Should the Braves let Furcal go? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should the Braves let Furcal go?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:12 pm

slomo007 wrote:If it really comes down to Giles or Furcal, I would sign Furcal and not think twice. However, that's not comparing him to much as I am not a big Marcus Giles fan. He is too much of an injury risk due to his all-out attitude. Plus, Furcal is a much better defender and is among the absolute best defensive SS in the league.

while i agree with you that this is a potentially liability for FLB, it can be a great thing to have in a guy in real baseball. that kind of attitude inspires hard work in other players and means he'll make some plays that others won't get to.

he's always been one of the "leaders by example" on that team, and i think losing him for the sometimes-erratic furcal loses a lot of "hussle points".
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:21 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
slomo007 wrote:If it really comes down to Giles or Furcal, I would sign Furcal and not think twice. However, that's not comparing him to much as I am not a big Marcus Giles fan. He is too much of an injury risk due to his all-out attitude. Plus, Furcal is a much better defender and is among the absolute best defensive SS in the league.

while i agree with you that this is a potentially liability for FLB, it can be a great thing to have in a guy in real baseball. that kind of attitude inspires hard work in other players and means he'll make some plays that others won't get to.

he's always been one of the "leaders by example" on that team, and i think losing him for the sometimes-erratic furcal loses a lot of "hussle points".

Possibly...but he's more of a risk. In my mind he's too much of a risk. A guy who plays like that can easily collide with something and be out for the season. I am not a huge fan of either of them, but if given the choice I would keep Furcal. I am not sold on him, however. But at least he has room to improve, I think Giles has peaked.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby brandnew » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:34 pm

Giles has had a year with an OPS of .900+

Furcal will most likely never top that... Giles has a lot of room to improve, and to get to those numbers again. Hits for a higher average, higher OBP, more doubles... the only thing Furcal has on him is speed/defense.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:27 pm

brandnew wrote:Giles has had a year with an OPS of .900+

Furcal will most likely never top that... Giles has a lot of room to improve, and to get to those numbers again. Hits for a higher average, higher OBP, more doubles... the only thing Furcal has on him is speed/defense.

Even there Giles has worked hard with Glenn Hubbard to improve his defense, which was admittedly sub-par when he first came up... compare this to Furcal who has been error-prone (w/ great range and a fantastic arm), and I would rather have the hard working and cheaper Giles then the more expensive Furcal.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:19 pm

I don't understand all the love for Furcal. He's a good hitting SS but pretty mediocre IMO. He doesn't do anything spectacular and totally replaceable given ATL's farm system. I'd let him walk if I were Schuerholtz.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby brandnew » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:23 pm

The only thing spectacular/irreplaceable about Furcal is his defense/speed. Though no one they most likely will be as good as him in those departments, they probably wont be complete butchers.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:53 pm

yeah. betemit is fine as far as he goes, but he has neither the arm (arguably the strongest of any IF in the game) or the speed of furcal. don't get me wrong, betemit should be fine. but he's defintely a drop off from furcal. that said, i'm more interested in addressing the shortcomings in the bullpen. ;-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers