cpu maintenance? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

cpu maintenance?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:34 pm

I reformat all my drives on a regular basis as part of maintenance especially on the gaming box. It's not as necessary with WinXP but it's just a habit I got into after years of working with inferior Windows OS. It also makes it easier because I use multiple partitions and ghost the drives so that installing everything isn't really a hassle.

Defragmenting regularly is good advice. A heavily fragmented drive can be a bottleneck on your system. The larger your drive and the more information on it the bigger the performance improvement.

free wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Free: That's a myth. Once it's deleted, it's deleted. Don't believe everything you see on CSI.

Of course people forget to empty their recycle bins and/or temp files, which is where the loophole is, but once it's deleted, it's gone for good.

thanks for the help coppermine, good looking out ;-D

Sorry Copper but that is a bunch of bologna. :-D

When you delete a file in Windows (even after emptying the Recycle Bin) the file isn't actually deleted. All that happens is the entry to the data in the MFT (Master File Table) is removed and that area of disk is allocated as 'free'. So Windows may or may not overwrite it in the future. This type of 1st generation data is extremely easy to recover.

Once the data has been overwritten it becomes much harder to recover but not impossible. If you are really worried about security or privacy you need to look into getting a 3rd party file shredder. There are some free ones at SourceForge.

free wrote:how and do you reccommend backing up everything on your computer?

It depends on what kind of backup you need? If you need to backup your drives on a regular basis take a look at Norton Ghost. Otherwise just get a CD burner and selectively backup the important stuff.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:41 pm

I hear ya Amazins. I'm aware of how the MFT works, but I thought it would be a little stuffy getting into that here.

For all intents and purposes, when files are deleted, the portion of the hard drive is freed. So in response to his question, the files are not taking up space on the hard drive or decreasing PC performance.

Of course, the only way to "safely" remove data from your pc is to format the drive or use a file shredder as amazin's mentioned.

Anyway, in response to the question about deleting temporary files, you can use the Disk Cleanup utility.

Start>Program>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup

Just go ahead and check all the boxes, including the file compression. It will clean up your hard drive and you should do this before you defrag.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:01 pm

someone mentioned spyware earlier, but there are sometimes things that you intentionally download that bog down your system just as much. they arent really necessary or you dont use them often, but they load on start up anyway and hog your ram. when someone complains their computer is running slow i find thats quite frequently the cause.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby free » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:39 pm

Amazinz wrote:I reformat all my drives on a regular basis as part of maintenance especially on the gaming box. It's not as necessary with WinXP but it's just a habit I got into after years of working with inferior Windows OS. It also makes it easier because I use multiple partitions and ghost the drives so that installing everything isn't really a hassle.

Defragmenting regularly is good advice. A heavily fragmented drive can be a bottleneck on your system. The larger your drive and the more information on it the bigger the performance improvement.

free wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Free: That's a myth. Once it's deleted, it's deleted. Don't believe everything you see on CSI.

Of course people forget to empty their recycle bins and/or temp files, which is where the loophole is, but once it's deleted, it's gone for good.

thanks for the help coppermine, good looking out ;-D

Sorry Copper but that is a bunch of bologna. :-D

When you delete a file in Windows (even after emptying the Recycle Bin) the file isn't actually deleted. All that happens is the entry to the data in the MFT (Master File Table) is removed and that area of disk is allocated as 'free'. So Windows may or may not overwrite it in the future. This type of 1st generation data is extremely easy to recover.

Once the data has been overwritten it becomes much harder to recover but not impossible. If you are really worried about security or privacy you need to look into getting a 3rd party file shredder. There are some free ones at SourceForge.

free wrote:how and do you reccommend backing up everything on your computer?

It depends on what kind of backup you need? If you need to backup your drives on a regular basis take a look at Norton Ghost. Otherwise just get a CD burner and selectively backup the important stuff.

so let me get this straight !+) it is reccommended to defrag, disk clean up, spyware, etc. i'm also pretty familiar with these. how often do you reformat amazinz and how do you go about it; multiple partitions/ ghost the drives? thx
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:47 pm

On my computer I use to play games I reformat about once a week lol. :-D

On the regular PC that I use for surfing, banking, etc. I reformat the drive twice a year. Ghosting is just a fancy name for making an exact copy of your HDD so that you can replace it quickly w/o having to install software, settings, etc. Partitions are used to divide a HDD up into sections that act independently. Especially useful for large drives and multiple OS.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby free » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:55 pm

Amazinz wrote:On my computer I use to play games I reformat about once a week lol. :-D

On the regular PC that I use for surfing, banking, etc. I reformat the drive twice a year. Ghosting is just a fancy name for making an exact copy of your HDD so that you can replace it quickly w/o having to install software, settings, etc. Partitions are used to divide a HDD up into sections that act independently. Especially useful for large drives and multiple OS.

how exactly would you go about reformatting and ghosting !+)
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:04 pm

To create ghost image you need software such as Norton Ghost. If you're using Windows XP you can just reinstall and the XP setup has an option to reformat. Just make sure you backup everything you need. If you're using an older Windows you'll need to create a boot disk. I suggest Googling it and reading about it at some of the tech sites before diving in. Not that it's difficult but just so you have a complete understand.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby free » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:13 pm

Amazinz wrote:To create ghost image you need software such as Norton Ghost. If you're using Windows XP you can just reinstall and the XP setup has an option to reformat. Just make sure you backup everything you need. If you're using an older Windows you'll need to create a boot disk. I suggest Googling it and reading about it at some of the tech sites before diving in. Not that it's difficult but just so you have a complete understand.

sounds good, i run winXP pro; i guess i'll google it and check it out. i've had my laptop for about 2yrs and haven't done it, its probably about time :-?
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:13 am

I have a job where "ghosting" is an essential component to PC support.

Basically, a software program called Ghost makes an exact copy of your hard drive in the form of an image. Yes, it's a large file, but it is your entire hard disk as a "picture." When you re-ghost the hard drive, it quickly and efficiently reloads the "picture" onto your hard drive exactly as it was when you made the image.

Yeah, it's pretty nerdy.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:42 am

If wacky things start happening to your computer and spysweeper, viruscans, and google can't solve it then you might wanna reformat...I have too many games that I haven't beaten to reformat though
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk