100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Torre staying in NY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:23 pm

nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:
nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:That's good news, but what they really need is Mazzone. And BJ Ryan.

Good for Joe, he deserves to stay. Doesn't deserve the crap he gets from George but he deserves to stay, it's his team.

As for the B.J. Ryan thing, all indications are it's going to be a Contreras situation again between NY and Boston, with NY offering more money likely but Boston offering BJ the chance to close, which the Yanks can't match, not with Mariano there anyway.

And I don't see the Mazzone thing happening.

So they're giving up on Foulke? :-?

Throwing him out the door?

Not throwing him out the door but it doesn't hurt to have a back-up plan, does it?

Then Ryan won't be guarenteed anything more than he'll be guarenteed in New York...

It will be interesting, but I think the Yankees have the advantage because they have more moeny to offer, plus the heir to Mariano Rivera's throne in 2-3 years.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:31 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:
nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:That's good news, but what they really need is Mazzone. And BJ Ryan.

Good for Joe, he deserves to stay. Doesn't deserve the crap he gets from George but he deserves to stay, it's his team.

As for the B.J. Ryan thing, all indications are it's going to be a Contreras situation again between NY and Boston, with NY offering more money likely but Boston offering BJ the chance to close, which the Yanks can't match, not with Mariano there anyway.

Not throwing him out the door but it doesn't hurt to have a back-up plan, does it?

Then Ryan won't be guarenteed anything more than he'll be guarenteed in New York...

He won't be guaranteed anything more? lemme ask you something: Who's more likely to falter and be replaced as closer? Foulke or Mo? Exactly.

Why wait 2-3 years to close when there's a distinct possibility, given Foulke's recent struggles, that he could be closing as soon as THIS year, not just for Boston but for some other team?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:38 pm

nsulham wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:
nsulham wrote:

He won't be guaranteed anything more? lemme ask you something: Who's more likely to falter and be replaced as closer? Foulke or Mo? Exactly.

Why wait 2-3 years to close when there's a distinct possibility, given Foulke's recent struggles, that he could be closing as soon as THIS year, not just for Boston but for some other team?

I understand what you're saying. What I meant was, Foulke is going to get his shot. Ryan would not be guarenteed the closers role. There is a much greater chance that he gets the job sooner in Boston, but still, the Sox can't offer him the closer's role immeadiately this offseason.

Of course he could go somewhere else as well. I thought we were just discussing the Yanks and Sox. He could very well wind up going somewhere else where he'd be guarenteed the job. Plenty of teams need the help.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:43 pm

Agreed Bronx.

Let's try steering this thread back to Torre, since that's what it's about. Like I said before, it's good to see him coming back on his terms instead of being forced out. Let's just hope all the bickering between he and the Boss doesn't fester and explode next season. Hate to see a good guy like Joe go out on any terms other than his own.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:44 pm

B.J. Ryan has watched the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry unfold from afar in recent years, admiring the intensity and energy that is attached to every pitch.

Now that he has a chance, he wouldn't mind experiencing it firsthand.
Ryan, the Orioles' closer and free-agent-to-be, said yesterday he doesn't have to be a closer and wants desperately to play for a winner.

"That's got to be a good atmosphere to play in every day," he said. "Playing in front of 40- or 50,000 in New York and a packed house in Boston, the atmosphere is there every night. If you go out and produce, you're going to have a lot of people behind you."

Finding bullpen help will be a priority for the Yankees, with only Mariano Rivera signed and Tanyon Sturtze and Scott Proctor under their control.

Ryan, 29, a hard-throwing lefthander, seemed excited by the prospect of being courted by the Yankees. "Of course you'd listen. It's the Yankees," he said. "They put winners on the field. That's what it boils down to: You want to play for a winner."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...y-yankees-print
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:59 pm

Stottlemeyer gone...Torre back...one more move to make...

Come on, we all know what it is....Halloween is the perfect day for his contract to officially end and his new career at the unemployment office to start.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:01 pm

Of course he stays. He is a consistent winner, and anyone who thought he would be gone (except if he left on his own) was definitely kidding themselves. He's done a great job, and will continue to do so...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:29 pm

hmm ...

I wonder if he can find a way to lose the 2006 WS with a 250 million, or even better, a 300 million dollar payroll ... going to be an absolutle blast to watch. ;-D (like we have a choice but to watch)

what an absolutle disgusting organaization. :-t

also I am the only one who sees the hypocrisy in the fact that every spankee fan is making excuses on Joes behalf because "nobody" could have won with Mussina, RJ, Wright, Small and Pavano ...

Wanna take a guess a what his rotation will be next season? ;-7
No wait... please no guesses ... this will just turn into five more pages of a spankee shopping list
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:31 pm

Oh and BTW, I like Joe as a person and have even stated in these very forums that I think he should be commish someday.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:54 pm

wrveres wrote:what an absolutle disgusting organaization. :-t

disgusting organization? :-b :-b you got jokes man. not only are the yankees the most recognized baseball organization in the world, we have the most rings. ;-D no team has more history, more class, or better fans (i know im arrogant but it's true :-D ). steinbrenner may be a jerk but lets not forget he doesnt skimp on where he can make an impact, the wallet. he dishes out money like nothing, why? to bring the best players he can to the yankees, to try to win a championship, and to please the fans. trust me if you had an owner that did that you wouldnt call it "absolute disgusting organization." dont hate man. respect. :-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers