Beltran for M-Ram - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran for M-Ram

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Half Massed » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:43 am

This isn't a win-win situation, and with players of this caliber and especially this contract level, a trade won't happen unless it is. The Mets have made plenty of mistakes in this area, but I can't see them going through with this, and it isn't even all roses for Boston either.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:06 am

Tavish wrote:
blankman wrote:One more thing....can we stop with these asinine nicknames? M-Ram? ManRam? It's just Manny. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

blankman wrote:Bets: A-Rod will hit 40 HR and have a better season than Tejada.

:-D

Funny perhaps, yet Alex Rodriguez was as far as I know, the first player with which that nickname was done in the current game. That was fine; it was his nickname. When you try and do that with every single player as so many do now, it gets to be really stupid for those additional players. I mean just think about all these stupid ones going around....MRam, ARam, MCabs, IRod, KRod, FRod... When you try to use it for every single player, it loses its originality.

If you noticed, I used to have his full name in the sig. As I changed banners, I ran into a file size problem, which forced me to abbreviate his name.

Nice try though. ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Wozzyck » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:21 am

RynMan wrote:12 months ago the Mets were worshipping this guy, now they want to trade him after one bad season where he had a nagging injury and adjusting to a new environment? I don't buy it. If they do, I think it is a terrible job of management on their part. If they do this deal, they are pretty much saying "Well, Beltran was a bad signing, we screwed up". Manny would be horrible in Shea's spacious outfield.

The thing is is that Beltran has a bad contract, whether the Mets admit this publicly or not, and it's one more mediocre season away from being a disaster. Beltran is simply not the sort of player that should ever have received that much money for that many years. (PR is certainly a concern, but in trading for a player like Manny, spinning this wouldn't be terribly difficult.) And should a nagging quad injury provide some comfort going forward on a 6-year $108M contract?
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:04 am

It wasn't any great secret when Beltran signed that he'd never live up to the contract by producing on the field. It also wasn't that big of a secret that this move was more than simply a baseball transaction. Unless Beltran just fades into obscurity he we easily make the Mets enough money to justify the contract.

Maybe Manny doesn't want to play in NY or more specifically for the Mets. Or maybe you have to filter just about everything Gammons writes about the Red Sox. It's always biased and rarely accurate. It may be that Manny prefers Anaheim or it may be that Manny's agent is positioning himself at an attempt to get the Mets to agree to an extension.

Either way, the idea of Beltran for Manny doesn't have much leg at this point. It started with a single quote in an opinion piece that has grown a life of it's own. Nothing is an impossibility but it seems highly unlikely to me.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wozzyck » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:52 pm

Amazinz wrote:Unless Beltran just fades into obscurity he we easily make the Mets enough money to justify the contract.

Could you elaborate on this?
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:10 pm

Wozzyck wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Unless Beltran just fades into obscurity he we easily make the Mets enough money to justify the contract.

Sure I could but do you really need me to explain how a player can be valuable to a club above and beyond production on the field? Beltran's value to the Mets lies in his marketability and the new Mets television network as well as his production on the field.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:36 pm

blankman wrote:Funny perhaps, yet Alex Rodriguez was as far as I know, the first player with which that nickname was done in the current game. That was fine; it was his nickname. When you try and do that with every single player as so many do now, it gets to be really stupid for those additional players. I mean just think about all these stupid ones going around....MRam, ARam, MCabs, IRod, KRod, FRod... When you try to use it for every single player, it loses its originality.

Sure its annoying, I just couldn't help but notice the irony. Besides A-Rod isn't even a nickname, its an abbreviation. Plus he stole it from Tolkien who used it 40 years before him.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby mikhayl » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:54 pm

Wozzyck wrote:

I don't know about the tv audience, but at Shea the Dominican and Puerto Rican contingent is definitely huge and they (sorry for generalizing) really like to get behind their players.

Beltran drives ticket sales, merchandise sales, and his pretty face is the face of almost every Mets advertising campaign.

Obviously Manny is Dominican and he would also be highly marketable, but Beltran is immensely valuable (beyond his on the field production) in Queens, which is the most ethnically diverse geographic location on the planet.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:03 pm

Tavish wrote:
blankman wrote:Funny perhaps, yet Alex Rodriguez was as far as I know, the first player with which that nickname was done in the current game. That was fine; it was his nickname. When you try and do that with every single player as so many do now, it gets to be really stupid for those additional players. I mean just think about all these stupid ones going around....MRam, ARam, MCabs, IRod, KRod, FRod... When you try to use it for every single player, it loses its originality.

Sure its annoying, I just couldn't help but notice the irony. Besides A-Rod isn't even a nickname, its an abbreviation. Plus he stole it from Tolkien who used it 40 years before him.

No, I understand. Had his full name fit after I changed my banner, I'd have left it. Actually, now that I changed it again it might fit...

...it does ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BritSox » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:27 pm

More to the point Blank, why is that still in the sig when it's been resolved?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers