cpu maintenance? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

cpu maintenance?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:22 am

Thought I'd join Free on the question front seeing as though the panel of experts is available!!! :-D

My computer is littered with folders and files that are kind of greyed out a little in Windows Explorer. Alot of the time the filename ends in .dll.....and alot of the time they are folder with computer-term names. Can anyone tell me why they are all over my computer and whether or not I can delete them??
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:17 am

RynMan wrote:Thought I'd join Free on the question front seeing as though the panel of experts is available!!! :-D

My computer is littered with folders and files that are kind of greyed out a little in Windows Explorer. Alot of the time the filename ends in .dll.....and alot of the time they are folder with computer-term names. Can anyone tell me why they are all over my computer and whether or not I can delete them??

I am not computer expert by any means but do now delete those files. If so, you will get acquainted with this site very quickly:

http://www.dll-files.com/
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:26 am

Greyed out folders in Windows means that the folder has the 'Hidden' attribute. By default those folders are invisible but you can force Explorer to show all files and folders. In that case the folder gets displayed greyed out.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby free » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:19 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:someone mentioned spyware earlier, but there are sometimes things that you intentionally download that bog down your system just as much. they arent really necessary or you dont use them often, but they load on start up anyway and hog your ram. when someone complains their computer is running slow i find thats quite frequently the cause.

would that be a prob with the registry :-? are there any good software programs for the registry?
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby free » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:27 am

Lofunzo wrote:
free wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I run regular AV and spyware scans. I also make sure to defrag and do disk cleanup. 1 thing that I also do is make sure to run registry scans. It is simple to do and has gotten me out of a lot of jams. ;-D ;-D

how do you run those registry scans :-?

I am not sure whether my version is still valid but I got Reg Mechanic for free and I run it often. It cleans up the bad keys left by normal use and spyware. Do you have a file sharing proggy that you use?? If so, you should be able to find it there. If not, I can probably get it in a day or so.

no file sharing proggy :,-(
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:17 am

free wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
free wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I run regular AV and spyware scans. I also make sure to defrag and do disk cleanup. 1 thing that I also do is make sure to run registry scans. It is simple to do and has gotten me out of a lot of jams. ;-D ;-D

I am not sure whether my version is still valid but I got Reg Mechanic for free and I run it often. It cleans up the bad keys left by normal use and spyware. Do you have a file sharing proggy that you use?? If so, you should be able to find it there. If not, I can probably get it in a day or so.

I just sent you an e-mail to the address in your profile. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:20 pm

free wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
free wrote:

Based on your sn I'd think you were a P2P Freak, but I guess I was wrong...
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby free » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:35 pm

[/quote]

Based on your sn I'd think you were a P2P Freak, but I guess I was wrong...[/quote]

really, why's that }:-) .....no, i try to not get into that as best as possible O:-)
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:45 pm

Did you get the e-mail?? Any luck??
Lofunzo

Postby free » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:07 pm

got it lo, thanks ;-D seems to be working just fine!
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to General Talk