Brian Roberts...value? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian Roberts...value?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:10 pm

If I could get him in the 14th round, would that be great value???
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby baseball6791 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:18 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:If I could get him in the 14th round, would that be great value???

I'd say that it would be pretty nice value there. Remember, he is still a 2B who will get you good AVG. at least 90+ Runs, good SB. His power numbers will probably improve from 2 years ago but decrease from this year. I'd say only around 8-10 HR. Either way, in the 14th I'd take him.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:48 pm

I do not know what the injury situation with him is likely to be at the start of next season, but healthy Roberts will not make it to round 14. Someone will grab him in the round 8-11 range just like they did Mark Loretta in 05.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:03 am

I agree with what a lot of people are saying in that Roberts is going to be overvalued in a lot of leagues. I actually think he'll be kept in my keeper league (probably good for me, bad for the guy who keeps him) but I wouldn't look at him before rounds 10-14. I think he will fall to about 8-11 spot among 2nd basemen this year (and that's in a shallow 2b pool).
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tuff_gong » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:37 am

Like everyone else said, he's giong to be overvalued going into next year, I'm going to wait until the middle teen rounds (13-16) until I think about drafting him.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:01 pm

I'm against everyone here because I think he should be taken any time after the 6th round because if he hits more then 8 Hr and keeps having more then 45+ doubles he's continue to worth more than most 2b. He's just a lite version of marcus giles in my eyes.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:06 pm

LEt's not undervalue the guy.

Don't forget that this guy stole 23 in 2003, 29 in 2004 and 27 this year. So he's at least good for some SB - I would pencil him in for 25-30 SB.

His average and power was always very good from the right side, his problem was that he his .215 (.315 SLG) against lefties. Well, he must have figured something out because he was up to .273 (.449 SLG) against lefties this year. When added to his great numbers against righties he finished with .314 (.515 SLG) overall.

I would expect the power to come down somewhat but:

.300 15 HR - 70 RBI - 90 R - 28 SB

from a 2b is not bad.

That would put him behind Soriano, Kent, Utley, Cantu but right in there with Giles and Lopez for the fifth best 2B.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:36 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:LEt's not undervalue the guy.

Don't forget that this guy stole 23 in 2003, 29 in 2004 and 27 this year. So he's at least good for some SB - I would pencil him in for 25-30 SB.

His average and power was always very good from the right side, his problem was that he his .215 (.315 SLG) against lefties. Well, he must have figured something out because he was up to .273 (.449 SLG) against lefties this year. When added to his great numbers against righties he finished with .314 (.515 SLG) overall.

I would expect the power to come down somewhat but:

.300 15 HR - 70 RBI - 90 R - 28 SB

from a 2b is not bad.

That would put him behind Soriano, Kent, Utley, Cantu but right in there with Giles and Lopez for the fifth best 2B.

I agree with the above. For someone to say they wouldn't take him unless it was after the 14th round is just odd.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:57 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:.300 15 HR - 70 RBI - 90 R - 28 SB

Didn't I say lesser version of giles. He's going to a solid 2b to use.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby grammysboy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:23 pm

I began to notice this last year. Roberts is a great first-half player. Check his stats the last two years and compare pre all-star and post all-star. The difference is dramatic. SB is a perfect example. In '04 he had 29 total, 22 before the break. This year he had 27, 18 in the first half and 9 in the second.

You do have to respect the doubles he hits, setting a new Oriole record in '04 with 50 and collecting 45 this year, 22 in the first half and 23 in the second.

I play in primarily auction leagues so it is difficult for me to correlate auction value to draft position, but I would estimate he will sell in our auction next spring for close to $20 which will be about what Kent will sell for. Soriano will go for $30+ but that gets dampend a little because most the leagues I play in use OBP instead of BA.

Final thought, pick up Roberts in your draft and ride him until July, then trade him for Tadahito Iguchi or Chase Utley. You could have got about any player you wanted for Roberts in July this season.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers