Should the Braves let Furcal go? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should the Braves let Furcal go?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:08 am

Yes they should let him go. Let him go to the Cubs. :-B
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prhood » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:10 am

I suspect that the Braves will make every reasonable effort to retain Furcal. Also heard that he would prefer to stay but don't know how that translates into his salary demands if at all. In other similar instances some of a team's highest paid players agree to salary restructuring in order to provide the team with extra room under a cap. In this instance I would think the obvious candidate is Chipper whose 2006 salary of $17m is by far the largest on the team. Would not be surprised if some initiative of this type were to occur. I'm not convinced that Betemit is the answer at SS but he is the best available in 2006 if Furcal leaves.
prhood
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:11 am

chadlincoln wrote:Yes they should let him go. Let him go to the Cubs. :-B

Why do you want him? He's had a lot of injuries over the last couple of years and his best year is now about 6 years behind him?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:19 am

Music2004Man wrote:

Why do you want him? He's had a lot of injuries over the last couple of years and his best year is now about 6 years behind him?
Huh? 2005 was Furcal's 6th season. He may have had some injuries but the last 3 years he has averaged 151 games a season. The Cubs have to be drooling at the thought of adding a good defensive SS than can hit leadoff.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:35 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:

Huh? 2005 was Furcal's 6th season. He may have had some injuries but the last 3 years he has averaged 151 games a season. The Cubs have to be drooling at the thought of adding a good defensive SS than can hit leadoff.

I think music was talking about Mike Hampton, not about Furcal.

The point was made earlier that the Braves didn't have much money left to spend... But isn't the inclusion of all these rookies on their roster lower the payroll? I'd think they would have room to sign a Furcal because of that.

Worst case scenario with this situation, from a Brave's standpoint, would be losing Furcal and him going to the Mets. Furcal would fit well there, and that team would really run rampant on the NL (Now only if Piazza was on another team and not their own, they could really capitalize :-) )
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:03 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:i really think the braves will let furcal go, and then spend that money on some more pitching(probably one more starter and then some needed help in the pen).... furcal was definitely great this year, but with betemit finally impressing some, i think the braves give him a chance to shine next year.... but the key thing for the braves this winter is what to do with marte( i really think he should be put in LF), so that his bat is in the lineup next april.... I think WR is right though that this season is when hamptons payroll is all on the braves, even though the braves do have most of his money already in a account.... knowing the braves luck with rookies this past year, if betemit does not work out,,,, some guy will step up and be a defensive force and a decent bat for them at the SS position.....

oh, i don't know if the bravos are going to go out and get another SP... at least maybe not an expensive one.

rigth now they've got Huddy and Smoltz at the top, and there's a rookie from this year whose name escapes me that was fine this season and should plug in nicely to the 4 or 5 spot. after that, there's hampton and thomson. if hampton is out for the year (and the insurance picks up the tab), the braves will have the money to go for a #3-type guy (actually, it depends how much he's insured for. do the braves get the full salary in addition to the money they've been squirreling away over the years? if so, SCORE!), which would leave thomson and sosa to compete for the remaining spot.

and if hampton isn't out, you can pick three from hampton, sosa, thomson, and that other guy who was up for a couple months when the entire staff was injured.

so i figure they'll focus on shoring up the bullpin. OTOH, perhaps they could just upgrade the rotation and bump sosa or thomson back to the pen....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:06 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:

I think music was talking about Mike Hampton, not about Furcal.

The point was made earlier that the Braves didn't have much money left to spend... But isn't the inclusion of all these rookies on their roster lower the payroll? I'd think they would have room to sign a Furcal because of that.

Worst case scenario with this situation, from a Brave's standpoint, would be losing Furcal and him going to the Mets. Furcal would fit well there, and that team would really run rampant on the NL (Now only if Piazza was on another team and not their own, they could really capitalize :-) )

He'd be a lead-off hitter who can steal bases. Hopefully jump start us like Pods did across town. Great defense too.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby daullaz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:29 pm

George_Foreman wrote:rigth now they've got Huddy and Smoltz at the top, and there's a rookie from this year whose name escapes me that was fine this season and should plug in nicely to the 4 or 5 spot.

Rookie is Kyle Davies, and going into 2005 I thought he was one of the top five rookies in the NL. He is definitely destined for the Atlanta rotation, and I hope they stick him in there for good next year.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:54 pm

furcal is a really good player who the brave will miss. he plays good defense and is solid leadoff man. i just don't know what to make of betemit or any other replacement right now. if the braves want to get bullpen help instead i think that might be the way to go because it needs an overhaul.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:44 pm

RAmst23 wrote:The point was made earlier that the Braves didn't have much money left to spend... But isn't the inclusion of all these rookies on their roster lower the payroll? I'd think they would have room to sign a Furcal because of that.
well, they certainly help, but when you consider that the braves still have very large contracts with chipper, andruw, smoltz, hampton, and now huddy, a fair bit of that 80 mil is tied up. i don't have a breakdown, but you've got to figure that's at least 50-60 mil for just those five.

now, if hampton is out for the year and his salary gets paid by insurance as someone suggested, then all bets are off and atlanta gets to have a little more fun this off-season. ;-D

yes. that would be bad.

and he seems like a good fit with the mets: a bit over-priced and a bit too much of a free swinger.

i swear, if the mets know what's good for them, they shoudl try to bring in brian giles.... that team is just BEGGING for some OBP. >_<
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers