.400 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rob0417 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:05 pm

I got into an argument with a friend of mine the other day, about who has the best chance to hit 400. He said Ichiro. I said Bonds, (as long as he is healthy) but I really don't think anyone will do it anytime soon. Ichiro doesn't walk nearly enough. He would probaly have to get 300 hits to do it. Bonds isn't really healthy and who knows how good he is going to be next year. I think he will be real good but I don't see him puting up ruthian numbers again. The only two guys other guys I can see can making a case for are Pujolis and Helton. Helton is on such a bad offensive team, he could do it, but i think his 360+ years are behind him. Esecially with his injury problems lately i don't think pujolis walks enough to do it. If he get to around 105 -110 walks a year, then he would have a shot at it. On a side note Pujolis's AB for his first 5 years 590, 590, 591, 592, 591.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:08 pm

It is all opinion but I would think Ichiro has the best shot.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:22 pm

Id say Bonds, he walks so much that it really would be possible. The guy may hit .400 in like 330 ABs due to walks but would still qualify. He is getting older which may or may not make a difference in his ability. If I were to guess it would be Bonds but I really dont see it happening anytime soon, pitching is too good these days...
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby rob0417 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:28 pm

The walks are the key, you need to keep you At Bats down. Ichiro gets close to 700 AB A year and to hit 400 with that many AB you need 280 hits. That would shatter his record of last year. I just can't see him doing that. bonds on the other hand could do it in half that many hits. I think much like a Mets no hitter its something I am never going to see.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:33 pm

I just dont see anyone playing now that could hit .400

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:44 pm

kentx12 wrote:I just dont see anyone playing now that could hit .400

I agree that I don't see anyone playing now who could do it. I would say for the sake of your argument that Bonds has a better chance than Ichiro to hit 400 because of all the walks.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:03 pm

if tony gwynn never hit 400, i dont think i will ever see anybody hit 400 in my lifetime....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:18 pm

Obviously the only people who can do it are bonds and ichiro. i doubt we'll see it though because you have to stay hot for the whole season to hit like that.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:19 pm

kentx12 wrote:I just dont see anyone playing now that could hit .400

I agree as well, and I agree with raiders umpire. Gwynn has probably been the best contact hitter of my days to see play. And he never did it. Not many people have even come close. Who knows maybe someone in the near future that aren't playing now will get it but out of the players we know of in the MLB I doubt any of them will do it.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:23 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:if tony gwynn never hit 400, i dont think i will ever see anybody hit 400 in my lifetime....

Gwynn wasn't much better at drawing walks than Ichiro is, maybe even worse. Ichiro has the added bonus of being a little faster than Gwynn was that can generate a few extra hits. 280 hits for Ichiro isn't all that out of the question, he had 270 in 04 and hit .429 in the second half of the season. Right now I would give Ichiro the best shot, but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone like Pujols made it some day.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers