.400 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby San D » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:38 pm

Pujols is still young enough to improve his walks and possibly do it. I don't think he will though. There isn't someone in the majors I'd bet on. Maybe there's someone in the minors....like a Daric Barton (a huge patience guy) or a Howie Kendrick (a huge batting average guy who could learn patience or make even better contact). :-?
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hooligan1 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:03 am

I agree with what's been said about Ichiro. He really does have the best shot. More walks would certainly help, but still....... Bonds, if healthy, could do it. I think an even better possibility than Bonds is Pujols. He's a GREAT hitter, patient and his best years are still in front of him. Not so for Ichiro and certainly not for Bonds......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby blankman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:04 am

Ichiro = OVER-RATED ;-7

If anyone it'll be Bonds on only 120 hits or something ridiculous.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby cristóbal » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:02 am

albert is the only one who might,
ichiro- doesnt walk
barry- too old

dont discount that pujols is 3 years out of his prime

your welcome
cristóbal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:57 am

cristóbal wrote:dont discount that pujols is 3 years out of his prime

Say's who?

I don't doubt that Pujols is an absolute monster at the plate, and could end up being one of the best of a generation, but who is to say at this point? First off, just because he is only 25, doesn't mean his prime is at a magical number of 28. Granted, many players reach their primes at around that age, but this is not a hard and fast rule. Secondly, would it really suprise you to find out that Pujols is actually 28 right now? Wouldn't suprise me in the least...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:02 am

pokerplaya wrote:
cristóbal wrote:dont discount that pujols is 3 years out of his prime

Say's who?

I don't doubt that Pujols is an absolute monster at the plate, and could end up being one of the best of a generation, but who is to say at this point? First off, just because he is only 25, doesn't mean his prime is at a magical number of 28. Granted, many players reach their primes at around that age, but this is not a hard and fast rule. Secondly, would it really suprise you to find out that Pujols is actually 28 right now? Wouldn't suprise me in the least...

I agree with you Pokerplaya that Pujols could be older than 25 right now but if that was the case don't you think MLB would have known already? It seems that a ton of players who have been older than they said have been caught in the last couple of years.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:32 am

Tavish wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:if tony gwynn never hit 400, i dont think i will ever see anybody hit 400 in my lifetime....

Gwynn wasn't much better at drawing walks than Ichiro is, maybe even worse. Ichiro has the added bonus of being a little faster than Gwynn was that can generate a few extra hits. 280 hits for Ichiro isn't all that out of the question, he had 270 in 04 and hit .429 in the second half of the season. Right now I would give Ichiro the best shot, but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone like Pujols made it some day.

true gwynn was slower then ichiro, and gwynn also did not walk much either,,, but he is easily the best pure hitter i have ever seen play,,, and if he did not ever hit 400(although he was close some years),,, i dont really see it ever happening again......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Jury » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:24 pm

If Bonds can become possessed for a season by the same being that possessed Derek Lee this year, he could do it.

The key advantage for Bonds is his limited at-bats, which may allow him to give .400 another run before he's done. The smaller number of at-bats does give him less margin for error though.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby swyck » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:47 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Tavish wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:if tony gwynn never hit 400, i dont think i will ever see anybody hit 400 in my lifetime....

Gwynn wasn't much better at drawing walks than Ichiro is, maybe even worse. Ichiro has the added bonus of being a little faster than Gwynn was that can generate a few extra hits. 280 hits for Ichiro isn't all that out of the question, he had 270 in 04 and hit .429 in the second half of the season. Right now I would give Ichiro the best shot, but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone like Pujols made it some day.

true gwynn was slower then ichiro, and gwynn also did not walk much either,,, but he is easily the best pure hitter i have ever seen play,,, and if he did not ever hit 400(although he was close some years),,, i dont really see it ever happening again......

But he was close some years. A few more lucky hits is what you need, and IMO it would take both luck and talent to do it.

It hasn't happened is not the same as it can't happen. I think it can, and that it will, and that it will be a surprise to everyone when it does and who does it. Brett was a fine hitter before and after his .390, but no one expected he had a shot at .400. He just ripped off a huge year that fell a few weeks short.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:41 pm

Bonds if he played for the Rox. Especially since he will walk half the time.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers