. I appreciate everything he did in NY (being at The Stadium for his 300th win is one of my favorite baseball memories), but I can't say I go out of my way to root for him too much now. Him winning is perfectly fine with me and he deserves it, but the guy I care about is Pettitte and I hope, for him, the Astros win.

Rooting for the Astros is cool, but how can you be rooting for the Astros based on Pettitte? He's won a bunch before. The real reason you should be rooting for the 'Stros is Bagwell and Biggio.

Dave, please don't tell why I can root for a team.

I have my reasons, you have yours. I don't care that Pettitte has already won, he's the reason I want them to win.

Fair enough, but it's odd because it seems like the mass consensus is that it's Biggio and Bagwell's turn for glory.

How is it odd?

Pettitte was one of the Yankee greats of the dynasty. He was easily my favorite starter then.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:22 am

Astros .... And I don't care how many games it takes, but for my viewing pleasure .. I would prefer it to go 7 of course.

But no, I am rooting for Houston for a muriad of reasons ...

A) NL League = Real Baseball .. You don't believe me, check the rule book and it clearly says .. "Rule # 1, Baseball is a game played between 9 players on each team" .. .. Not 10!
Does anybody even remember WHY the AL went to a DH? I do!
IMO the 3 year "Experiment" is over! hell I'd bet if the AL pansies had their way back in 1972, we would have designated runners. What a crock the DH is.

B) Bagwell, Biggio, Berkman and Burke of course .. Got to respect an organization that obviously bumps up players on their draft sheets if only because their last name begins with "B" don't ya? I mean the draft really is that much of a crap shoot anyways, so why not.
Oh, and don't be sending me PM's saying that Bagwell wasn't "drafted" by Houston.
I know!
They ripped him off from Boston. ;-7

Which brings me to ...

C) Roger Clemens .. Probably the 2nd biggest reason I'll cheer for Houston, behind my NL bias. Simply put, he is the greatest pitcher of our generation, period! Add in the fact that Boston kicked him to the curb and told him he was washed up a decade ago, and it makes it all the sweeter. Kind of makes you wonder if GM's even know what talent is doesn't it? It is similar to LA getting rid of Pedro "because he will never amount to anything" only on a grander scale ..
Go Rocket!!

D) Nolan Ryan .. My favorite player of all time, got a third of his wins and K's in his 9 seasons as an Astro.

E) Colts 45's ... still one of the neatest team names of all time.

F) Dickie Thon .. one of the coolest sounding names to ever grace the boxscores.

G) Houston was the first ever "NL Wild Card team" .. Something baseball got right.

H) In the first ever "Astros" ball game, they beat the Yankees 2-1.

So sure I would love to see Biggio and Bagwell get their rings, but I am pulling for Houston because of Roger ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:24 pm

wrveres wrote:A) NL League = Real Baseball .. You don't believe me, check the rule book and it clearly says .. "Rule # 1, Baseball is a game played between 9 players on each team" .. .. Not 10!
Does anybody even remember WHY the AL went to a DH? I do!
IMO the 3 year "Experiment" is over! hell I'd bet if the AL pansies had their way back in 1972, we would have designated runners. What a crock the DH is.

The real bb as you call it, is only played by the NL. Minor leagues use the DH, as do colleges. And i'm pretty sure HS do too. I don't have a problem with the DH. Pitchers worry about pitching, it's their meal ticket. Hitting is a real afterthought. If every pitcher could hit like Willis or Hampton, great. But i believe the career BA for pitchers is .160. I could be wrong there, going on memory. It's just not that much fun watching a .160 hitter hit. Just my 2 cents.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:25 am

i'm be pulling for the chisox. as a braves fan, i don't like the astros for some reason.... can't imagine why that would be. ;-7

also, i've had it up to here (*gestures*) with those WC teams. i mean honestly, the WC shouldn't be about who has the best two (or 3) starters....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fool42 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:12 am

I say the Sox in 5. Oswalt gets the only Stros win.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers