Beltran for M-Ram - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran for M-Ram

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:40 pm

Tavish wrote:
blankman wrote:Funny perhaps, yet Alex Rodriguez was as far as I know, the first player with which that nickname was done in the current game. That was fine; it was his nickname. When you try and do that with every single player as so many do now, it gets to be really stupid for those additional players. I mean just think about all these stupid ones going around....MRam, ARam, MCabs, IRod, KRod, FRod... When you try to use it for every single player, it loses its originality.

Sure its annoying, I just couldn't help but notice the irony. Besides A-Rod isn't even a nickname, its an abbreviation. Plus he stole it from Tolkien who used it 40 years before him.

Michael Jordan called. So did several other athletes who went by nicknames and/or abbreviations to their names before Alex Rodriguez's heterosexuality was up for debate.

Then again, maybe you meant he was the first one to have the W-Xyz tag, but then again, Pudge Rodriguez may have something to say about that. I remember them calling him I-Rod way back when.

Then again, A-Rod's a Yankee now, so he must've been first. ;-7

Just kidding. No need to make a new sig devoted to me or anything like that. ;-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:46 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Wow. I really can't see this happening at all, and I think the Mets can get him cheaper if they tried. Manny is the better hitter of the two, but he is also older, more brittle, and a hell of a lot more outspoken. It would allow the Mets to bring Cameron back to CF, but I'd like to get Manny without giving Beltran. I wouldn't mind trading Milledge though.

I'm not overly worried, I'm sure we find out there was little substance to this rumor in the upcoming days.

More brittle? How long was Beltran out this season (I believe it was the hamstring). Manny didnt miss that much time with injuries this yr.

I wouldn't consider Manny brittle (he's had 3 straight seasons of 150+ G) except for the age factor. Beltran played in 151 G, Manny 152 G.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wozzyck » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:27 pm

Is there really such a scarcity of gifted Latin players in MLB that Beltran can uniquely attract that demographic, to the point where it justifies an enormous, risky contract? To me, this seems totally bogus. That role could be filled by a number of players (Manny among them, as was mentioned), and players that can reasonably be expected to justify their contracts on the field (the Mets have one in Pedro, already). With rare exceptions (Ripken and some other HOF/iconic types), a player is only as marketable as his recent performance dictates, and it would take much less than a fade into obscurity for a player like Beltran to lose his marketing luster, and for the Mets to find an albatross on their hands.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:39 pm

If he repeats his 05 numbers in 06, I think Mr. Beltran will have all the marketing luster in NY of Bin Laden. Beltran is either going to redeem himself or become the Mets version of Kevin Brown with all the popularity among the fan base of the bubonic plague.

Frankly, given Manny's track record and pure, outright ability to hit, I think the Red Sox would have to be absolutely out of their minds to trade Manny for him. I have never understood why Manny gets so much flak up there. So he is a little flaky...so what? Geez if the Yanks had traded every club house flake or troublemaker of sorts they would have lost Reggie, Nettles, D. Wells among others over the years. Manny is no where as big an a**hole as Pedro was or Millar is. He is just a bit spacey.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:16 am

Cleveland can't afford him, who knows whether the Angels want a player like that, and I can't see why he would want to go to Arizona. If he doesn't like the Mets then I don't think he's going anywhere.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:27 am

Well we know Moreno isn't afraid to shell out the big bucks. Vlad and Manny in the same lineup would be pretty sweet.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:24 pm

Amazinz wrote:Well we know Moreno isn't afraid to shell out the big bucks. Vlad and Manny in the same lineup would be pretty sweet.

so much for small ball then. :-b
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers