Beltran for M-Ram - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran for M-Ram

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:13 pm

blankman wrote:The ESPN article doesn't say its on the table at all now. This "trade" was back at the deadline and the Mets declined it and rightfully so for their best interests.

I don't understand why people are talking about it as if it could happen. The Mets aren't this stupid.
[

Fair enough...but I don't see why people are acting like this CAN'T happen. If A-Rod and that contract can be moved, a deal like this proposal can be pulled off. Never say never.

Besides, just playing Devil's Advocate from the Mets' perspective, they'd get Manny whom Minaya has long coveted and have Milledge on the way up to plug into CF. Plus after his down year some people might just be soured enough on Beltran to move him.

Nobody's saying it will happen but nobody should be saying it won't either. You just don't know.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:15 pm

Actually Gammons' article is saying Manny doesn't want to be traded to the Mets and that his relationship with Pedro is "overblown" so who knows what to believe anymore :-[
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:28 pm

blankman wrote:I don't understand why people are talking about it as if it could happen. The Mets aren't this stupid.

Exactly. Why the hell the Mets would do this deal I have no idea..
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby blankman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:28 pm

nsulham wrote:Actually Gammons' article is saying Manny doesn't want to be traded to the Mets and that his relationship with Pedro is "overblown" so who knows what to believe anymore :-[

That was a big part of the reason for my post. That article and that along with common sense is why I say it will not happen.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:54 pm

blankman wrote:One more thing....can we stop with these asinine nicknames? M-Ram? ManRam? It's just Manny. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

blankman wrote:Bets: A-Rod will hit 40 HR and have a better season than Tejada.

:-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:23 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I've heard these rumors too, but I just don't see it happening.
I hope the Mets decline.

Nice. :-[

And I actually regarded you as one of the more open minded individuals on these boards...

What? :-?

Nevermind, ignore me. I completely misread your post. :-b

You're back to an insightful member of the Cafe in my mind. ;-D

Please forgive my misreading, it's been a looooong day. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:38 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I've heard these rumors too, but I just don't see it happening.
I hope the Mets decline.

Nice. :-[

And I actually regarded you as one of the more open minded individuals on these boards...

What? :-?

Nevermind, ignore me. I completely misread your post. :-b

You're back to an insightful member of the Cafe in my mind. ;-D

Please forgive my misreading, it's been a looooong day. ;-D

Haha, no problem. :-b
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Wozzyck » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:13 am

RynMan wrote:
blankman wrote:I don't understand why people are talking about it as if it could happen. The Mets aren't this stupid.

Exactly. Why the hell the Mets would do this deal I have no idea..

Beltran has had but two seasons with an OPS north of .900 and is coming off an age 28-season where he didn't crack .750. Admittedly, he's a good defensive center-fielder and baserunner, but for a player who's owed $18M/year for the next SIX seasons, this is already one of the worst contracts out there. :-P

Manny, of course, has an undesirable contract, but the extent of it's undesirability, at this point, is greatly overstated. When Manny was put on waivers, it was a 5-year $102M behemoth; but with it now at 3-year $57M (after two more exceptional offensive seasons), it's above market-value, but palatable for a player of this caliber.

I think the Mets would win such a trade, with little question.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:18 am

Wozzyck wrote:
Beltran has had but two seasons with an OPS north of .900 and is coming off an age 28-season where he didn't crack .750. Admittedly, he's a good defensive center-fielder and baserunner, but for a player who's owed $18M/year for the next SIX seasons, this is already one of the worst contracts out there. :-P

Manny, of course, has an undesirable contract, but the extent of it's undesirability, at this point, is greatly overstated. When Manny was put on waivers, it was a 5-year $102M behemoth; but with it now at 3-year $57M (after two more exceptional offensive seasons), it's above market-value, but palatable for a player of this caliber.

12 months ago the Mets were worshipping this guy, now they want to trade him after one bad season where he had a nagging injury and adjusting to a new environment? I don't buy it. If they do, I think it is a terrible job of management on their part. If they do this deal, they are pretty much saying "Well, Beltran was a bad signing, we screwed up". Manny would be horrible in Shea's spacious outfield.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:24 am

RynMan wrote:
Wozzyck wrote:

12 months ago the Mets were worshipping this guy, now they want to trade him after one bad season where he had a nagging injury and adjusting to a new environment? I don't buy it. If they do, I think it is a terrible job of management on their part. If they do this deal, they are pretty much saying "Well, Beltran was a bad signing, we screwed up". Manny would be horrible in Shea's spacious outfield.

I have to agree here, on all points. Now is not the time to pull the plug on Beltran, he needs to stay at Shea and hopefully prove himself. I have faith, much stranger things have happened.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers