Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Torre staying in NY

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:49 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2195140

Now all he needs is some pitching...
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:52 pm

Great news. I'm glad he's staying.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:04 pm

for 13 million over the next 2 years,,,, i would have stayed as well ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:06 pm

:-? bittersweet news. right now im just hoping cashman or the new GM gets some help for the team. i dont see the yankee acquiring any new starting pitchers, i actually like the addition of chacon and wang into the rotation. hopefully pavano can come back strong and give the yankees 3 young pitchers. hopefully we can get some bullpen help. b.j. ryan would look lovely in pintstripes. ;-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:13 pm

That's good news, but what they really need is Mazzone. And BJ Ryan.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:18 pm

dyuen87 wrote::-? bittersweet news. right now im just hoping cashman or the new GM gets some help for the team. i dont see the yankee acquiring any new starting pitchers, i actually like the addition of chacon and wang into the rotation. hopefully pavano can come back strong and give the yankees 3 young pitchers. hopefully we can get some bullpen help. b.j. ryan would look lovely in pintstripes. ;-D

How is it bittersweet? It would have been idiotic to get rid of Torre after all he has done. He did a tremendous job of turning the collection of all-stars into a 'team' over the last month. They made an amazing run and captured another American League East title, one more impressive and special than the rest.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:20 pm

blankman wrote:That's good news, but what they really need is Mazzone. And BJ Ryan.

Good for Joe, he deserves to stay. Doesn't deserve the crap he gets from George but he deserves to stay, it's his team.

As for the B.J. Ryan thing, all indications are it's going to be a Contreras situation again between NY and Boston, with NY offering more money likely but Boston offering BJ the chance to close, which the Yanks can't match, not with Mariano there anyway.

And I don't see the Mazzone thing happening.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:47 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:How is it bittersweet? It would have been idiotic to get rid of Torre after all he has done. He did a tremendous job of turning the collection of all-stars into a 'team' over the last month. They made an amazing run and captured another American League East title, one more impressive and special than the rest.

well by now you've probably caught on that im no torre fan. dont get me wrong, it's not that i dislike the guy, quite the opposite i respect him immensely for the class and skill he's brought with him to the yankee managers job. and yes i give him a lot of credit for the rings and the crap steinbrenner's put him through. however i just dont think he's the right guy to manage the new group of yankees steinbrenner's assembled. torre's the type of manager to keep everyone in check and keep the train rolling along. the new yankees showed a good case of inconsistency this year and at times just didnt play hard. if this was torre's last year then i would have been on board with getting a new, more.... vocal manager. but it is good to see that torre will stay a yankee for at least one more year.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:07 pm

nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:That's good news, but what they really need is Mazzone. And BJ Ryan.

Good for Joe, he deserves to stay. Doesn't deserve the crap he gets from George but he deserves to stay, it's his team.

As for the B.J. Ryan thing, all indications are it's going to be a Contreras situation again between NY and Boston, with NY offering more money likely but Boston offering BJ the chance to close, which the Yanks can't match, not with Mariano there anyway.

So they're giving up on Foulke? :-?

Throwing him out the door?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby nsulham » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:38 pm

blankman wrote:
nsulham wrote:

So they're giving up on Foulke? :-?

Throwing him out the door?

Not throwing him out the door but it doesn't hurt to have a back-up plan, does it?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers