.400 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:25 pm

dannyolbb wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
BritSox wrote:One wonders what the reaction would be if a guy was hitting over .400 and was shut down with a few weeks or so left.

I wouldn't respect the guy, .400 or not. We don't need cowards in bb. Ted Williams was at .399 with a doubleheader left in 41. I believe he got a hit in his 1st to abs, putting him over .400. They wanted to take him out for the year, but he said no way. I'm not backing into it. Ted had a huge double header and finished at .406. I respect the decision to play, and not back into it, way more then the actual .400

I really think the media would kill any chance for .400 now. The prssure would be enormous, even for a cool guy like Ichiro. They would have daily ab updates on ESPN, and tons of reporters hounding him every game. The pressure imo would be staggering. Ted in 41 had nothing like todays media world.

Kinda like what happened when they were chasing 61?

You can go quite a few games and not homer, and hit 61. Plus 2 guys were going at it in 98, kind of easing it on 1 guy only. Imo, hitting streaks and .400 are tougher. You can't have a bad week or 2 and hit .400. Every ab is crucial in a .400 run. Not really so in a race to 61.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bravelaker » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:19 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:if tony gwynn never hit 400, i dont think i will ever see anybody hit 400 in my lifetime....

agreed
bravelaker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:09 pm

Just to throw it out there, I wish we would discuss batting averages on the terms of percentages, such as beltran is batting 27.8 % or Maur is at 37.5%, would make things alot easier, enough with the thousanth of a decimal, enough.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Submariner » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:25 pm

HOOTIE wrote:[The prssure would be enormous, even for a cool guy like Ichiro. They would have daily ab updates on ESPN, and tons of reporters hounding him every game.

Kind of like what happened when it looked like he might be even remotely close to breaking the single-season hits record?
Sucking since 2003
Submariner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Jury » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:34 pm

Philliebuster wrote:Just to throw it out there, I wish we would discuss batting averages on the terms of percentages, such as beltran is batting 27.8 % or Maur is at 37.5%, would make things alot easier, enough with the thousanth of a decimal, enough.

I'd much rather say that Mauer is batting "three seventy-five" than that he's batting "thirty-seven point five percent..." O:-)
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:42 pm

Philliebuster wrote:Just to throw it out there, I wish we would discuss batting averages on the terms of percentages, such as beltran is batting 27.8 % or Maur is at 37.5%, would make things alot easier, enough with the thousanth of a decimal, enough.

By using 37.5%, you're not losing that thousanth of a decimal...it's still in the number. :-?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dcskater619 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:30 am

ichiro best chance by far... and i think he does it next year! 8-o
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers