Sporting News' "...Of the Year" Awards - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sporting News' "...Of the Year" Awards

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sporting News' "...Of the Year" Awards

Postby JTWood » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:55 pm

Below is the Sporting News' Yearly Awards.

The Sporting News wrote:PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Andruw Jones, CF, Braves

At 28, Jones had the breakout season the Braves had hoped for since he was a 19-year-old World Series star. He brought a widened stance into spring training and stuck with it even after a slow April. His persistence paid off. Jones led the majors with 51 homers -- a franchise record -- and the National League with 128 RBIs. He was the first big-leaguer since Alex Rodriguez in 2002 to top 50 homers and became the 12th player to reach 300 career homers before age 30.

What set Jones apart was how he elevated his game when he was needed most. He carried the offense through June when Chipper Jones was out, and he hit an N.L.-best 10 homers in close-and-late situations. He also continued to play center field as well as anyone in the game.

THE TOP 5
Voted on by 498 major leaguers
1. Andruw Jones, CF, Braves (194 1/2 votes)
2. Derrek Lee, 1B, Cubs (126)
3. Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals (63)
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B, Yankees (38)
5. David Ortiz, DH, Red Sox (35 1/2)

All-Stars

American League

1B: Mark Teixeira, Rangers
2B: Brian Roberts, Orioles
SS: Michael Young, Rangers
3B: Alex Rodriguez, Yankees
OF: Johnny Damon, Red Sox
OF: Vladimir Guerrero, Angels
OF: Manny Ramirez, Red Sox
C: Jason Varitek, Red Sox
DH: David Ortiz, Red Sox --
Reliever: Mariano Rivera, Yankees, and Joe Nathan, Twins (tie)

National League

1B: Albert Pujols, Cardinals
2B: Jeff Kent, Dodgers
SS: Felipe Lopez, Reds
3B: Morgan Ensberg, Astros
OF: Andruw Jones, Braves
OF: Miguel Cabrera, Marlins
OF: Ken Griffey, Reds
C: Paul Lo Duca, Marlins
Reliever: Chad Cordero, Nationals

AL MANAGER OF THE YEAR

Ozzie Guillen, White Sox

Preaching his brand of Ozzieball -- heart, brains and guts -- Guillen, a second-year manager, transformed a staid, station-to-station group into an all-for-one, aggressive club. Guillen, 41, kept his team in control when its 15-game lead in the AL Central was cut to 1 1/2 in September; the Sox won their last five games and finished with an AL-best 99 victories.

"He did a tremendous job with the team he has, and he gets the best out of his players," Indians manager Eric Wedge wrote on his ballot.

THE TOP 3
Voted on by all 14 AL managers
1. Ozzie Guillen, White Sox (6 votes)
2. Ken Macha, A's (5)
3. Eric Wedge, Indians (2)

NL MANAGER OF THE YEAR

Bobby Cox, Atlanta Braves

The Braves entered the season in the unfamiliar role of underdog, then had to break in 18 rookies and overcome injuries to their pitching staff. Cox, 64, still guided his club to its 14th consecutive division title. He called this season the most satisfying of his career because of the challenges his team overcame.

His fellow NL managers were impressed, voting him the league's top manager for the fourth consecutive year and eighth time overall. "Due respect to the best manager in the NL," Giants manager Felipe Alou wrote on his ballot.

THE TOP 3
Voted on by all 16 NL managers
1. Bobby Cox, Braves (12 1/2 votes)
2. Ned Yost, Brewers (3)
3. Phil Garner, Astros (1/2)

AL PITCHER OF THE YEAR

Bartolo Colon, RHP, Angels

When the pennant races heated up, so did Colon. Living up to the expectations of a No. 1 starter, he was 9-2 after July 31.

Colon, 32, was the AL's only 20-game winner, going 21-8 with a 3.48 ERA. It was his second 20-victory season. Colon also ranked among the top 10 AL starters in innings, strikeouts, ERA and WHIP.

THE TOP 3
1. Bartolo Colon, RHP, Angels (130)
2. Mark Buehrle, LHP, White Sox (18)
3. Johan Santana, LHP, Twins (13)

NL PITCHER OF THE YEAR

Chris Carpenter, RHP, Cardinals

Healthy for a full season for the first time since 2001, Carpenter enjoyed a career year. He went 21-5 -- reaching 20 for the first time -- with a 2.83 ERA. He was second in the NL in wins and strikeouts and tied for second in innings pitched.

From mid-May to early September, Carpenter, 30, was dominant, going 22 consecutive starts without allowing more than three earned runs. He was at his best against other top pitchers, beating Roger Clemens twice and Dontrelle Willis once.

THE TOP 3
1. Chris Carpenter, RHP, Cardinals (179)
2. Dontrelle Willis, LHP, Marlins (63)
3. Roger Clemens, RHP, Astros (29)

AL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Huston Street, RHP, A's

Everyone figured Street, 22, was going to be a top big-league closer. Not many figured it would be so soon. But when Octavio Dotel injured his elbow in May, Street -- just one year out of college -- got the job.

Street led all rookies with 23 saves, in 27 opportunities, and he held opponents to a .194 batting average while recording a 1.72 ERA.

THE TOP 3
1. Huston Street, RHP, A's (86)
2. Jonny Gomes, RF, Devil Rays, (33)
3. Dan Johnson, 1B, A's (21)

NL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Willy Taveras, CF, Astros

If he didn't make Astros fans forget about Carlos Beltran, Taveras certainly lessened the disappointment.

Possibly the league's fastest player, Taveras, 23, provided a spark as the leadoff man or No. 2 hitter in the order. He led the majors with 71 infield hits and was tops among rookies in runs, hits and stolen bases, and he hit .291. He also proved to be an exceptional fielder.

THE TOP 3
1. Willy Taveras, CF, Astros (124)
2. Jeff Francoeur, RF, Braves (78)
3. Ryan Howard, 1B, Phillies (31)

AL COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Jason Giambi, 1B/DH, Yankees

This is a tale of two comebacks -- first, from a variety of ailments that caused Giambi to miss 82 games in 2004, then from early-season struggles that had the Yankees wanting to send him to the minors. (Giambi refused.)

Giambi, 34, finished with 32 homers, 87 RBIs and a .271 average. He also led the majors with 108 walks and a .440 on-base percentage.

THE TOP 3
1. Jason Giambi, 1B/DH, Yankees (83)
2. Richie Sexson, 1B, Mariners (47)
3. Bob Wickman, RHP, Indians (26)

NL COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Ken Griffey, CF, Reds

Apparently, all Griffey needed to do to return to elite status was stay healthy. After being limited to 83 or fewer games in each of the past three seasons, Griffey, 35, appeared in 128 in 2005. His numbers looked like those of someone who played more frequently. He hit 35 homers, drove in 92 runs and batted .301. His .576 slugging percentage ranked fourth in the league.

THE TOP 3
1. Ken Griffey, CF, Reds (189)
2. Tony Clark, 1B, Diamondbacks (22)
3. Todd Jones, RHP, Marlins (21)

AL All-Stars and Rookie, Pitcher and Comeback Player of the Year Awards are based on voting by 221 American League players; NL based on voting by 277 National League players.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:59 pm

Andruw Jones? You've got to be kidding me. The players themselves must be idots.
Last edited by blankman on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Tavish » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:00 pm

THE TOP 5
Voted on by 498 major leaguers
1. Andruw Jones, CF, Braves (194 1/2 votes)

Look, I know Marcus Giles is small, but only counting him as half a vote is simply disrespectful. :-t

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:02 pm

How is Ken Macha second for manager of the year? Am I wrong, or does he work for the Oakland Athletics? The front office manages the team.

Call me a homer but Joe Torre deserves to be top 3. I have no problem with Ozzie and Wedge there, but Ken Macha over Joe Torre? After an 11-19 start; after 4/6 of his pitching rotation was hurt; after being ripped continuously by Steinbrenner...and STILL ripping off an amazing streak to end the year and win his 8th straight AL East title...he deserves to at least be in the top 3. :-t

Other than that, and Andruw Jones, they aren't terrible.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby kentx12 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:07 pm

blankman wrote:Andruw Jones? You've got to be kidding me. The players themselves must be idots.

What I found more shocking than Andrew being 1st "which I agree with" is Lee being ranked ahead of Pujols for 2nd.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:10 pm

Haha, Joe Torre? Over $200 million and they barely make the playoffs. I dont really feel sorry for him or the team that they have made terrible pickups in almost every offseason. Pitching or no pitching, it doesnt take much of a manager to coach a team made of top players. Having Giambi come back was the icing on the cake. Cano performed well and ARod was of MVP caliber. Torre does nothing more than smooth egos.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:16 pm

kentx12 wrote:
blankman wrote:Andruw Jones? You've got to be kidding me. The players themselves must be idots.

What I found more shocking than Andrew being 1st "which I agree with" is Lee being ranked ahead of Pujols for 2nd.

I won't get too much into the Jones thing, but he posted a downright pitiful .263 BA with an OBP that wasn't even top-40 in the NL. Heck, even with all the HR he hit, his SLG still finished 5th.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby kentx12 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:19 pm

blankman wrote:
kentx12 wrote:

I won't get too much into the Jones thing, but he posted a downright pitiful .263 BA with an OBP that wasn't even top-40 in the NL. Heck, even with all the HR he hit, his SLG still finished 5th.

I agree the Avg. was awful and the obp wasnt great but what he did for the team when they needed him is enough IMO to get him the player of the year. The Braves would have been lucky to finish 3rd in the division if it werent for him.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:14 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote: Pitching or no pitching, it doesnt take much of a manager to coach a team made of top players.

I disagree, I think coaching a team made up of top players like the Yankees would be extremely hard on any manager. Just think about how tough it would be to get the right team chemistry.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:19 pm

griffey over bay for the 3rd OF position is the shocker to me.... i will always be a griffey fan, but bay was a monster this year,,,, and even though grif was nice, he did not compare to bay at all.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers