who's the winner?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:39 pm

Tetris
35%
Mario
65%

Total votes : 43

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:07 pm

logan wrote:my argument isn't that people play it and that it isn't a popular game. though for the life of me i don't know why. it's that it didn't change anything in the gaming industry. games didn't evelove or become better becasue tetris was made. as it plainly states in the article it has no story. those games i mentioned made the story an essential part of gaming to go along with gameplay. metal gear was the first game that actually used the technology at the time to interact on a level never thoguht of before. reading your memory cards, making you switch the stick from one port to the other to make it easier to defeat one of the bosses to name just a few. that game is easily one of the most revloutionary games ever becasue of what it forced other developers to do to compete. tetris did none of these things.

broad appeal and entertaining to some? yes

revolutionize the industry? don't think so.

Well said. But I don't know about Metal Gear being revolutionary either. Metal Gear actually first appeared on the NES and was a mildly entertaining action game and although it was probably the first to utilize the "stealth" approach to gameplay, it wasn't quite revolutionary.

What makes Tetris the best is simply that it defies genre. If you go genre specific, there's an argument for the most influential game in each one.

But I digress... when it comes to just plain fun and pure gameplay bliss, Mario dominates the competition.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:12 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
logan wrote:DOOM and WOLF 3D created FPS gaming. what did tertis change?

Wasn't Castle Wolfenstein the first FPS?

Never mind. Talking to myself:

Wikipedia.com wrote:A first-person shooter (FPS) is a combat computer or video game where the player's on-screen view of the game world simulates that of the character. According to this simple definition, a game like Battlezone, or many flight simulators would be included. However, in the early 1990s, the term came to define a very specific genre of game with a first-person view, almost always centered around the act of aiming and shooting with multiple styles of weapons and limited ammunition. On-rails shooters are often viewed from a first-person perspective.

The modern FPS genre emerged during the early 1990s, at the point when home computers became sufficiently powerful to draw basic 3D graphics in realtime. The breakthrough games were id Software's Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. The latter, in particular, defined the genre so emphatically that FPS games were commonly referred to as "Doom clones" for a significant period after its release.

First-person shooters have been subject to substantial controversy due to the levels of violence included in some games, and the visual realism that can be more inherent in the shooting of things in a first-person perspective.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby prodpaul » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:28 pm

Tetris is my vote.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:06 pm

Nice, Mario wins. ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:57 am

pokerplaya wrote:Anyone ever play Wrecking Crew? Crazy game. Great game. Might have to go ebay it....and Marble Madness too!

8-o

Wrecking crew rocked! ;-D

I really should go get one of the old systems off ebay. So many fun memories, and so many great games. I'm sure there are tons more that I don't remember. Wrecking crew is a good one though. ;-D

Wasn't a big fan of Marble Madness, but did play it some. ;-D It wasn't horrible or anything. Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:20 am

Dude, Madison, get an emulator and play NES on your computer all day!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:02 am

Nintendo only survived because of Mario. Gotta go with that.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:22 am

chadlincoln wrote:Nintendo only survived because of Mario. Gotta go with that.

Word, Nintendo would have gone the route of Sega if it weren't for Mario and Link. Unfortunately, they're having a real hard time keeping up with Sony and MS now. Oh well, we'll see when the new Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft platform war starts back up this holiday season. I have to say, XBox 360 looks totally awesome.....

I'll take mario over a hedgehog pinball any day.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:04 am

Coppermine wrote:Dude, Madison, get an emulator and play NES on your computer all day!

Yanno....that's not a bad idea. Thanks! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:10 am

Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Dude, Madison, get an emulator and play NES on your computer all day!

Yanno....that's not a bad idea. Thanks! ;-D

Don't forget SNES also. ;-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk