Should the Braves let Furcal go? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should the Braves let Furcal go?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:18 am

daullaz wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:He may walk and they bring up another super-rookie that steps in and makes everyone forget about Furcal. :-D

His name is Luis Hernandez, and while he struggled this year, I still think he's the long-term answer at SS for them.

;-D

And I'm perfectly happy with Betimit filling in in the interim. Don't get me wrong, losing Furcal will hurt. But there are other more immediate concens that need addressing.

Actually, the pen is really their only need, atm...
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:48 am

George_Foreman wrote:
daullaz wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:He may walk and they bring up another super-rookie that steps in and makes everyone forget about Furcal. :-D

His name is Luis Hernandez, and while he struggled this year, I still think he's the long-term answer at SS for them.

;-D

And I'm perfectly happy with Betimit filling in in the interim. Don't get me wrong, losing Furcal will hurt. But there are other more immediate concens that need addressing.

Yeah I do think the pen is a big deal... who is Luis Hernandez, I thought I knew most of them, but I don't know him...
Also, on Reitsma, I know the playoffs were nasty for him, but he did pitch well enough to close in the first half...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby daullaz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:31 am

Niffoc4 wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:
daullaz wrote:

;-D

Yeah I do think the pen is a big deal... who is Luis Hernandez, I thought I knew most of them, but I don't know him...
Also, on Reitsma, I know the playoffs were nasty for him, but he did pitch well enough to close in the first half...

21-year-old in AA. Didn't hit well (.242/2/32/5 in 415 ABs) but his best asset by far is his glove. Hopefully he can learn to hit (after all, he's only 21) but even if he's just an average hitter in the long run, he'd still be a good SS (just not a good fantasy SS).

I also like Eric Campbell, but he's still in rookie league, and I doubt he'll be ready before Hernandez. .313/18/64/15 in about 250 ABs at 20 years old. Pretty good; he could be the long long-term answer. ;-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 116)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:48 am

Shortstop is one of the most important positions on the balldiamond. Greatest impact defensively, and an above average SS can keep a team in the game. I think Furcal is worth the 10 million a year, now it's just whether or not the Braves want to pay it...

Any chance of another NL East team trying to sign Furcal? If this is the case, the Braves have to keep him. Can't let a division rival steal him away.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:40 am

well you've got to figure the nationals would be interested... if they hadn't shelled out the big bucks for christian guzmon, that is. >_<

but furcal would be a great fit for their team; they need a leadoff guy, and his arm would help out in the IF.

philly is of course set with rollins, and the mets have reyes. the marlins could sure use an upgrade at SS, though. furcal/pierre is a nasty-fast combo at the head of the lineup....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:53 am

RAmst23 wrote:Shortstop is one of the most important positions on the balldiamond. Greatest impact defensively, and an above average SS can keep a team in the game. I think Furcal is worth the 10 million a year, now it's just whether or not the Braves want to pay it...

Any chance of another NL East team trying to sign Furcal? If this is the case, the Braves have to keep him. Can't let a division rival steal him away.

I don't doubt that the Braves want to, the problem is that they have an 80 million dollar payroll, and with cutting Kolb and trading Estrada and having all rookie or 2nd year players in the bullpen, I could only see 8 or 9 million available, and if it becomes a case of resign Furcal, or sign Farnsworth and someone else while offering Furcal arbitration...then I go the arbitration route, and the worst thing that happens is one gets an early pick...
Also, I think the Cubs will go hard after him, since they NEED a shortstop and a leadoff man bad...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:17 am

i really think the braves will let furcal go, and then spend that money on some more pitching(probably one more starter and then some needed help in the pen).... furcal was definitely great this year, but with betemit finally impressing some, i think the braves give him a chance to shine next year.... but the key thing for the braves this winter is what to do with marte( i really think he should be put in LF), so that his bat is in the lineup next april.... I think WR is right though that this season is when hamptons payroll is all on the braves, even though the braves do have most of his money already in a account.... knowing the braves luck with rookies this past year, if betemit does not work out,,,, some guy will step up and be a defensive force and a decent bat for them at the SS position.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:26 am

If the choice is between Furcal and Farnsworth and Co., Furcal is the easy choice. The bullpen was bad last year but I don't think Farnsworth is the answer. IMO it is a lot easier to build a quality bullpen for cheap than it is to get a quality SS for cheap.

btw - If Marte is in the lineup why wouldn't he be at 3B? He couldn't be worse defensively than Chipper, could he? Or is the line of thinking that Chipper won't be able to get hurt at 3B like he could in the OF?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:39 am

RAmst23 wrote:Shortstop is one of the most important positions on the balldiamond. Greatest impact defensively, and an above average SS can keep a team in the game. I think Furcal is worth the 10 million a year, now it's just whether or not the Braves want to pay it...

Ramst,

I actually heard that the Mets were interested in him as a leadoff hitter infront of Beltran, Wright, Floyd. The thought is that he wold play short and move Reyes to 2nd, dropping him in the lineup and lessening the pressure (since he hasn't shown much of an inclination to have a high OBP). Reyes is still young though and will show improvement this year. Another thought is Furcal and Reyes at the top of the lineup could create havoc like the Marlins did a couple of years ago with Pierre and Castillo at the top of their lineup.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:55 am

On the Hampton stuff, what I have heard is that he will be out for the entire year because of Tommy John surgery and the Braves want him to take a full year to insure recovery (and so the insurance company will pay his full salary next year...). So next year I think the Braves are hoping to get out of Hampton's salary as well. And then he is a FA after the 07 season right?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers